Three Virtues Of A Programmer

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Three Virtues Of A Programmer

Post by mingshey »

If I had ever posted with the same theme before, this is a bit revised one.
A person with a geekiness would like to post this motto on the door, or the wall above his/her computer. The Three Virtues of a programmer(I tend to type this word "programmar", after much thinking on grammar) are generally known as laziness impatience and hubris.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LazinessImpatienceHubris

My attempt is to find the words that best fit the descriptions for each of the virtues on above link:
ἀπονία
ὀξυθυμία
ὑπεροψία

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Mingshey, do you program? If so which languages? Mine include XHTML/CSS, some XML work, Javascript, PHP, Perl, C/C++ & Win32 + OpenGL (very limited still).

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Three Virtues Of A Programmer

Post by Adelheid »

mingshey wrote:hubris
Leave that one the way it is, I would say. It is Greek already.

Regards,
Adelheid

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

cweb255 wrote:Mingshey, do you program? If so which languages? Mine include XHTML/CSS, some XML work, Javascript, PHP, Perl, C/C++ & Win32 + OpenGL (very limited still).
Mostly C on the work. And I have forgot almost anything I have superficially been knowing about C++. :cry:
Adelheid wrote:
mingshey wrote:hubris
Leave that one the way it is, I would say. It is Greek already.
I used to. But it seems the original meaning was quite different from what it's English apparition means, or at least from the description that follows in the link. So I thought I'd better find a word that fits the meaning. :? :roll:
But if you can say its Greek origin means what it is meant to mean, I'd have to reconsider reviving it. :)

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

mingshey wrote:But it seems the original meaning was quite different from what it's English apparition means, or at least from the description that follows in the link. So I thought I'd better find a word that fits the meaning. But if you can say its Greek origin means what it is meant to mean
Hi Mingshey,

The link says that hubris means "excessive pride, the sort of thing Zeus zaps you for".

That's very much the original meaning of the word too (well, except for the zapping ;-)). If I am correct, Herodotus uses the word in this meaning too. Correct me if I am wrong, everyone.

Regards,
Adelheid

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Then I got the wrong impression of the word from the LSJ and Middle Liddell on Perseus, which say its something "wanton violence", "lust", "outrage", etc.
Thanks for the reference. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Can we make it "Four Virtues" and add "clarity"? Perl in particular could use some help in this regard. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

annis wrote:Can we make it "Four Virtues" and add "clarity"? Perl in particular could use some help in this regard. :)
Well, though I reckon in the detailed description hubris contains the element of resulting in clarity, you could anyway summon the right Greek word for it. :D