epubs with CAPITALS intead of italics

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
phil
Textkit Fan

epubs with CAPITALS intead of italics

Post by phil »

Greetings all. It's been a while since I've been here, (I found Latin too hard in the end) but I hope this post might be useful to someone, and isn't too far off topic for this board.

For Christmas I bought myself a Kobo Glo eReader, and started reading free epub books on it. However I soon became frustrated by the way they used CAPITALS or _phrases in underscores_ to indicate that the original paper book had italics. Does anyone else find that annoying?

So I wrote a wee program to automagically convert capitals and words in underscores back to italics. It also converts hyphens back into em dashes, and translates US spelling into UK and vice versa. It also allows you to put a cover on your book, if it doesn't have one already. It only works on the epub format, but even so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying it? You don't need to know anything about the epub format, as my program takes care of all that. You might be guinea pigs though, as I've only run it on Windows98 and XP, but it's written in Java, so it should work on any computer.

If you would be interested in testing it, and letting me know how you get on, especially if you have a different type of computer or eReader, you can PM me here, or drop me a line at EpubValmorphaniser@yahoo.co.uk, and I'll send you all the files you need. There will be no obligation on you to get back to me with your comments if you don't want to, and of course you can keep using the program.

I just wrote it for myself, not as a commercial product, and I'm going to give it away for free when all the bugs are ironed out, so I'm not asking you to test it for free while I make a profit.

I am guilty of the heinous crime of not being on line 24/7. In fact I have to walk into town to use the computers at the local library to access the internet, so if I don't get back to you straight away, please don't think I'm ignoring you. It might just be raining!

Cheers
Phil