Greetings, I'm New Here

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PelianAsh
Textkit Neophyte

Greetings, I'm New Here

Post by PelianAsh »

Hello,

I first started studying Ancient Greek many years ago at university, and have kept up a bit over the years. Last year I went back to school for fun, and got a semester of Latin (finally) under my belt and quite a lot of study in The Iliad, which has been my primary interest for many years. I am still very much interested in studying The Iliad, though I am also wanting to keep up with Latin.

I have plenty of resources here, but am no longer taking classes and would love to have other students of classics to discuss translation issues with, etc. So, here I am!

Si vales, valeo. :)

Grant
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greetings, I'm New Here

Post by Grant »

Hi PelianAsh,

Good to see someone else who's interested in the Iliad. Homer certainly started things off, and every line is to be handled with care and respect. Actually it's not quite true to say that the Iliad is my 'primary interest', since there is so much other good stuff in Classical Greek. I tend to meander from author to author, picking out what I find suites my inclination at the moment .. little 'sorties' with Sophocles and Euripides and Plato are satisfying enough, and of course TIME is the eternal issue. But granted - Homer will always probably emerge 'on top', and deservedly so. I will occasionally dip into some of Iliad 22 (having recently acquired the edition by Irene de Jong, in the Cambridge Greek and Latin series), and I can't help peeking ahead to the final showdown between Achilles and Hector - great stuff indeed! Anyway, I'm around line 167, where Zeus takes up: "Among them the father of men and gods began with the words . . ."