Textkit Mistake (posted disrespectã D'Ooge)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Textkit Mistake (posted disrespectã D'Ooge)

Post by Episcopus »

In Learn Latin section, Latin For Beginners, "...who's".<br /><br />Sorry for being picky but that = disrespect. <br /><br />Otherwise textkit RULES ;D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Textkit Mistake (posted disrespectã D'Ooge)

Post by Jeff Tirey »

hey there - yep you caught me. I have grammar errors and typos all over the place I'm sure. I'm my own worse editor :-(<br /><br />I removed that part for now. I really need to tweak all the book descriptions.<br /><br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2027 date=1059315868]<br />hey there - yep you caught me. I have grammar errors and typos all over the place I'm sure. I'm my own worse editor :-(<br /><br />I removed that part for now. I really need to tweak all the book descriptions.<br /><br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff<br />[/quote]<br /><br />write "arguably the best classics linguist ever, D'Ooge has taken an initially intimidating language and single handedly metamorphosed the learning process into a thorough yet exciting course. The words of this great professor suffice. Indeed, a living human teacher would be nothing but a hindrance"

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2034 date=1059338567]<br />write "arguably the best classics linguist ever, D'Ooge has taken an initially intimidating language and single handedly metamorphosed the learning process into a thorough yet exciting course. The words of this great professor suffice. Indeed, a living human teacher would be nothing but a hindrance" <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Err. This seems a bit over-wrought.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus treads the line between respect and idolatry.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

He certainly has apotheosized D'Ooge, hasn't he!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2034 date=1059338567]<br /><br />The words of this great professor suffice. Indeed, a living human teacher would be nothing but a hindrance" <br />[/quote]<br /><br />A new take on the concept of a dead language ? :)<br /><br />Ingrid

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2049 date=1059362617]<br />Episcopus treads the line between respect and idolatry.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm not sure.... he may have slipped off the line into the idolatry stance here.... Perhaps he's working toward canonization?<br /><br />Can't you just see him walking down the street wearing a shirt proclaiming in large text "D'Ooge Rules"?<br /><br />Kilmeny

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Or maybe a Nike one with "Just D'Ooge It".

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=vinobrien link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2079 date=1059402066]<br />Or maybe a Nike one with "Just D'Ooge It".<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I like that! I may have to go see if I can get someone to make one up, just to create confusion! Something Latin on the front of the T-shirt ("Textkit Regit"?), and "Just D'Ooge It" on the back.... <br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2038 date=1059344747]<br />Err. This seems a bit over-wrought.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I argue for, you argue against. Hence the 'arguably'. Granted it is debatable. <br /><br />I anticipated mockery. vinobrien here's a serious "truckez-vous" avant qu'on tue vos enfants. <br />I couldn't say it in Latin, I'd just end up saying 'mulce tuos liberos' and that's not nice.<br /><br />mockete episcopum sed is D'Ooge semper amabit.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=vinobrien link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2079 date=1059402066]<br />Or maybe a Nike one with "Just D'Ooge It".<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> ;D ;D ;D I like that! LOL!
Textkit Founder

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Do I sense a Textkit fundraising t-shirt at cafepress.com in our future?<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=vinobrien link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2079 date=1059402066]<br />Or maybe a Nike one with "Just D'Ooge It".[/quote]<br /><br />Don't forget "Got D'Ooge?" (à la Milk commercials...)<br />Or "Where's the D'Ooge?" (à la "Where's the Beef?")<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2092 date=1059403184]<br />Something Latin on the front of the T-shirt ("Textkit Regit"?), and "Just D'Ooge It" on the back.... [/quote]<br /><br />Sounds cool! Now have you thought about what you'd have the logo look like? A Nike swoosh, or something else? <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2112 date=1059410624]<br />Do I sense a Textkit fundraising t-shirt at cafepress.com in our future? [/quote]<br /><br />Hey, that's an interesting idea. I don't know if this site has enough of a following to support this, but perhaps in the future? <br /><br />I think it might be a nice to have a few "Textkit" articles for sale (t-shirts? caps?) which will have "Textkit" and the URL visible. It would be a great way to raise funds for the people who run the site, as I'm sure it requires some time and resources to keep this place going. And by wearing these items out in public, we'd be attracting (proselytizing?) new members!<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=307;start=0#2112 date=1059410624]<br />Do I sense a Textkit fundraising t-shirt at cafepress.com in our future?[/quote]<br /><br />Well, I for my part, have always wanted a stylish Textkit T-Shirt. But I think sales would actually turn out to be quite low :-(
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=307;start=15#2117 date=1059415611]<br />Well, I for my part, have always wanted a stylish Textkit T-Shirt. But I think sales would actually turn out to be quite low :-( [/quote]<br /><br />I don't know much about having t-shirts created. What's the minimum number of t-shirts you'd have to order to make it worthwhile? <br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I like the rhyme "Text Kit Regit!" <br /><br />but I appreciate NOT the disrespect shown to B.L.D I try to refrain from cursing but on behalf of Benjamin L. D'Ooge who would pity you, were he alive. I believe not in gods, nor believe-I in an afterlife, even for this great professor. <br /><br />This is a Latin forum. And anyone who is so brilliant not only at Latin, but also teaching it, should be admired and saluted; respected - most of all in a forum of 'learning' such as this one. <br />Not a truck give-I whether one be an ultimate loser - provided that one be able to communicate latinly.<br />A girl would-I admire and respect, if she were able to speak Latinly irrespective of her inevitable rancidity.<br />I am incredulous at this moment, as to wherefore some people who are brilliant at Latin showing mocking a man whose contributions are still being appreciated by some strange child living in a deprived area in south wales who detests the church of england but laughs at those funny queer bishõps. <br /><br />Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge teaches me. I have been learning Latin properly for only a few weeks, and I am reading extracts from Perseus Andromedaque. Not Pleased am I at my relative lack of knowledge given the calibre of some bishops here, however in 10 months I shall be great. I will. <br /><br />And to that person who said textkit regit on the front, and D'Ooge on the back, you know what I wish that I say. <br /><br />If one were to stop mocking Dr. D'Ooge then a T-shirt would be pleasing - to increase the "clara-ity" of my teacher. <br />If some one could find a photograph of him, maybe some one living in Michigan - that could go on the back. <br /><br />