who's from where and who likes what

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

who's from where and who likes what

Post by Sappho »

I was wondering where all you guys come from and what things you like (hobbies, food, etc.). Have some of you interest in star trek or anime (it has to do with a resaerch for my own interest :P )?

I live in Zaventem, near Brussels in Belgium.

My interests are mainly: languages: Latin and Greek of course, but also Gaelge, Italian, Russian, ...
art: I like to draw and paint myself, and I like all kinds of art, from Greek and Roman art to Japanese manga
animals: I wish I had a whole stable of cavies (guinee pigs) and a horse, but now I have only one cavy and no horse :P , but I'm workiung on it... A dream is to have a whole farm with a lot of different kins of animals, yet that just stays a dream
music: I listen to all kinds of music, but I have recently fallen in love with baroque music, which has something to do with the fact that I also play the recorder and al lot of music written for that instrument is baroque music. But pop music (oldies, recent music, R&B, ...) and metal (gothic metal) I like too.
dancing: me and my girlfriend are in a dancegroup, we dance on R&B music, it's quite fun :D
my girlfriend: the reason why I put her last is not because she's a hobby but my "goal" in life, I hope to marry her. If she's not there, I cannot do any of these things mentioned above. So actually she comes on the first place. I love her so much.

Well, these were the most imortant things that I like to do. There's a lot more, but I think this is enough for now :wink: :P

RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RachelK »

I'm from Ca in the US, the eldest of eight. Hobbies of mine include: archery, pencil drawing, reading, writing, teaching (ancient history to homeschoolers and sunday school), and, obviously, languages which are probably the greatest passion of my life. Sorry, I'm not a Star track fan, but a Lord of the Rings fanatic, coffee junkee, and celtic music enthusiast.
Thats so sweet about your girlfriend, I hope you guys get married!

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

I am Dutch, with a Belgian father (oh, sorry dad, a Flemish father that is).

I DO like Star Trek (original series and the next generation), but like Monty Python and Xena, Warrior Princess (mostly the comic episodes) even more.

And Blackadder. I also like Italy, the Italian language, the country, the history.

And Eisenstein's movie "Ivan the Terrible". But that's probably a big fat obsession of mine :D

When it comes to music: Peppe Barra and Nikos Papazoglou.

And ofcourse I'm interested in the classical laguages, having neglected them for far too long...

Regards,
Adelheid

Scyld Scefing
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Scyld Scefing »

Hi, I am living in Florianópolis Brazil for two years now.

Well, I used to watch star trek a lot when I was younger, but it's not one of my main obsessions anymore. :)

My greatest interests are:

Languages(Greek, Latin, Old english, middle welsh, gothic, etc...), indo-european linguistics, etc.

Literature and Poetry: ancient, medieval, renaissance(shakespeare) and romantic(keats, shelley, coleridge, etc), I like some of modern poetry too but not everything, and my favorite modern literature without any doubt is fantasy:Tolkien, Dunsany, Poe, Michael Moorcock, Lovecraft, etc...

I am a metal fan since early teenagehood, my favourite bands are Dream Theater, Blind Guardian(Nightfall in Middle Earth!!!!) :D , Nevermore,Rhapsody and Rush...Well everything ultra-progressive and/or Medieval
I like classical music too, and R&B(I saw b.b. king live once!) , and weird things like Zappa and atonalism.

I like painting and architecture a lot! Ancient art(Greco-Roman, celtic, etc..) and bizarre modern things like H.R. Giger ( I'd like to build a house in his style!) :D

I have an insane dog (Luna) and a more civilized Cat(Ozymandias).I like to swim, drink wine and visit nice places. I think that's it.

I wrote a lot! :shock:

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I live in Adelaide, in Australia. I love (and play) music - mainly jazz, and I play alto sax & clarinet in a big band. But I like lots of music from early jazz through to hip hop, as long as it's played well.
My other great interests are Latin & now classical Greek- I am afraid I have turned into a raving book-aholic, buying every classics book I can get my hands on.
Love any ridiculous adventure movies - and I have especially enjoyed the Lord of the Rings, Troy & Alexander (even the bad acting!).
I also enjoy doing some "star gazing" through our telescope and belong to the local astronomical society, although I don't get a lot of time for this hobby.
I also have a collection of rather odd looking succulent plants and look after the library for the local cactus & succulent club - knowing Latin is a good skill for this job, although I wouldn't call myself much of a gardener! I think I kill more plants than I grow!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I am neither Dutch, nor Flemish nor Belgian. I'm an American, i.e., a pan-European project. Unless any more family secrets become unsecret I believe my ancestors include the Irish, the Swedes, the Portuguese, the Germans and, as my name indicates, the English.

I love languages very, very much. So much, in fact, that I have created many of my very own.

I like animals, but am generally allergic (especially to cats). Instead I raise bonsai, though winter in Wisconsin is very hard on a bonsai grower. There's not much to do. When it's nice I garden, and support the fine Dutch bulb industry so much I should get an award. Some crocuses I forced have been blooming the last week, a small presentiment of spring.

I do not listen to metal. Well, I didn't until two weeks ago when a friend made me a delectus of the band Nightwish. I exercise to it, and it leaves me with the urge to take over small nations. Normally I listen to various obnoxious electronica genres, and Middle-eastern pop music (yaaaaa Habiibiiiii, ya qallllbiii!).

I have no TV, so I watch no Star Trek. However, I spend a lot of time thinking about Star Trek, or rather, Star Trek fans (the last optimists?). Mostly I read SF. And history. And linguistics. Right now my bedside reading is The Cults of the Roman Empire, by Robert Turcan (I had no idea Isis was so popular!).

I am a computer geek (I spelled that 'greek' first - I am obsessed) by trade. Sometimes I write programs, but mostly I'm the Unix plumber.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I'm an English, Scottish, Irish (and probably Welsh) mongrel. I live in Jakarta, where I work as an editor/translator -- mostly I tidy up what Indonesians write in English so that it's grammatical and makes sense.

I love Star Trek, especially The Original Series and Voyager. I haven't seen much of the other series so I can't really comment on them. I used to read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, but now I'm more into detective stories. But basically I will read almost anything.

I live in a small flat, so I don't have any pets, though I am an unwilling host to lots of ants from time to time.

Languages: the remnants of Greek, Latin and French from school, and Indonesian.

The block of flats where I live has a pool, so I go swimming once or twice a week in a vain attempt to get my weight down. (The alternative -- to eat less -- is too horrible to contemplate. :? )

I'm C of E (Church of England) but my boyfriend is Muslim, so that makes life interesting. We've been together for 10 years now, so it looks like he's the one. :idea:

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I'm a Korean. I live in a satellite city of Seoul. I work in a hand-held phone company. I do the software dirty jobs, say debugging, porting, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Star Trek, but I know what Borg is like, etc. I love SF, but the charaters in ST are too unlikely, even for the future. and all the alens are all humans plus a makeup even poorer than I would expect on Holloweens. I prefer the style of A. Bester and P.K.****.

Like other members who ends up finding out a site like textkit, I'm a language fan. Though it is very hard to find a leisure to learn languages, I'm greaatly interested in laguages of ancient cultures, like sumerian, Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Old English and Old Norse, etc. But strangely enough I'm not very interested in Egyptian, maybe the mummy movies left in me an impression of spookiness and superstitiousness about the nature of Egyptian culture. Anyway Egytian can wait until I get a good grasp of Greek, first. My current big plan is to learn enough Greek and Latin to initiate my daughter before she enters her first school.

Some of the modern languages are in the scope of my interest: Japanese, French, Chinese, Modern Greek, and German. I had been initiated in German but I forgot many aspects of it.

I love dogs and cats but my wife hates them. So, we keep no animal in my home.

I love music, with no specific preference. Well, I do not invest my money as I do for books and languages.

I love movies, especially SF and anime.

I have no religion, though I used to be a Christian, a fundamentalistic Protestant sectarian. Now I'm skeptic. At most I'm pantheistic, in a quite 'dry' context. I got interested in Greek while I was a Christian. I lost the faith but the interest in Greek has survived.
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

Let's see. Of course I love languages, and have dabbled in a lot of them. I'm strongest in Romance Languages (any knowledge I have of Latin comes from historical background of these languages, my own reading and music.) I'm here at this group to make a serious effort to learn Ancient Greek. I may get around to more Latin too.

(Aside to Mr. Annis...did you know that your name means "now" in Scottish Gaelic?)

I currently read history most often...from any part of the world.

I like all kinds of music, and sing with a local choir based at Capital University.
I have two cats (thus my tag line), but I also like dogs.

At some point I would like to get back into drawing and painting. Long ago in a galaxy far far away I was an Art Major.

Although I am way too old, I like comic books, video and PC games and the Simpsons.

I'm also of Northern European ancestry, and couldn't get a tan to save my life, but I love the Sun, being outside, and warmer climates. :)

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

a Lord of the Rings fanatic, coffee junkee, and celtic music enthusiast.
This is something I forgot to mention earlier: I'm very fond of fantasy, thus also of Lord of the Rings. My current fantasy "obsession" are the books of Robin Hobb --> droooooooool
To Celtic and folk music I love to listen, sometimes I play it on my recorder. By the way, do you guys know "Urban Trad"? It's a Belgian folk group who became second in the European songfestival two years ago. I had seen them life before the festival and I liked them already.
I hate coffee though, just can't pour it in, I love the smell but the taste is very disapointing.
Thats so sweet about your girlfriend, I hope you guys get married!
Thanks! I'm so happy that lesbian couples are allowed to marry in Belgium.
I DO like Star Trek (original series and the next generation), but like Monty Python and Xena, Warrior Princess (mostly the comic episodes) even more.
Waaaa I forgot to mention Xena too, she's great, go girl! :P :D
I am afraid I have turned into a raving book-aholic, buying every classics book I can get my hands on.
I know the "desease". Since I study classical languages at the university I want to buy every book about it. Painful for my moneypocket :P

Well, it's so obvious that language lovers also like fantasy, sf and books :D

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

hmmmmm. well......

I am married, (to a wonderful woman) on the 20th it will be 12 years, 33, and buying my first home. I live in Vancouver, Washington (about 40 miles from Mt. St. Helens) which is right across the river from Portland, Or. I like Star Trek (but not passionately), I have a dog, which I spoil completely (she even sleeps on tithe bed) and I don't really care for cats.

I love........Music, almost every kind except for country. Right now I am on a funk kick which includes...Parliament, Jamiroquai, and Stevie Wonder, with a little of Tower of Power thrown in. I also love Greek. Hebrew I am on again off again with. My first second language (did I say that right?) was German, which I would greatly like to study again and become fluent in (I used to be fairly conversational after 2 years, but now I can only order beer and ask where the bathroom is!) I also love the bass guitar (played for about 1 year) the saxophone (played for 20+ years), and to sing.

I am a recovered meth addict and alcoholic that still goes to AA meetings at least weekly (next month I'll have 9 years clean and sober), my ministry is that I work with other recovering addicts and alcoholics to help them experience the goodness of life and closeness to God that I have experienced. I am thankful for my past. I am a Christian, who dislikes the "Christian" stereotype (I've always disliked stereotypes) and does everything he can to break the mold. I've always been a bit of a rebel.

I am a HUGE Sci-Fi fan...I love PKDick, but my favorite will always be Roger Zelazny (if you haven't read him, you really owe it to yourself), others I like are Niven, Aasimov, Silverberg, and Tolkien (the classics). I am a white bread honky that lives in a predominately white area, although I have friends of all colors, religions, political persuasions, etc.

Now that I've talked so much about myself I think I need to go repent for being arrogant (just kidding) :lol:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Why is the gender of every one inversing! First Eureka now this! I always thought bingley to be male! What's on your mind! What's on your miiind! When a world that is so beautiful don't hide! Just open your eyes! To inverse gendrical functions!

Ooo lesbians! For some reason your name Sappho reminds me of a website that I have not ever in my life frequented. Forgive my rudeness, but are you lesbians who look like male bikers or even mothertruckers or indeed lovely soft lesbians. I like ones in pyjamas. No wait my cotangent aka Episcopa will tomorrow be wearing red pyjamas as she be sponsored. YES. Dat is what I like. hopefully there will be a bear in my face.

Because I am not a MEMBER.

yo yo yo, I'm just another bishop coming to a diocese near you. I like Keisha White. My interests include Keisha White, Keisha White and Keisha White. I also enjoy Keisha Whiting. And I don't care who knows. In the respect of music I like Keisha White's new album "Seventeen", and track 15 is special to me. I hope to get married to her. I am so glad that belgium allows marriages to blacks! I wish to carress her glimmering mirky olive skin i sovrumets mörkret. Representing uk r&b yo yo blud what up blud yo bruv westwood yo get robbed yo like yeah blud bruv me mans dem is retarded yo.

aww Kopio...yo PROPS^2 2 u + ur laydee. do you know what you should do concerning the alcohol. Become a bodybuilder then you will grow to HATE the dehydrating and catabolic properties of alcohol. No the 7 kcal/g are EMPTY that is no excuse!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Episcopus wrote:Why is the gender of every one inversing! First Eureka now this! I always thought bingley to be male!
He is.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I think we need the 'Textkit Convention' or at least the 'Secret Order of Textkiters' so that when we travel we can meet each other.

Um, if anyone is coming to Cleveland, Ohio - I am at your service.
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: who's from where and who likes what

Post by mariek »

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I enjoy Star Trek and Anime. Have memories of watching ST:TOS when I was 4. Currently watching Rurouni Kenshin, which they show on TV weekly. They seem to go through most of the episodes, then stop, then start over from Episode 1. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to buy the box set to see the last episodes.

I love studying languages, but have to admit I haven't had much time lately. With a baby on the way (due March 14!) I find most of my time in consumed with pregnancy, birthing, baby care, etc type topics.

I love to read. Unfortunately I seem to have more books than time. :(

I listen to all kinds of music, in various languages. Currently listening to Francis Cabrel's latest album, and recently discovered Amel Bent and Kyo. I spend part of my time ripping our audio CDs to MP3, and filling up hubby's iPod... mostly to show him that he was wrong in his original idea of a 4 GB iPod being adequate. ;) So far our 20 GB iPod is more than half filled.

I babysit about a dozen orchids in my house. They are wonderful plants, low maintenance, and surprise you with blooms when you least expect it.

I'm a dog person, although I don't currently have one. No space to keep one happy. We will definitely have one after we find our dream house with an adequate sized yard. We're not likely to have any cats since hubby is allergic to them.

Have recently picked up knitting. I've found it to be very relaxing.

sigma957
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sigma957 »

I live in Portland Oregon. I am in a wonderful gay relationship. No dogs yet, but we hope to get a poodle in the next year.

I love history, sci-fi, computers, Lord of the Rings, Babylon 5, Xena, and recently became a fan of "The L Word".

I'm trying to study Latin and I'm working on a website (vacation-in-oregon.com) which I'm hoping will make me some money eventually.

I'm a Christian, I belong to MCC Portland and am their current webmaster.

I have a lot of other interests, I love learning in general.

Barbara

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Hello, I am Chris Weimer, but some may know me as cweb255 and some may know me as Quintus Valerius Scerio, but we are one and the same. I own and operate NeoNostalgia.com and some here among you probably knew my old forum, and even now some among you have joined my new forum http://neonostalgia.com/forum which is about Ancient Mediterranean Cultures.

My main interests lie in ancient and classic civilization stretching from the Mayans to the Ainu and everything in between. I live in Memphis, so if anyone else does I'd love to get together and discuss linguistics or philosophy or evil conpiracies to try and take over the WORLD!

I'm largely self taught, having slept or learned Koine during Latin class (slept 90%, study another subject 15% - osmosis, you know).

Well, omnes sunt.

Valete

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Hello,

I live in Madison, WI, USA.

My parents emigrated from Hungary, so I know a smattering of Hungarian, I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, but forgot most of it when I didn't take any in college, I studied quite a bit of Vaior (William Annis' conlang), and finally moved onto Homeric Greek. I've secretly had a desire to read the epics in the original tounge and finally embarked upon it. It turns out that while I was desperately trying to trill my r's for greek, I discovered I have anklyoglossia (tounge-tie) and *can't* trill my r's. I was surprised as hell to find that out and it explained my ever present speech impediments in non-english languages (ESPECIALLY Hungarian). I'm going to get it fixed when I save up enough money for the procedure. Then I swear I'm going to learn 5 languages to celebrate. :)

I had two majors in college: Fine Art and Computer Science. I got the latter but ran out of money before I could get the former. I only had maybe one year left on the art degree. Consequently, if pressed I can produce some fairly good artwork, generally in pencil, pen & ink, or pressed charcoal. I tend to prefer mannerist styles both in production and appreciation of art. I still draw occasionally and have been thinking about starting a web comic (who hasn't). I program an *unhealthy* amount on projects at home (mostly AI, computer graphics, compiler theory, mathematics), and while at work I port our product to 30+ different flavors of unix. And when I mean port, I mean figure out super lowlevel crap about an OS revision like register calling conventions, signal handling trampoline code, and memory segment layouts and the port our software to be aware of those things.

I extensively listen to, and can play very proficiently on the guitar, black and death metal music. Though I do appreciate Industrial and Blues and have a secret and deep fondness for Baroque style music, especially hapsichord--and Dominico Scarlatti. Lately I've been getting into playing Spanish Classical guitar, but I had some RSI in my left wrist due to botching a repetitive excersize and had to stop for 6 months to let it heal.

I am engaged to a wonderful human being and we will be getting married when we can afford it, or until such time as we say to hell with the usual traditions and simply get married. She really gives me a reason to live. The drudgery of my existence echos into the chasm of reality. Seriously. Oh, I guess my religion would be a strange brew of existentialism and self-introspection. As a pseudo-joke, I often call my AI work a self-portrait. :)

I have a pretty extensive academic library (related to each field in which I find myself immersed) and a small SF, fantasy, and horror collection (along with a shockingly complete 1st edition AD&D collection and modules). I don't read nearly as much as I should, mostly cause I spend my time programming, playing AD&D, LARPing, practicing music, greek, or art.

I often pick up random hobbies and learn them to disturbing proficiency and then let them lie fallow while I do it again with something else. I'm not sure why I do this, but it appears beneficial and makes me happy so I let myself continue to do it.
Last edited by psilord on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

jeff wrote:I think we need the 'Textkit Convention' or at least the 'Secret Order of Textkiters' so that when we travel we can meet each other.
How about "Knights of The Texkit Order"? Sounds more, uh, sekrit society-like.

We could get a generic business card in the mail or something that we can flash to others....ooo! maybe a secret handshake too! Or a secret saying such as person A asks (in attic greek) "What is the color of the deep blue sky?" and person B answers (in latin) "The color you seek is panda."

It'd be great!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

psilord wrote:
jeff wrote:I think we need the 'Textkit Convention' or at least the 'Secret Order of Textkiters' so that when we travel we can meet each other.
How about "Knights of The Texkit Order"? Sounds more, uh, sekrit society-like.

We could get a generic business card in the mail or something that we can flash to others....ooo! maybe a secret handshake too! Or a secret saying such as person A asks (in attic greek) "What is the color of the deep blue sky?" and person B answers (in latin) "The color you seek is panda."

It'd be great!
Oh, Greenish Crucians and Free PDF-masons could take form sooner or later, establish lodges and coin up secret initiation rites. And somebody's going to publish "Copyright Morals and Avatar Dogma".

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

I think we need the 'Textkit Convention' or at least the 'Secret Order of Textkiters' so that when we travel we can meet each other.
In Dutch: "de bende van Textkit" :D
Forgive my rudeness, but are you lesbians who look like male bikers or even mothertruckers or indeed lovely soft lesbians
No, my girlfriend and I are no motorbikers, we're sweet lesbians. I'd like to post a picture of us but I don't have one on my pc yet. Be patient...

Ianamunra
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ianamunra »

I have a question. What the heck is the deel with everybody likin startrek. I mean GOD! that program is basically dead. But anyway im from PA love Latin for some odd reason and just thought it would be fun to learn a different language.

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

Hi, I'm Timotheus.

I live in Yelm Washington USA. (Between Olympia and Tacoma, and east of Fort Lewis)

I selected my screen name off my real. Timothy Taylor. and no for those that watch sindicated US T.V. I'm not the tool man. Even though I do have three kids (2 boys 1Girl), Had a would be "rod"(major project '56 Belair), and a back fence neighbor (not wilson).

As for star trek, the old series was ok, and if it's on I'll watch it. (better than these stupid so called real life shows or Spriger, or the news, or fix your house, build a bike, make a robot that..... I'm basically tired of T.V..
Oh and I work for the Cable Television company.

I was lucky to have a teacher in first grade that taught phonetic reading from charts she had from the thirties. by the end of that school year I was reading third grade material and continued to advance quit rapidly. Then in the summer between fourth and fifth grade I found in my mothers llibrary her high school copy of Homer's Odyssey. That did it! from that time on I have had a love for Greek mythos.

from there i read all the Arabian Knight stories, Sinbad, Tarzan,stories I could get my hands on.

growing up I lived in the south west corner of Colorado. At one time a people lived there and built cities in the cliffs of mountains and built roads and cities (around first century). I stomped all over these as a kid. this was before Mesa Verde National Park fenced and closed most to the public. But there are cities I know of that are not on any map. This started a love for archeology. from arrow heads to pottery. ( a neighbor, while disccing a field turned up a conquistidor's breast plate. one of many local unreported finds)

Around eleven years old we came to Seattle Washington and was here a year (Father worked for the Natural Gas Pipeline that runs from Canada to Mexico). durring that Time King Tut was on Exhibit. well you can imagine what that did fo an impressionable youth.

As a young adult I was impressed with those who could read the New Testament In it's original language. So I talked one of these fellows to teach me. I don't think we even worked a full year on it (J. Gresham Machin's N.T. Greek for Beginers). But I was married and had three little Babies and had to Go to school and worka full time job.

for fun I learned to play a few tunes on Highland bagpipes (Olympia Highlanders). Went through a western phase (Luise La'mour and Zane Grey). In High School I fell in love with history and WWII's Romel became my favorite General, Paton a close second.

2001 space odessey I like like, star wars ok, Star trek only the original series but Lost in Space is more entertaining and so is Land of the Giants. For some reason I would like to see the Cayote catch the Road runner.

In music I'm Ecclectic. except Rap, yuck!!! and only a limited amount of time with Grung, and today's metal (my eldest kid wears it out).
of late bluegrass, western ballads (not country), traditional country, Ballads, Celtic, folk. none of its important enough to know who sings it, or even the name of the tune, just as long as its good and not overplayed.

Well how's that for a mini Auto-Bio?

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

OK i JUST LOOKED OVER MY POST

i WENT TO ST. PUBLIC

hopfully spelling will be a side benifit to learning and traslation. :)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

mingshey wrote:And somebody's going to publish "Copyright Morals and Avatar Dogma".
I think we can count Episcopus out for that duty!

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Why do we need secret handshakes and words? True geeks can always spot one another! We are the ones dressed in odd socks wandering along clutching a bag full of books, totally ignoring everything except our own little geek world. :lol:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Carola wrote:Why do we need secret handshakes and words? True geeks can always spot one another! We are the ones dressed in odd socks
yep, that's me (edit: That is not quite right. It would be me if I didn't have a wife and daughters)
Carola wrote:wandering along clutching a bag full of books, totally ignoring everything except our own little geek world. :lol:
On a holiday, sitting at the beach, going through a Greek grammar.
Last edited by Bert on Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

I am from Perry, Michigan (I-69 halfway between Lansing and Flint).

3 kids (2 boys and a girl) all in Junior High or High School. I am the Pastor of a small Pentecostal church. I love my job and my wife and my kids.

I picked up a liking for the classics of literature and music from my mother. She tried to introduce me to latin back then, but I was too busy reading everything I could get my hands on. Father introduced me to football (American) and I have loved every form of it to this day (Rugby, Australian, etc.) anything with an oval ball and hard knocks on the head. :shock: Became one of those shy scholar athletes in High School. More scholar than athlete. :D

4 years in college in North Dakota and 2 years in Grad School in Kentucky(M.A. in Theology)

Love Star Trek only if we are talking about the original cast. Love Lord of the Rings but like the books better. Musically - better be Classic Rock from 1975 to 1995 with a metal edge or classical (preferably Mozart) or you have lost me.

History is my thing though -- Especially Ancient Roman and Greek History which is why I am here to learn original languages so I can read the ancient historians for myself. There is always something lost in translation. The purpose of this is to get ready for the PH.D. in Roman and Greek History I want to get later. Need both Greek and Latin for it.

My screen name comes from the legendary Roman Senator Marcus Regulus. Who is rumored to have kept his word even though it meant his own death. Some other places my Screen Name is Sir Edward from my first name and in honor of another forum I belonged to long ago. One of those secret society things. :D Not really.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Bert wrote:On a holiday, sitting at the beach, going through a Greek grammar.
Uh-oh, I was indeed planning to do just that :lol:

Adelheid

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

I live in the Catskill Mountains of New York State in a cabin half a mile into the woods on top of a hill. I do stone art during the warm weather, and housesit throughout the year to supplement my income (and to enjoy some of the luxuries missing from my cabin).

I took degrees in Psychology and Philosophy, but was always very interested in my English classes. It wasn't until after college that I started working on foreign languages; I spend most of my time with Greek, but I'm also working at (reading) French at the moment. There is a long list of languages that I'd like to learn, Latin and German probably being the most realistic. I had planned to return quickly for graduate study, but I'm still not sure if that's what I want to do---now I've got my eye out for a Greek studies program.

I don't have television, but Seinfeld can always make me laugh, and I've seen a couple episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I thought rather funny too. But for the most part, I can't tell the difference between TV shows and commercials---and TV news makes me angry. I'd much rather watch movies---Hitchcock, Kurasowa, Kubrick, Cohen bros., just off the top of my head.

I enjoy all types of music, but I can be rather picky about individual artists. I've been discovering classical music these past few years; lately I've been listening to Mozart's Requiem Mass over and over and over and over and over. I'm also excited about discovering the African guitarist Ali Farka Toure.

I love to write, although most of the time that I once dedicated to writing is now spent on Greek or French. I read everything. I like epic poems and other epic-like things (Don Quixote?). I used to read a lot of Shakespeare and Emily Dickinson. The first few times I tried to read James Joyce I hated him and thought it was some kind of conspiracy, but he's since grown on me. I also like essayists like Montaigne and Nietzsche. I suppose I could ramble on and on. I've heard that Harry Potter is quite fun, so I just ordered a copy in French (we'll see how that goes--?)

Other interests: food, wine, photography, traveling, freetime, astronomy, and just about anything interesting.

--Nicholas

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kerastes »

Hey, that's what I do! I've done that at a bar and a laundromat too.

This thread has gotten so long I can't remember if I ever posted on it. Which, I suppose, means I have some residual geekness. But I'm really trying to get away from the geek image.

So, for purposes of our secret society, I'm in east central Illinois, USA, twenty minutes drive from the classics library at the University of Illinois. I'm also a classically trained musician, though more of a musicologist and music theory educator than a performer. When I was in school, my speciality was Renaissance music, so I really did use Latin in research.

Yes, I like Star Trek, the original series best, but Next Gen isn't bad, and since Capt. Picard reads Latin and Greek, he make the best model for what every starship captain should be.

I've also gotten hooked on Harry Potter, especially the books, and of those especially the audio books read by Jim Dale. I know some of the magical Latin is butchered, but they're really fun books. Like Albus Dumbledore, I don't need a cloak to become invisible — a big library can easily make me disappear for awhile. My hair isn't nearly that long or silver, but I do wear my long dark hair with pride.

I also like the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, and though I wouldn't consider myself a sci-fi fan, I sometimes show up at sci-fi conventions in Chicago (Windycon, Duckon) or Madison (Wiscon).

I have two main vices. I watch Jay Leno's monologues on The Tonite Show, and I can occasionally be found singing at a karaoke bar.

Kerastes Polythymos

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

I've heard that Harry Potter is quite fun, so I just ordered a copy in French
I've got a copy of the first book in Latin, which exists also in an ancient Greek translation. The fourth book I have in Italian.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Sappho wrote:
Forgive my rudeness, but are you lesbians who look like male bikers or even mothertruckers or indeed lovely soft lesbians
No, my girlfriend and I are no motorbikers, we're sweet lesbians. I'd like to post a picture of us but I don't have one on my pc yet. Be patient...
:shock: How old are you? What if I put lipstick on and wear a bra (my pectorals are larger than most girls' chests so that will be realistic) ?

Here they are all fat manly ones :(

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Sappho wrote:
I've heard that Harry Potter is quite fun, so I just ordered a copy in French
I've got a copy of the first book in Latin, which exists also in an ancient Greek translation. The fourth book I have in Italian.

I've got the first 4 Harry Potter books in French. Would love to read the first book in Latin. Are they going to translate the subsequent books in Latin and/or Greek? My MIL has is reading the HP books in Chinese.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Adelheid wrote:
Uh-oh, I was indeed planning to do just that :lol:

Adelheid
Yep, I am about to go to the 4 day Adelaide V8 car races (held almost right in the middle of Adelaide (don't believe me? see http://www.clipsal500.com.au/ ) and Sallust will be coming with me! I actually get a lot of studying done because there is a lot of messing about between events - picking up broken cars etc. It's actually very relaxing just sitting around for 4 days with no responsibilites.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Carola wrote:Yep, I am about to go to the 4 day Adelaide V8 car races (held almost right in the middle of Adelaide (don't believe me? see http://www.clipsal500.com.au/ ) and Sallust will be coming with me! I actually get a lot of studying done because there is a lot of messing about between events - picking up broken cars etc. It's actually very relaxing just sitting around for 4 days with no responsibilites.
:shock: And you were criticising people for watching gameshows!

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Eureka wrote: :shock: And you were criticising people for watching gameshows!
Ah yes - but it's much better watching low life when you are really there and really doing it - not sitting in front of a TV watching like a zombie. And how am I going to write my best-selling novel if I don't get out and witness Life (note capital L) in all its multi-faceted ways......blah blah!

And I reserve the right to be as hypocritical as most of our beloved world leaders.

I really go because it is husband's annual birthday treat - but I must admit it is wonderful watching the people watching the races - and a once a year junk food binge. :lol:

Johny Ze
Textkit Neophyte

Bio

Post by Johny Ze »

Hey everyone! I'm from the Greater Vancouver Region in BC, Canada. I've studied Classical Greek for probably around 1 year, after first becoming interested in it.
Aside from trying to pour over my Greek books when I have time, I am also an aspiring musician, playing guitar and keys in a band. We're going across Canada (Vancouver-Montreal and back) pretty soon, in about May of this year.
I love books, my favorite author being probably Charles Williams, or C.S. Lewis. I think from these authors is where a great deal of my desire to know classics comes from.
I also really love music, a bunch of different types. Some of my fav. bands are Mae, Finger Eleven, Anberlin, Mars Volta, Lifehouse Death Cab for Cutie, Copeland, etc. etc.
Anyway, I think this website's great, and I've really enjoyed the knowlede and help I've gained from everyone!! Thanks for making textkit sweet!

Johny Ze

Sappho
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sappho »

How old are you? What if I put lipstick on and wear a bra (my pectorals are larger than most girls' chests so that will be realistic) ?
I'm 19 and my girlfriend 23, and I can tell a man from a woman, even if he's wearing woman's clothes, moreover I don't want a man. :P