kalhemera

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
wmlee
Textkit Neophyte

kalhemera

Post by wmlee »

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so I will try to thread the passage between the Scylla of human-spammer resemblance and the Charybdis of odd-ballitude.

I'm 67, retired teacher of English and Statistics, living in Japan, and once again picking up the study of Greek: first in high school, then 4 years later in college, then 9 years after that to fulfill my doctoral foreign language requirement, and now to study Homer.

I feel that I will never read Homer well enough to surpass the experience of reading in translation, but every translation is unsatisfactory--as translators are the first to point out--so I hope that familiarity with the original will deepen my appreciation of translations and enable me to work out alternatives when they seem necessary.

Otherwise, I really don't have much interest in Classical Greek writers.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that reading a limited corpus and lots of formulae, I can accomplish something. The site has been very helpful so far. That's all.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: kalhemera

Post by uberdwayne »

Welcome! Good to see your revisiting the idea of picking up Greek! I Hope you find the the encouragement you need to continue pursueing your goal!
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ