Textkit Logo

Hello Everybody

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Hello Everybody

Postby danny » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:23 pm

I'm currently studying for a philosophy degree and have just completed a course on Plato and Aristotle. I found both them and the subject of Ancient Greece fascinating and I have decided that I would someday like to be able to read the Greek philosophers in the original language. I have consequently enrolled on the Open University (UK) course on.......Beginner's Latin! Initially I thought that Latin would be a simpler introduction to learning an inflected language and that I would then learn Greek quicker. However, I now (more sensibly) feel that I would like to learn Latin for it's own sake (being able to read Virgil in the original would be as cool as reading Aristotle in the original). I still intend to go onto Greek, probably through the Open University as well. If anyone out there has any experience of OU Latin or Greek courses and could let me know what to expect I would love to hear from you. Being a typical Brit. the only language I currently know is English. The course starts in January 2006 and any tips as to what I could do to prepare myself would also be gratefully received. I've already bought a book called "Teach Yourself Beginner's Latin" although I haven't really opened it yet. I look forward to hearing from you all.
danny
Textkit Neophyte

Postby PhilipF » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:21 pm

Hello Danny , I too enjoy reading philosophers in Latin and Greek . I have read several works by Plato and found that taking the effort to learn enough Greek to be able to read him in the original has certainly added to my appreciation of his works. I also enjoy reading Cicero's philosophical works in Latin . As to Aristotle I fear I will never be able to read him in Greek as the difficult nature of the subject matter and technical language are an obstacle to me. However I recently got a Greek text of Diogenes Laertius , so I hope that reading this will at least give me an overall introduction to the ancient philosophers . Good luck with your studies I would certainly enjoy any discussion of classical philosophy here at textkit.
Philip
PhilipF
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:02 am

Hi, Aristotle is far easier to read than Plato once you get through a page or 2 and learn the vocab. I'm working on a full set of notes of his work the Categories but I've had to put off completing it because now I'm concentrating on being a Pharr-c guide in my Greek time. You can have a look at my WIP notes though if you want:

http://www.freewebs.com/mhninaeide/Draf ... gories.pdf

It's not going to make much sense to anyone but me though: it's my own notes rather than something designed for others to read at the moment.

At the end of this year I'm going to use these notes to write some beginners notes to Aristotle. If you look at the top of the doc I've replaced Greek substantives for "man" and "Socrates" with pictures to show a standard Aristotelian sentence structure. I've written up 29 more of these because I think they're useful as mnemonics but I need to google image search later this year to find some pictures to use. The last section of the doc shows sentence structure patterns I found reading the book.
chad
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hello Everybody

Postby mariek » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:09 am

Welcome to Textkit!
mariek
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board