Motion

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Motion

Post by bingley »

I found this article while looking for something else: http://archimedes.fas.harvard.edu/mdh/motion.pdf<br /><br />It's about how Latin and Greek distinguish between place to which, place in which, and place from which. There are examples from different languages (Greek, Latin, English and German), and passages from ancient authors discussing the differences. What the Greeks and Romans thought about Greek and Roman grammar in their own words 8) 8)<br /><br />Never did find what I was looking for. I sometimes think the internet is a gigantic conspiracy to distract me. :P

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Motion

Post by Keesa »

That is neat! Fascinating thing, language...and you're right about the Internet conspiracy, that's for sure! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Motion

Post by Carola »

Thanks for this - this area of grammar can be a little confusing as Latin and English deal with a lot of this "positioning" quite differently; the article explains it quite well. Now can you just find me a good article on "indirect speech" to get all of the tense differences clear in my poor brain! (I don't ask for much... ;) )