Latin Springboard

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Latin Springboard

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I added the Latin Springboard to my homepage. It is a html-page which displays lists of links to reference works written in Latin or about Roman (and Greek) antiquities. Each link points to a random page inside of the respective work (or site). By refreshing the page new random links are generated. The purpose is to give access to a random bit of information either in Latin or about Roman (and Greek) antiquities, for those moments when you want something of that sort but are unwilling to make up your mind up about what exactly you want to read about.

Currently, the following reference works are supported
  • Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology
  • William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities
  • Oskar Seyffert's Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
  • William Hazlitt's Classical Gazetteer
  • Anthony Rich, The illustrated companion to the Latin dictionary, and Greek lexicon
  • Daremberg & Saglio, Dictionnaire des Antiquités Grecques et Romaines [French]
  • Johann J. Hofmann's Lexicon Universale (1698)
  • Latin Wikipedia
You can try it out on my homepage, but if you find it useful, I would recommend to download the code and put it in a local html-file (a lot faster that way). I find this script quite useful to quench my daily thirst in these matters.

Please excuse the bloated java-script used, but that was my first java-script ever (and accidentally also my first html-page created from scratch using only a text editor).

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Latin Springboard

Post by Scribo »

Perfect! Carole! any word on Ripman's book on Latin? Is it worth buying in your opinion?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Latin Springboard

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Scribo!
Scribo wrote:any word on Ripman's book on Latin? Is it worth buying in your opinion?
Which work of Ripman do you mean? As for A handbook of the Latin language, it is certainly well worth having. However, it is not available as a reprint, as far as I know, and original editions are mostly fairly pricey. Also, its salient feature, the Classified Vocabulary, has been transcribed by me and can be downloaded for free from my homepage (definitely do so, it is a must-have in my opinion). The other two components - the grammar and the dictionary (especially the latter with its focus on Latin sample sentences/phrases) are quite good, but there are other decent dictionaries around (if only the Forcellini existed as a digital edition).

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.