Moving tomorrow...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

Moving tomorrow...

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi all!
I'm moving to Italy tomorrow so I don't have much time (argh, still not packed half of my stuff yet :lol: ) and it seems I won't have a pc or internet there at first - but you never know, I might find an internet café. As soon as I can I'll be back though with some pics.
For the next six month I'll be staying there trying to earn some money by uh... painting and drawing ... :?
I hope it workes out somehow :P

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

εὐοδία!
Wish you every good luck available for this spring (sorry I have to use that of this summer myself)! Hope to see you again, rich!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Thanks Mingshey! :D

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Hi Emma,
Good luck and welcome to Italy, I hope you will enjoy your staying here.
If you happen to think that Italians are mad, well probably you're right :wink:
Ciao

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

dem Inversen Law nach, you 1/(are moving to italy tomorrow) meaning that you are not not moving to 1/italy today.What is the inverse of italy? Aha well it looks sort of the same! Have a 1/bollocks stay in Denmark Emma! 1/Do anything I 1/might possibly do!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Episcopus wrote:What is the inverse of italy?
itenemy?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm jealous. I want to move to Italy. Whereabouts will you be?

I might stay in Italy permanently when I go next year...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Uhmmm but which city are you going? Or are you gonna try and visit as much as you can? (I'd go and see the Medici's tombs)

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

Bon voyage!

The closest I ever got to Italy was Corsica. The former art major in me envies you.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Yes... even though you don't have a computer, and can't read this:

Have fun in Italy, Emma... Don't feed the cats... Carbon is green... Look out for vespas...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

One mistake you could lose so much CARBON IS NOT GREEN :evil:

A passe-temps that I suggest would be COW TIPPING. Now, you tip cow. It can't get up. You laugh. Farmer has to stand it up. Perhaps he shoot you Emma? But you can ride away on yo horse you smelly horse rider. It's illegal so I did not tell you this.

Heres a question since we are on the subject of horses: how many calories must a horse eat per day for maintenance. Assuming generously that frumentum has 4Kcalg^-1 that means to eat something like 4000 Kcal they would have to eat 1kg of oats per day :shock: I hurl after 75g. Thank the lord for sweet soluble dextrose polymers!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Episcopus wrote:A passe-temps that I suggest would be COW TIPPING. Now, you tip cow. It can't get up. You laugh. Farmer has to stand it up. Perhaps he shoot you Emma? But you can ride away on yo horse you smelly horse rider. It's illegal so I did not tell you this.
Ahh.....cow tipping, reminds me of childhood.....although I have never tipped cows myself, it was a fairly populat pastime in my hometown. A very large farming community with dairies everywhere. Spraypainting cows can be quite entertaining too......just imagine Bessie coming into the barn with a nifty greek slogan spraypainted on her....ahhh the possibilities!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

See - Kopio knows what we be talking about. He has demonstrated that this is done across the globe.

We could not really tip cows here but we could tip sheep. Now they all had a disease and were burned. There are no longer sheep on the mountains here. The hills are gradients of ash. :( Without sheep there's nothing much to do here anymore.

If six of yall went out, then 4 of yall were really cheap :shock:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I haven't seen a single cow in Italy yet, but if I ever do see one... :wink:

Italian telecom is strange... you can only get online if you have a password and username, but in order to get those you have to register somewhere on their site - which is all in Italian and totally confusing anyway... so no internet yet in the flat ... but soon, only one stupid password away from internet... :P

I'm living in Ponte Nelle Alpi (near Belluno, Veneto region). The train connections here are very good. While it takes me a good two and half hours to get from Speyer to Frankfurt (100 km), it's only one hour to Venice from here, even though the distance is the same. And it's really, really cheap... I love public transport here... not so keen on the roads, lol.
I’ve already been to Venice twice and Padova once... my feet hurt from walking everywhere though.
Italian tv is crap though, I mean it’s absolutely horrible. I thought it would help me learn Italian, but there is nothing on to watch, except this stupid quiz show and south American football. I seem to be able to get MTV Italy though, which is great, because mtv here actually plays music! :shock: :lol:

I also know why Italians eat so much pasta... it's so cheap here and vegetables are too! :) Oh... and I live above a pizza restaurant... :P

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Kopio wrote:
Episcopus wrote:A passe-temps that I suggest would be COW TIPPING. Now, you tip cow. It can't get up. You laugh. Farmer has to stand it up. Perhaps he shoot you Emma? But you can ride away on yo horse you smelly horse rider. It's illegal so I did not tell you this.
Ahh.....cow tipping, reminds me of childhood.....although I have never tipped cows myself, it was a fairly populat pastime in my hometown. A very large farming community with dairies everywhere.
I spent the first 24 years of my life on a dairy farm but I have no idea about this cow-tipping thing.
Would you actually roll a cow on her back in such a way that she can't get up? If that is the case, barring intervention, that would mean death for old Bessie.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

ok, so here are some pics:

I live somewhere in this valley :P :

and this is the view from my bedroom window:

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

[quote="Emma_85"]I haven't seen a single cow in Italy yet, but if I ever do see one... :wink:
I'm living in Ponte Nelle Alpi (near Belluno, Veneto region).

It seems we are neighbous, I live in the suburban area of Treviso, just 60 kms far.
Let me know if you need help for register, I would be glad to help you (let me the URL).

I totally agree on Italian TV, that the reason why I don't have any TV set. You might try to watch some films, it is useful for improving the language as well.

From there you can have some interesting trips, do not miss Verona and Trieste. Treviso is worth to spend a day and it's pretty close.
Enjoying your staying here.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi misopogon, where else is good, particularly italian coastline? i'll be there soon as well for a bit. thanks :)

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

wow emma looks like a nice place to live.

believe it or not it looks very similar to the cascades of Washington state.

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

chad wrote:hi misopogon, where else is good, particularly italian coastline? i'll be there soon as well for a bit. thanks :)
Hi Chad,
It's difficult to answer since I don't how long you are staying in and which are your interests, anyway, I'll try describe the main area : a) North Adriatic coast: the landscape and water are not very beautiful (except for Triest area, in the East corner), it's very turistic with a lot of summer life (disco, etc), but your are pretty close with some interesting places like Venice, Verona, Bologna, Ravenna etc. b) Sardinia: the coastline is marvellous, the sea is very nice, some archeological places but I do not think it's worth to spent your time there, if you come to Italy for the first time c) Sicily: as for Sardinia but with much more archeological, artistic places, the food is supreme. You could decide to spend time there if you are interested in the Magna Graecia. d) Do not miss the Amalfi's coastline in the Neaples region. Pompeii is close and Neaples is a very nice city (maybe chaotic), after all was the capital city of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies for centuries. e) Tuscan coastline better than the North Adriatic one, but I do not like it very much, but you are so close to places like Florence, Siena etc. f) Italian Riviera: very nice but I would spend my trip in Italy there. g) Middle Adriatic: nice sea, nice landscapes, close to many interisting cities in the middle Italy.
Let me know more details and I'll try to be more precise. Why are you so interested in coastline? Diving? Fishing ?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi misopogon, thanks for that, we just want to see rome the countryside and the little places on the coast, just to walk around for a few weeks, no diving :) :)