Textkit Logo

Χαίρετε

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Χαίρετε

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 am

Hello everyone.

I am joining this forum as an attempt to revive my knowledge of the ancient greek language.

I am a Greek who has studied the ancient language at school, and I do have a good grasp of texts, but it is mostly a passive skill. My current goal is to become more fluent in using it myself, remember the polytonic, understand texts even better etc.

I do expect a lot of interference from the modern language, but that's fine. I just want to be a bit fluent in attic.

I will be using the First Greek Book as a basic textbook, as well as other resources as needed.

Very happy to be here

Πηνελόπη
Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος
renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Χαίρετε

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:28 pm

I haven't been posting for quite sometime, but it's the time to really study greek, so I'm back to your inspired company.

After giving it a lot of thought, I will be focusing of NT greek. Most of my sources are attic, from school. However the hellenistic and byzantine world always inspired me a lot. So I will be using a couple of manuals I found here, my New Testament, and many byzantine texts I have from religious books. As you may know, the Greek Orthodox Church still uses them, so there is easy access not only as texts, but also as a language one can hear. I understand, know and accept all the issues of pronunciation, but I will be using the modern one.

I have been studying other languages as well, however this is a special case, so I don't expect to use the same techniques exactly. I do however want to progress fast, as there is no excuse for me not to immerse fully in the language.

It is amazing to find people from all over the world I can communicate with in the ancient language, and I admire you all a lot for doing this. It can't be easy. Also, this forum is a lot of fun, because there is joy in learning, as well as knowledge. The perfect combination! :D
Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος
renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board