beta test the new Details page

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

beta test the new Details page

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Textkit's details page is the web page that pulls specific file information from the database - terrible file name for a web page I know, but hey, I'm a programmer and we're known for unfriendly terms like this.<br /><br />please test this new page and if there are problems/suggestions let me know. <br /><br />http://www.textkit.com/details2.php?ID=6&author_id=5<br /><br />the whole 'top downloads' thread motivated me to make some long coming changes. Basically i want to compress the details and download pages into just the details. The reasons for not doing this in the first place was the scripting headaches between the details page >> the logging code >> the download page and download file prompts.<br /><br />My motivation for doing this is less about download counting and more about Search Engine Optimization and saving bandwith. Outside sites link to both the details page and download page which reduces Textkit's overall performance in Google. This should correct that.<br /><br /><br />I think there's an bug in IE5 and perhaps the download feature will not work??<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:beta test the new Details page

Post by Emma_85 »

everything seems to work fine for me (ie6). :)<br />you just need to state the difficulty of the texts, that's still missing, otherwise it looks great.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

very good - the difficulty field is actually just lazy coding on my part. I need to not list difficulty for the e-books.<br /><br />I'll add in a little something to hide that if the details page is viewing a e-book.
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

one problem I just spotted is that I need the script to read the file size of the PDF so that the download prompt can show estimated time left. I'll get that in.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I like the idea of amalgamating the two pages into one, it means one less "hop" for me to get to the download page. <br /><br />Unfortunately, I get "page cannot be displayed" errors when I click on either link. And I can't even right-click to save the file. I've got a few things cooking on this computer right now, so I'll try again later and I'll also on another computer.<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Murphey's Law at work here.<br /><br />The Montgomery Server over at Miami is down :-\<br /><br />It should be back up soon....
Textkit Founder