Linqua Latina Pars II

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
sunhawk43
Textkit Neophyte

Linqua Latina Pars II

Post by sunhawk43 »

Greetings:
Personal data: My name is Thomas Corr. I am 70 years old. I recently retired from a government attorney profession. I live in Oregon. I am a survivor of throat cancer. I have 10 biological children and 24 grandchildren and one great grandchild.
Language interests: I have an undergraduate degrees in classical history and languages and aviation technology; and I also hold a Jurisprudence Doctor degree. In my university work, I studied Biblical Hebrew, Koine and Classical Greek, and Latin. I have also completed several college classes in Japanese and Spanish. Presently I am dabbling in some Pimsleur materials in Modern Hebrew, Mandarin Chinese, and French. I am fairly fluent in Esperanto (for which I have the deepest respect and love). I am presently refreshing my Latin and Greek. I just completed Machen's NT Greek (for probably the fifth time) and am now completing Rouse's Greek Boy At Home and the Lingua Latina materials. I have finished Pars I and am now in Pars II -- Roma Aeterna. Internet research on my study questions brought me to the Testkit URL and hence this registration submission....
Other interests: My pastimes include astronomy, telescope making, physics, hiking, bird-watching and watching and re-watching on Netflix all the Scifi series (Startrek, Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, and, especially, my favorite, Firefly). I own and ride (usually accompanied by my wife) a Harley Davidson alternating between my Road King and Dyna Super Glide. I was a professional pilot and flight instructor for a number of years. I owned and rebuilt my own airplane.

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Linqua Latina Pars II

Post by Osterdeich »

Thomas,

Greetings!

I wish you were my neighbor. We'd have some pretty cool conversations over the picket fence. You've done quite a lot in your life.

I hope you find Textkit to your liking.

O.

sunhawk43
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sunhawk43 »

Thank you. I hope that somehow we can make some chats "over the picket fence" happen. Even though I expected to have so much time on my hands when I retired, I was deluded...the days swiftly disappear and it seems the old cliche "the faster I go, the behinder I get," is too, too true. I have been going through Allan and Greenough's sections on the Uses of the Subjunctives in order to make more sense out of some of the passages in the Roma Aeterna text book that I am muddling through. In addition, I just began reading the 12 volume set of The Story of Civilization by Will and Arial Durant. I am a bit over half way through the second volume, The Life of Greece. But I need to take a break from so much time studying in doors this past year and get back to some other matters: I hope find an electronic technician to replace some burned out capacitors in the computer module on my 10-inch Meade telescope so that I can get out at night as the weather here in Oregon begins to favor star-hopping and I hope to make some long weekend trips on my Harley Davidson Road King with my wife. I always try to take a Latin or Greek reader with me on such ventures -- makes for getting into a good napping mood when we find a sunny, grassy park to take a break in.

Osterdeich
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Osterdeich »

sunhawk43 wrote:I have been going through Allan and Greenough's sections on the Uses of the Subjunctives in order to make more sense out of some of the passages in the Roma Aeterna text book that I am muddling through.
Tell me about it…volume I is kind of sort of easy, but the second volume…not so much! :(
sunhawk43 wrote:In addition, I just began reading the 12 volume set of The Story of Civilization by Will and Arial Durant. I am a bit over half way through the second volume, The Life of Greece.
How are you liking it? I know it was once very popular and the set was available everywhere. Amazon has it for a somewhat reasonable price used ($75). Tempted…

sunhawk43
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sunhawk43 »

The Durant's volumes on The History of Civilization have filled a much needed void in describing, not by the usual impersonal stream of simply the raw data of history (events and dates), but by providing reasons why and how we got where we are today or, at least, to the time just prior to WWII (which makes the books, for that reason, a bit out of date (data-wise). Volume 1 lays out their premise that as humans traversed from being nomadic hunter-gatherers to sedentary farmers to factory-working, urbanized industrialists, they were (consciously and unconsciously) experimenting with resolutions to find the right balance in the natural (in some cases little understood or recognized, in other cases exploited) tension between order and freedom. Those experiments and the impacts from them led to significant changes (sometimes quite adversely) to our ethics, sexual and social morals, religious notions, arts, sciences, literature and drama. The work of the Durants installs an up-close personal and intimate human element in the story of civilization. Volume 2 begins the civilization-by-civilization installments that demonstrate the experiments and impacts. I am very much enjoying volume 2, perhaps because of my personal bias to things Greek (and Latin). I do wish to make it clear that I do not agree with some of their suggestions and conclusions -- which is probably as it should be -- or one of us would be redundant. The singular weakness that I have noticed is the absence of a treatment of the History of Africa. At least China and Japan gets some (well-deserved) notice in volume one. Speaking of things Latin, does anyone have any help on distinguishing the use of a participle with a form of esse in past time from the same participle being used as a predicate adjective of the same verb in present time?