product wishlist

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:product wishlist

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=516;start=30#5048 date=1062023456]<br />Catullus is awesome. I love watching him destroy himself over this girl, Lesbia :'(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Catallus should have read Ovid.... Oh, wait... they showed up in the wrong order, didn't they? ;)<br /><br />I have to confess to not being much keen on love poetry of any sort, so I've avoided Catallus..... (Okay, I'm a heathen.....)<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I"ve never read Catullus, either-or Ovid, for that matter, although I imagine I'll probably get around to that...I enjoy Livy, I am not fond of my translation of the Illiad, and I have the Oresteia, but I haven't started it. I also have either the Oddessy or the Aenid lying around here somewhere (I can't remember which it is... :-[), and since I know I don't have the Oddessy, it must be the Aenid. :-\ <br /><br />I like the idea of note-paper and notecards. They'd be as easy to ship as bookmarks, and even more useful, for me, at least. Unfortunately, this is the wrong thread to launch into a full-blown discussion of the disintegration of the customs of writing long, chatty letters to your friends, but notepaper with a Latin phrase running across the top sounds like a good idea to me! <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well, I like Catullus because he is easy and (too?) honest. Then again, I also like love poetry although I am quite annoyed by love itself....
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Well, it's a completely different topic, but I don't think that what people call love these days really is...<br /><br />What about pretty little plaques and stepping stones for the garden? With Latin or Greek inscriptions, or the Latin names of certain more popular flowers. <br /><br />Keesa <br />

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

for inscriptions of any kind, so far as we have no need for shorthands as medieval scribes did, why not use full capital letters as ancient greeks and romans did? mimicking, to say one of the elegant form of ionic or attic, inscriptions? like<br /><br />[size=150]μητρον αριστων<br /><br />But then again, there is something called "paleography", which means that we cannot read a word from medieval manuscript with only the shallow knowledge of the lowercase letters we see on the printed textbooks. There was various styles and abbreviations, and other scribal devices to aid the tedious copying job. All counted, only to obscure the readibility.<br />(now what's my point? lol)<br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4957 date=1061914355]<br /><br />Journals ... what do you guys think of that? I nice pretty design on the cover. And interspersed among the blank or lined pages will be short quotes/phrases in Latin or Greek.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Journals just spiked a lot higher on my interest list - I have to keep a vocab, grammar, author biography, anything else of interest journal as part of the new course.... (I'm interested to see if "Anonymous" comes up as an author, and what sort of a bio I come up with for him.....)<br /><br />Kilmeny

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Anonymous:<br />DOB unknown<br />fl. 8th century BC to 20th AD<br />Death unknown<br /><br />Country: Europe and latterly world-wide<br /><br />Works:<br />a<br />b<br />c<br />c<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />z<br /><br />Languages: Greek, Latin, most modern European languages

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

;D LOL so true, that would make an awfully big agenda entry no?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=516;start=45#5099 date=1062203975]<br />Journals just spiked a lot higher on my interest list - I have to keep a vocab, grammar, author biography, anything else of interest journal as part of the new course.... (I'm interested to see if "Anonymous" comes up as an author, and what sort of a bio I come up with for him.....)[/quote]<br /><br />You have to keep all of this in a journal? It sounds like you'll need the "Costco" sized journal. ;D<br /><br />My only requirement for a journal is that it can lie flat no matter which page I've turned to. I don't like fighting with the journal to keep it open while I'm trying to write. However, I am not too crazy about spiral bound journals. Am I too picky?<br /><br />A nice leather cover with a Latin (or Greek) embossed pattern or design would be nice. <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I had a very nice journal once...it did stay open, but it was't spiral-bound. (I do hate a spiral-bound journal! I am not sure why...) Unfortunately, it had neither Latin nor Greek phrases in it, nor can I remember what kind of a journal it was. <br /><br />So, other than letting you know that such a thing does exist, I have been, I'm afraid, no help at all. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

A couple of days ago when I dropped by a grocery, I saw a jar of alphabet cookies. It would suffice the latin lovers. But I miss I had greek alphabet cookies for my future kids. <br /><br />Hmm, cookie press might do if I have an oven.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=516;start=45#6059 date=1063608412]<br />A couple of days ago when I dropped by a grocery, I saw a jar of alphabet cookies. It would suffice the latin lovers. But I miss I had greek alphabet cookies for my future kids.[/quote]<br /><br />Greek cookie cutters. Hmm. That'll appeal to a niche market. Ok, how many of you guys actually bake?<br /><br />But you've given me an idea. "Greek alphabet soup"! <br /><br />I don't know if you're familiar with alphabet soup. They come in a can with small pastas in the shape of letters of the alphabet. Imagine the pasta in the form of the Greek alphabet! <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

:raises hand: I bake! And so do my sister and my mother. And I would love Greek cookie cutters...I would eat "[size=150]π" up as though there were no tomorrow. Many times in math, I would love to just gobble up the whole concept and be done with it. ;D <br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

It just came up. A greek TAPE writer.<br />The thing you can type in relief on a colored plastic strip.<br />Might be on the market in Greece.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=516;start=45#6270 date=1063947751]<br />It just came up. A greek TAPE writer.<br />The thing you can type in relief on a colored plastic strip.[/quote]<br />What is this?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think it's one of those little things that look sort of like guns, but they imprint letters onto plastic tape, and then you can stick the tape onto stuff to label it.<br /><br />Here lies a photo: http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/picture ... ss1155.jpg
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Oh, one of those! I haven't seen/played with one in decades. We have an electronic label maker now, no relief though. <br /><br />What about those magnetic poetry sets? Where you get a bunch of words, and you can piece words together to form sentences on your fridge. Although it would have to have all the noun/adj/verb endings, and verb endings for all tenses, plus of course the noun/adj/verb root.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I think some of you really need a holiday in Greece, in Nea Philadelphia/Athens would probably be best. The biggest supermarket in the Balkans is there... you shouldn't have too much trouble finding Greek letters there...<br />The milkshakes there are great, too, and the whole building is air-conditioned :-). Used to go there a lot...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=516;start=45#6284 date=1064003912]<br />I think some of you really need a holiday in Greece, in Nea Philadelphia/Athens would probably be best. The biggest supermarket in the Balkans is there... you shouldn't have too much trouble finding Greek letters there...<br />The milkshakes there are great, too, and the whole building is air-conditioned :-). Used to go there a lot...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I wonder if I could grab a chance in my lifetime. :'(