Hi, I Just Got Here

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
GoPliny
Textkit Neophyte

Hi, I Just Got Here

Post by GoPliny »

Hi, I'm GoPliny. I am brand new to Latin, and am very excited and nervous about jumping in. I'm also new to forums, so a nudge in the right direction on either point will always be appreciated. I have a certain amount of geography under my belt. It always fascinated me when I would find a tidbit about Pliny the Elder and Younger. Now is my time to find out more. I also love to write, and realize that Latin is a major key in the craft that I am lacking. Well, have a day, I'll see you on the beginning Latin board.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Hi, GoPliny. Welcome to the forum.

What texts are you using to study Latin? Best of luck to you in your studies!

WB

GoPliny
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GoPliny »

Hi William,
I downloaded Latin for Beginner's by Benjamin L. D'Ooge. I also downloaded Before You Know It 3.5\Lite from another site. It's a freebie vocabulary software, with an offer to buy a more extensive version. I saw some vocab tutorials on this site and the forum that coincides with the book, so that should be a full start. Rodeo and Latin make an interesting profile. Are you a study in contrast?

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Welcome, GoPliny. Latin is not my shtick, but if you need a bard for your First Communion, Bar Mitzbah, wedding or funereal needs, just give me a holler. I'm willing to pay up to 50 cents per unplugged ear!

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

GoPliny wrote:Hi William,
I downloaded Latin for Beginner's by Benjamin L. D'Ooge. I also downloaded Before You Know It 3.5\Lite from another site. Rodeo and Latin make an interesting profile. Are you a study in contrast?
Hi GoPliny,

D'Ooge is supposed to be very good as a starting text. I am slogging through the later chapters of Wheelock, but plan to use the Dowling Method to solidify what I have learned when I am done.

WB

GoPliny
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GoPliny »

Hey Bardo, Then isn't a song in your heart cheaper? Gotta go, things to learn and all that.
Have a day.

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Hi, I Just Got Here

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!!! Don't forget to check out the downloadable books on this site, just click on the "Learn Latin" link above.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

GoPliny wrote:I downloaded Latin for Beginner's by Benjamin L. D'Ooge.
That's a good book to begin with, and there are a lot of people who can help you with it, check out the Latin for Beginners forum to peruse past messages, or post a new one of your own.

antianira
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antianira »

I've been using the D'Ooge book since Feb. I'm now about 3/4 of the way through it and have come to really enjoy learning the language, and even some of the history of the Roman times. Learning Latin is a long-term, on-going process but it is rewarding to look back at the earlier chapters and see how far I've come.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Welcome GoPliny :) Hope you get to learn Latin and enjoy making use of it.

GoPliny
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GoPliny »

Thank you all for a warm welcome. I already like this community, which is good for a hermit like me. Talk to you later. GoPliny
P.S. How do I add emoticons?

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Emoticons are to the left of the reply input box (or whatever that is called). And it's not that bad to be a hermit :D

GoPliny
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GoPliny »

:D :?: Did I do it right this time :?: :idea: Just practicing, I was trying to copy and paste earlier. :D Thanks :D

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Good Luck, GP.