Textkit Logo

Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, line191

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, line191

Postby byzantion45 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello fellow lovers of Greek. I have been "doing" Greek since 2008. Before that I spent a number of years on Latin, but I have found that as you work on a new language, old skills fall away. In 2009 I studied Open University A396, passing it reasonably well at the end of the year. Since then I have continued to do classical Greek, with a year out for an introduction to the modern language 2012/13. Now I read Homer with the vowels of modern Athens! As is often the case, I find that the more I learn the less I seem to know. And so I arrive on this board with a specific sticking point. Does anybody have a clue why, in Iliad Book 1 line 191, Homer uses a present optative between two aorist optatives, on the face of it regular replacements in an indirect question of deliberative subjunctives with optatives? I refer to the verb form "enarizoi". I note that this is an additional clause within the "whether" half of the question, but cannot fathom why Homer should switch tenses. Does any body have any ideas?
byzantion45
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board