Nemo

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Nemo

Post by Keesa »

I found the following quote in the "Learning Latin" forum, and followed it up here-:bows to Jeff:. <br /><br />Quote from: Milito on July 28, 2003, 10:47:00 AM <br />Nemo! Qui dicit ut esse zealot malum sit? <br /><br /><br />I'm having trouble following this whole discussion, but I just wanted to comment on this word "Nemo". I looked it up and it means "no one, nobody". So the recent movie "Finding Nemo" really means "Finding Nobody"!<br /><br />I learned that Nemo means "no one, nobody" yesterday, while reading Blaise Pascal, and I thought it particularly interesting that Jules Verne's character from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea would choose to call himself "Captain Nemo." <br /><br />If you're familiar with the book, you know that Captain Nemo cut himself off from the world of men and retreated to his submarine, becoming, essentially, "Nobody". I thought that was so neat! <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Nemo

Post by Milito »

I believe that the name was chosen on purpose, for just that reason.... and who says that learning Latin can't add interest to current reading!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I agree!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Yes, that's very neat. I learn something new everyday on this forum. ;D

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

My brother actually says Finding Nemo is a really good movie, my question is, what is it about? I mean, with the main character "Nobody"?? ???

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Puella Parva link=board=6;threadid=343;start=0#3268 date=1060475264]<br />My brother actually says Finding Nemo is a really good movie, my question is, what is it about? I mean, with the main character "Nobody"?? ??? [/quote]<br /><br />Well, you'll just have to go watch it! ;) It's good, although I liked Monsters Inc more because of the "cute" factor. Finding Nemo is about a dad (he's a fish, btw) who's looking for his lost son Nemo.<br /><br />http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/fin ... index.html<br /><br />

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

I see, thanks! (I will end up watcing it by the way, my brother already had me promise that. :P)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

There was also a movie entitled "My name is Nobody".<br /><br />The first character that bore the name "Nobody" in Western literature is Ulysses, in Homer's Odyssey. The Cyclop asks for his name : Ulysses answers "Outis", meaning Nobody. When the Cyclop has been blinded, he runs out shouting. The other Cyclops ask them : "Who dit it ?" He answers : "Nobody". Because it is in the middle of the night, the other Cyclops say : "He's gone mad ! Let's return to bed !" An early gag.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I remember that! Well...I didn't read it in Greek, of course, but I remember it from my English copy. <br /><br />Keesa