Textkit Logo

What kind of dog do you like?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

What kind of dog do you like?

Postby Rhuiden » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:14 am

In my continuing attempts to get to know the people here better I decided this was a relevant question. I know that not everyone likes dogs, some actually like cats (although I can't figure out why, just kidding). I don't want this to turn into a dogs vs. cats thread so lets stick to dogs for now, please.

I love dogs. I have had many during my life. My favorites have always been wolf hybrids. I have had two, both were mixed with German Shepards. German Shepards run a very close second in my opinion.

I currently have a two dogs, an Old English Mastiff and a Bishon. Both were given to us by people who could no longer keep them (not at the same time). They make a very odd couple. I did not know what to expect when we got the Mastiff but they are excellent dogs. Mine currently weighs about 120 pounds and still thinks she is a lap dog. Here is a question: when do you play with a 120 pound dog? Answer: Anytime it wants you too.

Anyway, looking forward to reading everyone's responses.

Rhuiden
Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Postby classicalclarinet » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:17 am

I'm a cat person but I like those Yorkshires.. :)
classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Yhevhe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:33 am

I just like dogs that have faces that says it all: 'I like to eat' 'I like to play' 'I like to be hugged' ... you know, the kind of dog that just likes to be treated like a baby.
Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:58 am

I love chocolate Labs, I used to have one and if I could keep it with me all the time I'd have one now. My last dogs were Chihuahuas. I got one when I lived in Carlsbad, NM. That's in the Chihuahua desert. We decided to name it Carl so that when it yapped incessantly we could say Carl's Bad. However, we got a girl and settled for Carly. They were pretty good dogs really. They're entirely different when company is not around.

Rhuiden, so how big is the Mastiff? Is 120 big or small for those? I knew they were large, but not how large.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Postby Rhuiden » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:12 am

Geoff wrote:Rhuiden, so how big is the Mastiff? Is 120 big or small for those? I knew they were large, but not how large.

Male Mastiffs can be around 200 pounds or more. Females usually get to about 150. They usually grow until they are about 3 years old. Mine just turned 2 in September, it appears that she may turn out to be a little smaller that average unless she has a growth spurt soon. I did not know much about them until after we got ours and I decided I better read up on them a bit. By the way, they are meant to be house dogs. They hate being alone. Wherever you are, they will be but they are actually very low maintenance for a dog. The only tough thing to adjust to was the slober....lots and lots of slober.

Rhuiden
Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Postby PeterD » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:16 am

Dogs are amazing. Not only do they make wonderful companions, they are "babe magnets" as well -- the cuter the dog...

That said, I like rotties. My cousin in Florida has one. They are strong, tough, and very intelligent (just like me :wink: ).

~PeterD

p.s. can someone please jump over to the Learning Greek board and help me with my question. :(
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Border Collie

Postby William » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:54 am

I love cats (even more than people, generally), but I like dogs, too. I would have a Border Collie if I had a dog. That would be my vote.

William
William
Textkit Fan

Postby mariek » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:00 am

I love dogs. I used to have a cute german shepherd. My husband & I plan on having a dog after we move into a place with an adequate back yard. His only requirement is that the dog be medium/large, something he can "wrestle" with, and preferably one that doesn't shed too much.
mariek
Global Moderator

Postby klewlis » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:05 pm

I can't stand small dogs. If his knees aren't as tall as mine he's too small. :)

Border collies are probably the smallest I would ever consider.

I used to have a shepherd-husky cross and he was awesome.
klewlis
Global Moderator

Postby Kopio » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:36 pm

I have a lab shepard mix....her name is Maggie....she is the sweetest dog I have ever been lucky enough to have. I spoil her to no end.

She is my avatar right now....but here is a much better picture....she's smiling in this picture!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Postby annis » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:08 pm

Kopio wrote:She is my avatar right now....but here is a much better picture....she's smiling in this picture!

Well, that avatar photo seems very doggy... that great huge nose, you see. :)

While I was growing up we always had at least one cat around (my mother loves them) and I like them fine, but now that I've lived on my own for so long, catless, my allergy to cats has flowered. The thought of a cat in my face will make me sneeze.

The first dog I ever actually liked (very, very smart, well trained, quite a personality) was a Doberman, so I'm quite fond of them. And I like Irish Wolfhounds. If I had a few acres, I'd get one. But I'm on good terms with all the neighborhood dogs.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:11 pm

mariek wrote:
His only requirement is that the dog be medium/large, something he can "wrestle" with, and preferably one that doesn't shed too much.

What about a small dog that THINKS (s)he is a big dog.
A Jack Russel Terrier has the energy of a 5 year old on a chocolat high.
We have one. It may not necessarily be my favorite, but living in town it is more practicle than a bigger dog.
They will wrestle longer than any person.
They are too dumb to be scared and want to take on any dog that is more than twice its size. Anything smaller is not worth the trouble.
Ours does not even bother to bark at cars but gets furious when a truck dares to get close.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby William » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:13 am

Kopio wrote:I have a lab shepard mix....her name is Maggie....she is the sweetest dog I have ever been lucky enough to have. I spoil her to no end.

She is my avatar right now....but here is a much better picture....she's smiling in this picture!

Your doggie is adorable.

William
William
Textkit Fan

Postby chad » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:49 am

We just bought a chihuahua puppy over a month ago. He's 13 weeks now. His name is Caesar :) That name doesn't really stand out as weird though among the other pampered chihuahuas who live near us: there's Paris, Dante, &c, &c :) He's too small for a dog harness, so he wears a kitten harness... he's an all-dominating attention seeker :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby mariek » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 pm

Bert wrote:What about a small dog that THINKS (s)he is a big dog.
A Jack Russel Terrier has the energy of a 5 year old on a chocolat high.

I think the only small dog my husband would go for would probably be a Beagle (something like the Jonathan Archer's dog on the TV show Enterprise). He dosen't want a "yapper", and he doesn't want anything he can drop-kick.
mariek
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board