Textkit Logo

Liddell & Scott

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Liddell & Scott

Postby Lex » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi all,

I saw a very sad sight today. An old book was being criminally neglected. It was an 1872 edition of Liddell & Scott (in decent shape for being over 100 years old, I suppose), sitting in a used book store, in 80+ degree Fahrenheit temperature and very high humidity. If you want to give this book a cool, dry spot in your home, send me a message, and I could pick it up the next time I am there (if somebody else doesn't beat me to it). I would have bought it myself, but I can't afford it at the moment. It was marked at $75. I would ask for no finder's fee, just the $75 plus S/H and any insurance you might want to pay for. I have a PayPal account, or we could work out something else.

Lex
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kopio » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:41 pm

$75!!!

I think that's about what I paid for the most recent version (I got a killer deal)....I'm not too into collecting books from antiquity (although I do havea Wescott and Hort GNT from 1896 WITH the apparatus insert still), but thanks for the offer.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Postby Lex » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:50 pm

Kopio wrote:I'm not too into collecting books from antiquity

Neither am I, just for the sake of antiquity, and since my free time for studying is slim to none now, I don't have much practical use for it, either. But I don't like seeing old books sitting there deteriorating and warping because the old fart who owns the store is too cheap to pay for air conditioning.

There was also a 9th edition going for $100, but I don't feel so bad about a new book being mistreated.

Lex
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:11 pm

That would be the unabridged, the Great Scott?
That sounds very tempting.
Is it in good enough shape to tolerate fairly regular use?
If it is the Great Scott, shipping to Canada might be a prohibitive amount.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby adz000 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm

The only thing possibly worse than letting good books deteriorate is criminally overpricing them!

Is sentimentality enough to compel anyone to pay $75 for anything but the latest impression of the LSJ? If you wait around you should be able to find an out-of-date edition of the LSJ on ebay or abebooks in the $20-$40 range. Besides updates to the text that were done up through the first quarter of the twentieth century, the latest impressions of the LSJ are printed with the 1996 revised suppplement and, most importantly, contain little asterisks printed in the margin of the main text to indicate when there is a supplement entry. Without those asterisks to advise you about the existence of a supplement , you would have to check the supplement mechanically for every word you look up.

You could try to haggle with the bookseller; it sounds like he hates it taking up space on his shelf as much as we do.
adz000
Textkit Member

Postby Deses » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:02 pm

The electronic version does not cost a whole lot more. And it is much more useful. The supplement is fully incorporated, I believe.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>
Deses
Textkit Fan

Postby Lex » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:58 am

Bert wrote:That would be the unabridged, the Great Scott?

Hmmm... I'm not sure. It was bulkier by far than the modern intermediate version, but not so big as the modern Great Scott. I don't recall seeing anything about abridgement on the title page, so I assume it is the full edition, but now I'm not sure. Did they have abridgements back in 1872?

Bert wrote:That sounds very tempting.
Is it in good enough shape to tolerate fairly regular use?

Well, I'm no expert, but although the pages were yellowed, and somewhat warped, it wasn't so crumbly that I was afraid to handle it. I'd say as long as you were careful with it, it would last a while yet.

Bert wrote:If it is the Great Scott, shipping to Canada might be a prohibitive amount.

I live in a state bordering Canada, so that might help.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board