Textkit Logo

What Greek/Latin Textbooks do you own?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Re:What Greek/Latin Textbooks do you own?

Postby mingshey » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:12 am

You aren't! I react the same way when I get new books! And I sometimes go looking for new books (hence the "prospecting in used bookstores") just for the rush!
<br /><br />Count me in. tho' I'm in low budget nowadays to behave a nerd. :-[ So I'm with red-hot eyes looking for free, online materials, and that's how I got to this site.<br /><br />Two sanskrit dictionaris(one big and one small), sans' grammar, ugaritic grammar, akkadian grammar, etc. are sleeping like the sleeping beauties in my bookshelves and I'm fighting with the daily business(and other practical books for my job I have to get through) to reach the beauties.<br /><br />
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Carola » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:30 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4684 date=1061584115]<br /><br />I am so excited! <br />(I must seriously be the biggest nerd in :-\ existence... oh well! ;D)<br />[/quote]<br />Long live Nerds!!! If there were more nerds there would be:<br /> less wars (can't shoot and read!)<br /> less violence (not many violent nerds are there?)<br /> more peace and quiet (apart from the pages of books rustling)<br /> less traffic (tried reading while driving?)<br />Never apologise for being a nerd! ;D
phpbb
Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby MDS » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:07 am

You're not a nerd, I phoned my house today 12 times within a span of 3 hours to see if my amazon books (ordered prior to textkits' association >:() had arrived. Alas they had not. <br /><br />Jeff, you originally said you would post your Latin collection at a later date. Did I miss this or do you have so many that you must conserve energy in order to type them all out? :o
MDS
Textkit Fan

Postby Keesa » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:29 am

Count me in with the nerds! I love reading; I love books! (Why else become a writer?) If I were making any money right now, I would be spending it on books. Instead, I'm doing the next best thing; writing books! <br /><br />Long live the book! <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Milito » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:15 pm

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4734 date=1061601152]<br />Two sanskrit dictionaris(one big and one small), sans' grammar, ugaritic grammar, akkadian grammar, etc. are sleeping like the sleeping beauties in my bookshelves <br /><br />[/quote]Oh MY! Where did you find these? I'm drooling on my keyboard!<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby benissimus » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:37 pm

I know, me too :o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:19 am

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4685 date=1061584199]<br />How do you like Gildersleeve? We'll be posting that one sometime next month.<br />[/quote]<br />Cool! I've browsed through the book and it looks really really good. OK, I haven't gotten out of my Latin diapers yet, but I get the feeling that it's a very good book.
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:20 am

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4687 date=1061584972]<br />To be honest, that post was preemptive, but I will be receiving the book within 20 minutes or so... ;) I knew it would be arriving today so I just decided to post it without complete regard for the truth... :o [/quote]<br /><br />You and Max Headroom ... must be 20 minutes ahead of the rest of the world! 8)
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:23 am

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4699 date=1061589243]<br />You aren't! I react the same way when I get new books! And I sometimes go looking for new books (hence the "prospecting in used bookstores") just for the rush! :o [/quote]<br /><br />You should have seen me checking the Order Status and Tracking # of my M&F book numerous times... even when I knew it couldn't possibly have gotten very far since the last time I checked. <br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:24 am

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4734 date=1061601152]<br />Two sanskrit dictionaris(one big and one small)[/quote]<br /><br />You're learning Sanskrit? I only know one person who has learned it. <br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:27 am

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4747 date=1061608037]<br />Jeff, you originally said you would post your Latin collection at a later date. Did I miss this or do you have so many that you must conserve energy in order to type them all out? :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm waiting to see his list too....<br /><br />Jeff: Ship all your Latin books to me and I'll inventory them for you. ;)<br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:29 am

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4738 date=1061602204]<br />Long live Nerds!!! If there were more nerds there would be:<br /> less wars (can't shoot and read!)<br /> less violence (not many violent nerds are there?)<br /> more peace and quiet (apart from the pages of books rustling)<br /> less traffic (tried reading while driving?)<br />Never apologise for being a nerd! ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I rather prefer the term geek. <br /><br />Hmmm... you've got a point there. I've actually seen people reading while driving on the highway, it's kinda scary to see!<br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:09 am

Milito:
Oh MY! Where did you find these? I'm drooling on my keyboard!<br />
<br />well, the sans' dictionaries thru amazon and the grammar from a web site. ugaritic and akkadian also thru amazon. I had better gotten through the online materials first if the books were to be abandoned like now. :-[<br /><br />mariek:
You're learning Sanskrit? I only know one person who has learned it.<br />
<br />I was scratching the devanagari characters and, as I said, the books are sleeping who knows how long. But someday, if I ever get on the orbit with greek I might start sanskrit again. ::)
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:02 pm

wow! some of you really have so many greek and latin books! <br />mine nearly all in german and nothing spectacular, don't think i'll post my book list here... would look kind of small...<br /><br />anyway, my latin book is for 11 year olds.<br />lol, can't believe i've been learning latin for 6 years now (i'm 17). my latin grammar book is also full of asterix and other pretty pictures :D.<br /><br /><br />but these are the two books i use most of all:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]grammatei~on[/face] by Karl Lahmer Klett<br />and <br />Basiswortschatz Griechisch GR12<br />Michael Mader<br />Landesinstitut für Erziehuung und Unterricht Stuttart <br />(which basicly means it's government press and all i had to pay for was the paper)<br /><br />
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Carola » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:40 pm

A query for some of you people into learning lots of languages - is there a something like a Textkit site for Arabic? It's a language I would love to learn (when I get a spare moment or two) as it has a long history, spoken by many millions of people and must have some incredible literature going back to mediaeval times. If there are no books on the web, even a recommendation for a grammar book would help. I see this as a long term project as I am fairly pushed for spare time at the moment, but one of these days.....<br />
phpbb
Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby jadenbane » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:48 am

annis wrote:(inhale deeply)...<br /><br />You young 'uns take note: I'm 34. I've been collecting Greek books since I was about 15. Only collect the best!<br /><br />Greek Grammars/Composition:<br />Smyth "Greek Grammar"<br />Abbott & Mansfield "Primer of Greek Grammar"<br />Goodwin & Gulick "Greek Grammar"<br />Curtius "A Grammar of the Greek Language" (tr. Wm Smith)<br />Monro "Homeric Grammar"<br />Pharr "Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners"<br />Crosby & Schaeffer "An Introduction to Greek" (my college text)<br />Hanson & Quinn "Intensive Greek"<br />Machen "New Testament Greek for Beginners"<br />M.H.B Marshall "Verbs, Nouns and Postpositives in Attic Prose"<br />North & Hillard "Greek Prose Composition"<br />F.G. Allinson "Greek Prose Composition"<br />Lewis and Skyler "Foundations for Greek Prose Composition"<br />Isaac Flagg "A Writer of Attic Prose"<br /><br />Loebs:<br />Lucian, vols II, VI<br />Quintus Smyrnaeus "The Fall of Troy"<br />Achilles Tatius<br />Chartion "Callirhoe"<br />Nonnos, Dionysiaca vols I-III (mindbogglingly deranged reading)<br />Marcus Aurelius<br />Epictetus, vols I-II <br />Iliad, vol I<br />Greek Anthology, vol. IV<br /><br />Teubneriana<br />Rzach "Hesiodus Carmina"<br />Arrian "Anabasis" (of Alexander the Great, not Xenophon's)<br />Ilias I, II edidit West (brand new)<br />Carmina Anacreontea<br /><br />Oxford Classical Texts<br />Sophocles Fabulae<br />Aeschyli Tragoediae<br />Thucidides vols I-II<br />Herodotus vols I-II<br />Xenophon Historia Graeca<br /><br />Other Texts<br />Polybii Historiae, edidit Bekker, 1844<br />West, "Iambi et Elegi Graeci"<br />"The Oxford Book of Greek Verse"<br /><br />Commentaries, Dictionaries, Readers, etc.<br />2x Middle Liddle (one gets written in, the other not)<br />Cunliffe, "Dictionary of the Homeric Dialect"<br />Authenrieth, "A Homeric Dictionary"<br />Becker's Iliad w/ notes & vocab<br />Kirk et al., "The Iliad: A Commentary" vols I-VI ($$$)<br />Tyler "Selections from the Greek Lyric Poets"<br />Jebb's commentary on Antigone<br />Dodd's on Euripides' Bacchae<br />Elliott's on Eur. Medea<br />Stanford's "Odyssey of Homer" books A-M<br />West's on Hesiod's Theogony<br />West's on Hesiod's Works and Days<br />Smyth, "Greek Melic Poets"<br />Hopkinson, "Greek Poetry of the Imperial Period"<br />Campbell, "Greek Lyric Poetry"<br />Bryn Mawr commentaries on Books I and III of Herodotus<br />Barbour's "Selections from Herodotus"<br />United Bible Societies' "The Greek New Testament" with dictionary<br />C.E. Freeman & W.D. Lowe "A Greek Reader for Schools"<br />Finally, a freaky Cambridge University Press thing where some school library bound together school editions of Euripides' "Iphigeneia at Aulis, Medea, Hecuba" and "Hercules Furens"<br /><br />I have more books on Arabic grammar than I do Latin, so I will not report my Latin titles.<br />

Hazzah! Someone else with a copy of Abbott & Mansfield's "Primer of Greek Grammar." This was the first classics text. To say the least I choked on it.
jadenbane
Textkit Neophyte

Postby edonnelly » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Since this thread has been revived from 2003...

jeff wrote:How do you like Gildersleeve? [Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar] We'll be posting that one sometime next month.

What ever happedend to this book? Is it here and I missed it?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library
edonnelly
Textkit Zealot

Postby jadenbane » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 pm

edonnelly wrote:Since this thread has been revived from 2003...

Haha! Woops.
jadenbane
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Episcopus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:34 pm

Can any one recommend a good Latin Verse Composition book which I might be able to find on abebooks?

~E
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby rimon-jad » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:15 am

Hey, what can I say?
rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Postby ROMARIUS » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:22 am

LINGUA LATINA PRO AUTO-STUDIO in chinese edition...i'm sure you won't be interested!
ROMARIUS
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Fabiola » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:50 am

I have:

Latin:
Wheelock's Latin (6th edition)
36 Latin Stories to Accompany Wheelock's Latin (Bolchazy-Carducci)
First Year Latin (the book with Ben Hur on it)
Concise Latin Dictionary (Harper-Collins)
Fairy Tales in Latin ( :D )

Think that's it...
phpbb
Fabiola
Textkit Member

Postby GlottalGreekGeek » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:24 am

What Greek/Latin textbooks do I own?

None!

(Ha ha)

unless you count PDFs downloaded from textkit
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Postby bellum paxque » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:33 am

No Greek - yet.

On hand:

Latin textbooks

Wheelock's Latin, 3rd edition
Moreland & Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course
Lingua Latina: Familia Romana
Lingua Latina: Roma Aeterna

Latin texts with notes

Aeneid Books I-VI, R.D. Williams
Aeneid Books VII-XII, R.D. Williams
Cicéron: Le Bien et le Mal (De finibus, III) (French/Latin)
Cicero's Orations, Charles E. Bennett (1904 - beautiful condition, a real find!)
bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Postby Celtica » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:15 am

Latin

In Hard-copy book form:

The New Latin Primer -JP Postgate, this edition dated 1911(falling apart).
Via Latina: Abbott's First Latin Book -Edwin Abbot[i], dated 1893 (Newest aquisition, as of today, very good condition).
[i]Gepp & Haigh Lat-Eng Dictionary
, dated 1911.(falling apart).
Oxford Latin Minidictionary, dated 1994 (in immaculate condition).
Cicero Verrine V, -R.G.C Levens, dated 1965 (very good condition).

Then I have a few books on Roman 'personalities' -generals and the like and also on Roman culture. Again these are mainly dating from the late 19th century, one on Tacitus dating from the early 19th.

In PDF or txt/doc form on the Computer:

D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners[/i[(my main text)
[i]New Latin Primer by CE Bennett
(Notice a lot of Latin textbooks have almost identical names?)
De Bello Gallico -Caesar
Cicero's Select Orations
Also a electronic Eng-Lat-Lat-Eng Dictionary.

I've only been 'collecting' for about 6 months, so not a bad haul, considering that I live in rural New Zealand, where Latin books are a rare find and shop-keepers look at you askance and ask "Why are you learning THAT?" when you ask if they have any books on the subject.

The texts I use regularly are D'ooge's Latin for Beginners, and Postgate's New Latin Primer.
Celtica
Textkit Neophyte

Postby incipio » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:38 am

i started out with wheelocks.
now i am using a textbook called learn to read latin. it is from yale university press written by Andrew Keller and Stephanie Russell.
has anyone ever heard of it?
we are using it at the university of minnesota and supposedly it is only the second year it's been used.
i find it much better than wheelocks. there is a less vocab and much more in the way of constructions, which is very helpful.
incipio
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Sanskrit » Sun May 14, 2006 12:03 pm

The only Latin book I have is a Latin/ Dutch dictionary, published by the Universiteit van Amsterdam.
...and what I've downloaded from textkit. :oops:

Sanskrit
Sanskrit Grammar, William Dwight Whitney
Teach yourself Sanskrit, Micheal Coulsan
A concise Elementary Grammar of the Sanskrit Language, Jan Gonda
A small Hindi/ Sanskrit dictionary and small Sanskrit/ English dictionary
Sanskrit-Grammatik mit sprachvergleichenden Erläutungen
Sanskrit Bharati, 5 small Sanskrit learning books from India.

...and a collection of Sanskrit literature, which I bought and a lot of ebooks from: http://mum.edu/vedicreserve and other websites.
Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Postby Carola » Sun May 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Well, these are the ones I owned about a year ago:
Aeschylus, Agamemnon, transl. Conington, J., Clarendon, Oxford, 1907
Arnold, T.K., A Second Latin Book & Practical Grammar, Rivingtons, London, 1857
Aristotle, On the Athenian Constitution, transl. Kenyon, F.G., London, 1907 George Bell & Sons
Barrow, R.H., The Romans, London, 1951, Pelican
Beye, C.R., The Illiad, the Odyssey and the Epic Tradition, Gloucester, 1972, Peter Smith
Breasted, J.H., Ancient Times - A History of the Early World, Boston, 1916 Ginn & Co
Bury, J.B., A History of Greece to the Death of Alexander the Great, London, 1941, Macmillan & Co
Caesar, J., The Civil War Books I & II, ed. Carter, J.M., Warminster, 1990, Aris & Phillips
Cary, M. & Haarhoff, T.J., Life & Thought in the Greek & Roman World, London, 1946, Methuen & Co
Catullus, Catullus - Selections from the Poems, Ed. Kinchin Smith, F & Melluish, T.,1946, London, George Allen & Unwin
Cicero, A.Licinio Archia Poeta Oratio ad Iudices, Ed. Nall, G.H., Macmillan & Co, London, 1908
Cicero, De Oratore Book III, transl. Rackham, H., London, 1948 William Heinemann
Cicero, In Catilam, I & II, Ed. Stout, J.F. & Jeffery, T.J., University Tutorial Press, London, (undated)
Cicero, Letters to his Friends, Vol. 1, transl. Bailey, D.R.S., Middlesex, 1978, Penguin
Cicero, On Government, transl. Grant, M., London, 1993, Penguin
Cicero, Pro Murena, ed.Macdonald, C., London, 1995, Bristol Classic Press
Cicero, The Fourth Verrine, Ed. Hall, F.W., Macmillan & Co, London, 1928
Cicero, The Life & Letters, transl. Jeans, G.E. New York, 1901 MacMillan & Co.
Cicero, Verres in Sicily, Ed. Grose-Hodge, H., & Davies, E.W., CUP, Vambridge 1939
Cottrell, L., The Bull of Minos, London, 1966 Pan Books
Desroches-Noblecourt, C., Egyptian Wall Paintings, Milan, 1962, Fontana Unesco
Ehrenberg, V. From Solon to Socrates – Greek History & Civilisation during 6th & 5th Centuries B.C, London 1971 Methuen
Flecker, H.L.O. & Macnutt, D.S., Complete Latin Course Book III, Edinburgh, 1939 Longmans
Fordyce, C.J., Catullus – A Commentary, Oxford, 1961 Clarendon
Freeman, C.E., Selections from Ovid, Oxford, 1947 OUP
Giles J P & Pfitzner E N, An Intermediate Latin Grammar with Exercises, Rigby Ltd 1954, Adelaide
Giles J P., An Intermediate Latin Reader, Rigby Ltd 1947, Adelaide
Goodwin, W.W., A Greek Grammar, Macmillan & Co, London, 1946
Gould H & Whiteley J., Selections from Five Roman Authors (Nepos, Caesar, Sallust, Livy & Cicero, New York 1960 Macmillan & Co
Grant, M., Latin Literature – an Anthology, Middlesex, 1967, Penguin
Grant, M., Nero – Emperor in Revolt, New York 1970, American Heritage Press
Gray, M D & Jenkins, T., Latin for Today - Book 1, London, Ginn & Co 1934
Heiberg, J.L., Mathematics & Physical Science in Classical Antiquity, transl. MacGregor, D.C., OUP, London, 1022
Herodotus, The Histories, Transl. de Sellincourt, A., revised Burn, A.R., Middlesex, 1973 Penguin
Hillard, A.E. & Botting, C.G., Graduated Latin Selections, London, 1925 Rivingtons
Homer, The Illiad, transl. Rieu, E.V., Middlesex, 1974 Penguin
Homer, Illias, London, 1839, Valpy
Horace Carminum Book II, Ed. Page, T., London, 1953 Macmillan & Co
Horace, Epodes and Odes, A New Annotated Latin Edition, Ed. Garrison, D.H, Oklahoma, 1991, University of Oklahoma Press
Horace, The Complete Odes & Epodes, transl. Shepherd, W.G., Penguin, Middlesex, 1983
Hutchinson, R.W., Prehistoric Crete, London, 1962 Penguin
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires, transl. Green, P., Middlesex, 1967, Penguin
Kelly, M., View from the Forum, Melbourne, 1973, Cheshire
Kelly, M., View from Olympus, Melbourne, 1984, Longman Cheshire
Kennedy, B.H. The Revised Latin Primer, Harlow, 1962 Longman
Kennedy, E.C., Latin Unseens from Roman History, New York, 1959 Macmillan & Co
King Gillies, W. & Shepherd, F. P. Latin Grammar for Schools & Colleges, Toronto, Oliver & Boyd 1934
Lawrence, D.H., Etruscan Places, Middlesex, 1950 Penguin
Lewis, C. T. Elementary Latin Dictionary, Oxford, 2002. Oxford University Press
Livy, Ab Urbe Condita, Liber XXV, Ed. Monro, W.D., Oxford, 1940
Livy, The Early History of Rome – Books I – V, Transl. de Sellincourt, A., Middlesex, 1982 Penguin
Livy, The War with Hannibal, Books XXI to XXX, Transl. de Sellincourt, A., Middlesex, 1965 Penguin
Livy XXVII & Horace Odes, Trans. Tonge, A.W., Sydney 1935 Jackson & O’Sullivan
Lucan, Civil War, transl. & notes Braund, S.H., Oxford, 1999, OUP
Mackail, J.W. Latin Literature, London 1930 University Manuals
Morwood, J., Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek, New York 2001, OUP
Nairn, J.A. & Nairn, G.A., Greek Through Reading, Ginn & Co, London, 1956
North, M. & Hillard, A., Latin Prose Composition for Schools, London, 1956 Rivingtons
Ovid, The Metamorphoses, transl. Innes, M.I., Penguin, Middlesex, 1955
Ovid, Selections from Ovid, Ed. Freeman, C.E., Oxford, 1947, Clarendon
Pallottino, M., The Etruscans, transl. Cremona, J. Middlesex, 1955 Penguin
Palmer, L.R. The Latin Language, London 1954 Uni. of Oklahoma Press
Petrie, A., An Introduction to Roman History, Literature and Antiquities, London, 1938 OUP
Plato, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo & Phaedrus, transl. Fowler, H N, London, 1913, William Heinemann
Plato, The Republic, transl. Davies, J.L., London, 1916, Macmillan & Co
Plato, The Last Days of Socrates, transl. Tredennick, H., Middlesex, 1969 Penguin
Plutarch, Moral Essays, transl. Warner, R., notes Russell D.A, Middlesex, 1971, Penguin
Plutarch, On Love, The Family and The Good Life, transl, Hadas, M., Mentor, New York, 1957
Plutarch, The Rise and Fall of Athens, transl. Scott-Kilvert, I., Middlesex, 1960, Penguin
Postgate, J.P., Selections from Tibullus & Others, London, 1940 MacMillan & Co
Ridgeway, F.B.A., The Origin of Tragedy, CUP, Cambridge, 1910
Robinson, C & Hunter P., Roma - A Reader for the Second Stage of Latin, Cambridge, 1961 CUP
Roman Drama – Plautus, Terence & Seneca, Ed. Corrigan (various translators), Dell, New York, 1966
Sallust, Bellum Catilinae, ed. McGushin, P. London, 2003, Bristol Classic Press
Sallust, The Jugurthine War & The Conspiracy of Catiline, Transl. Handford, S.A., Baltimore, 1967, Penguin
Sallust, transl. Rolfe, J.C., London, 1971 Loeb
Sandars, N.K., (transl.) The Epic of Gilgamesh, London, 1962, Penguin
Scullard, H.H., From the Gracchi to Nero – A History of Rome from 133 BC to AD 68, London 1972, Methuen & Co
Seneca, Moral Essays Vol.1, transl. Basore, J., 2003, Michegan, Loeb - HUP
Smith, W., A Smaller Classical Mythology, London, 1905, John Murray
Tacitus, Annals XIV, Ed. Woodcock, E.C. London, 2001 Bristol Classical Press
Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome, transl. Grant, M., Middlesex, 1971 Penguin
Taplin, O., Literature in the Greek World, Oxford, 2000 OUP
Taplin, O., Literature in the Roman World, Oxford, 2000 OUP
Tarn, W.W., Hellenistic Civilisation, rev Griffith, G.T., Cleveland, 1961 Meridian
Tibullus, Selections from Tibullus, Ed. Postgate, J.P., London, 1940, Macmillan & Co.
Toynbee, A J., Greek Civilization & Character, New York, 1964, Mentor
Trollope, A., The Commentaries of Caesar, London 1877, Wm. Blackwood & Sons
Wheeler, M., Rome Beyond the Imperial Frontiers, Middlesex, 1955 Penguin
Woodcock, E.C., A New Latin Syntax, London, 1959 Bristol Classic Press
Woolley, L., Ur: The First Phases, London, 1946, Penguin
Virgil, The Aeneid, transl. Jackson Knight, W.F., London, 1971, Penguin
Virgil, Aeneid Book IX, Ed.Hardie, P, Cambridge, 2000, CUP
Virgil, Georgics Book 1, Ed. Page, T. London, 1952 Macmillan & Co
Waddell, H., Mediaeval Latin Lyrics, Middlesex, 1952, Penguin
Xenaphon, A History of My Times, transl. Warner, R., Middlesex, 1981, Penguin
Zimmerman, J.E, Dictionary of Classical Mythology, New York, 1966 Bantam

This includes some history and other useful background stuff. The list is now out of date as I must have bought about 20 books since then (remind self to update list - soon!!)
phpbb
Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Sanskrit » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:16 am

Our library was having a book sale to get rid of the older books. I have bought some books on Greek and Roman culture for one euro each.

Roman Netherlands (Dutch textbook)
The lost Hellas (Dutch textbook)
Ceasar - J.h Thiel (Dutch textbook)
The sources of our civilatation - the classical Greek world. (Dutch textbook)
The daily life in Pompei (Dutch translation of English text)
The Greek fire - Oliver Taplin (Dutch translation of this book)
Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Postby perispomenon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:31 am

Sanskrit wrote:Caesar - J.h Thiel (Dutch textbook)

One of my favourite books!
perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Postby Thoucydides » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:09 am

Episcopus wrote:Can any one recommend a good Latin Verse Composition book which I might be able to find on abebooks?

~E

The only I've ever even heard of is "quod temptabam": looks fairly good, though I haven't used it. There are two on Abe at the moment.
Thoucydides
Textkit Neophyte

Previous

Return to Open Board