Getting to know everyone.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Getting to know everyone.

Post by EmptyMan »

I don't know if this has already been posted so forgive me if it sounds redundant. I just wanted to know a little about you all. Where your from, if you go to school, and your occupation,interests,gender,and age.

Just to let you all know a little about me, I am 16 years old, male, and go to a public high-school in America. I am very interested in theology,history,philosophy, and linguistics. I also enjoy birdwatching and nature hikes. I plan on studying linguistics in college. And as of right now I am unemployed.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

I'm from Montana, I go to a local public high school. I'm hoping for a job at a grocery store that's two blocks away from my school. I like the classics, paranormal, darkness, punk rock, lingustics, archaeology, and anthropology. I'm a female and I'm 16.

Welcome to Textkit!!! ^_^'

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Hello all

I'm freshman (as oppsed to freshwoman (:?:)) in high school, in Anchorage AK.
I love languages, and (well) am a clarinetist.

Debussy is my favorite composer. Yesterday I went to a performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem and it was fantastic!!
Speaking of the War Requiem, if you like poetry, you might want to read some Owen poems, which are a part of the Requiem.
http://home.tiscali.be/ericlaermans/cul ... tml#owenpo
In my opinion those are some of the best poems I have seen.

In college, I beleive I will major in music and some other language (most likely Latin or German) and I want to come back to Alaska and teach Latin!! :)

lau_kai
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lau_kai »

hello pplz

i am kai. high school 9th grade AUS. ummm i dont lyk school really much... its the teachers i guess... especially my latin teacher... he is a ****... but anyways thats not the point... well at least i lyk sport... go arsenal!! *** manU!! and i play the piano... 5th grade

yeh.... i think thats all...

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:D
I'm 18 and go to the local state Latin-school in Speyer. Just finishing my German Abitur there, after that I hope to find a job as waitress or such, probably in Cornwall living with my Grandma or maybe in Italy as my dad might move there. And then when I've saved up some money off to Uni to study physics :) .

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

lau_kai wrote:hello pplz

i am kai. high school 9th grade AUS. ummm i dont lyk school really much... its the teachers i guess... especially my latin teacher... he is a ****... but anyways thats not the point... well at least i lyk sport... go arsenal!! *** manU!! and i play the piano... 5th grade

I edited your post. This is an education forum and that is not classroom like language.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Good man jeff I was waiting for that :? Still borderline though

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Hi!

Well, I'm a 15 years old guy, who doesn't like highschool neither, but it's just the system you know, learning stuff is great, otherwise I wouldn't be here!

I like history a lot! History of many countries, their religions, their culture.... their language! But I haven't learned another language yet, I'm pretty lazzy.

And, althrought I like Spain, and probably it's the only option I have if I want to live peacefully, growing in a turbulent country like mine makes you think on it, and want to be a great person to do something for it when I'm a grown and studied person.

:)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

jeff wrote:
lau_kai wrote:hello pplz

I edited your post. This is an education forum and that is not classroom like language.

jeff
If this is edited, I'm not sure if I'd be able to read the un-edited version.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

If this is edited, I'm not sure if I'd be able to read the un-edited version.
You don't often stray to other forums, do you? :wink:

dominus sciurorum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dominus sciurorum »

Hehe. Fora are funny places.

I'm 17 year old male, a senior in [a public] high school [in America]. I love [almost] all of my classes, especially Writer's Workshop (a creative writing class), orchestra (I play the viola), and my language classes, French(6) and Latin(3). I also dabble around in linux with gentoo and programming.

I'm such a geek :D .

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I am a 41 year old carpenter. I am from farming background and I am still a farmer at heart. (You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.)
I am a Christian. I hope to be able to read the Greek NT some time.
That was my main reason for starting to learn Greek, but this has taken on a life of its own. I like Greek, plain and simple. Learning it has almost become an obsession. I have a wife and four children.
That's all folks!

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

Michael, Sophemore College student. I live in the CENTER OF EVERYTHING...I mean, Ohio. Sorry bout that.

I have 8 years of Latin, 2ish of Greek, on-and-off-my-entire-life Hebrew.

I'm trying to get Aramaic before too much longer, also, and improve my Hebrew on a more regular basis than "I'm feeling restless, so let's sit down with some verb charts and memorize obscure forms!"

Gaius Julius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius Julius Caesar »

Hey, I'm Nick.

I'm a 9th grader at a school in Florida called Gstar, a school for acting,film production and T.V. I'm almost 16(only 2 months to go). I'm originally from Colombia S.A and moved to the U.S about 3 years ago. I enjoy learning anything that has to do with Classical history, specially Roman History, hence the name :lol: . I like to play video games, and the last one I bought is called Rome Total War ,which in my opinion, is the best strategy game ever. My ultimate goal is to be able to read texts by Caesar on the Gallic Wars in their original Latin, besides, I like the challenge of it. I'm glad I found this Fora.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Ach, I'm hoping to buy that game too... I'm playing the soul out of the demo as yet.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

That's a fine game. I have it. Unfortunately I have exams, now, too.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Eureka I was always under the impression that you were like 50 or something!

By public school Aurelia do you mean a private school, er...i.e. one without so many blacks? I don't know of one person of this race who know latin which is a pity I should be curious to know how a creative one might express himself! Considering what dem done done with the english language.

Hello, I am a bodybuilder and the new jojo song feat. lil bow wow inspires me to hit up that last weight on the bench press. I have also gained 12lb of lean muscle for I am bulking atm and thus am losing my 8 pack for abdominals are for puffywuffies with but one aim of femellae.
Like my stomach my language knowledge has gone downhill all those which I have learned are being lost including latin. It's just boring all these languages in the past month I have learned swedish all the grammar basic vocabulary but to become better one must only expand vocabulary and it's pointless I have no swedish babysitter with whom I might converse. Indeed, wherefore would a swedish girl come hither? det här landet suger så mycket!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:Eureka I was always under the impression that you were like 50 or something!
:) Excellent, that must mean I show both wizdom and maturity.

(I'm actually like 21 or something.)

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

Eureka wrote:(I'm actually like 21 or something.)
I'm like 39...and something. ;)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Timothy wrote:
Eureka wrote:(I'm actually like 21 or something.)
I'm like 39...and something. ;)
I'm like thirty-eleven

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I'm like sooooo totally 28 come this Wednesday, dude. Like awesome. 8)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I am a wisened 32 years old......

I love my wife, and my dog (probably my biggest passions in life)
I like to flyfish and tie my own flies
I like to play the bass (jazz thank you) and have played the sax for 20 years.
I like to read A LOT, right now it's Heinlein...pre-dirty old man period
I love Greek, am very fond of Hebrew, and think that German is a beautiful spoken language.
I am a semi-computer geek.
I work for a small software company editing Greek and Hebrew databases.
My main job (i.e. the one that really pays the bills) is for Safeway, I am a produce clerk, and I actually enjoy the mundaneness of the job after staring at a computer for hours on end. There's something refreshing about putting fresh veggies on a display...they don't crash, send error messages, or require to be stopped, turned off, restarted, and tried again :P
I am also a Christian, of the conservative type, but I try not to be a typical Christian....i.e one who knows waht he believes, but not why he believes it.

I am a Jazz nut, I love Miles, Jaco, Charlie, Dizzy, Tribal Tech, Pat Metheny, David Sanborn, Marcus Miller, Al Jarreau, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Herbie Hancock. BUT....I am also an old punker at heart, and I still love Henry Rollins, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Helmet, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, and more. I also listen to a bit of trip-hop and different oddball DJ stuff like DJ Shadow, Mark Farina, etc.

That about sums me up!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Geoff wrote:I'm like sooooo totally 28 come this Wednesday, dude. Like awesome. 8)
Yeah nah I'm gonna be like 22 on like Thursday y'know?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Getting to know everyone.

Post by benissimus »

[The Textkit staff all have bios on the contact page but anyways...]

I am an 18 year old male from California, USA. Right now I am in my second year of college pursuing a biology major, but I am thinking of switching to classical literature or linguistics. I plan on becoming a medical doctor but I will pursue my interest in classical languages and language development as much as I can. I've taken 4 semesters of Latin in college and I hope to take another in special studies this spring. I love Latin, I read Latin grammars for fun, I tutor Latin, translate Latin, and I moderate the Latin board here at Textkit. I also love Episcopus <3 . Since I joined Textkit about a year and a half ago I have seen it grow from a fairly small project into a thriving community (and I have had to share more and more Latin Q/A threads with intelligent newcomer Latinists). I am amazed by the renown of Textkit now, even my school's new Latin teacher knew of Benissimus before I met him in person. Apparently I am infamous among Latin teachers now due to my unofficial Wheelock's key :shock: jurassic park. I also want to learn a lot of other languages, but my interest is for some reason mainly in those that are no longer spoken.
Last edited by benissimus on Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

I am amazed by the renown of Textkit now, even my school's new Latin teacher knew of Benissimus before I met him in person. Apparently I am infamous among Latin teachers now due to my unofficial Wheelock's key jurassic park.
Oh MY!! :) That's a weird situation!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Getting to know everyone.

Post by Episcopus »

benissimus wrote:
but I am thinking of switching to classical literature or linguistics
Don't do that you ain't got to buy nothing
benissimus wrote: I love Latin, I read Latin grammars for fun, I tutor Latin, translate Latin, and I moderate the Latin board here at Textkit. I also love Episcopus <3

My feelings are indeed not indirectly proportional certainly not to any square or cube. And I am also an electron not a quark. QUARK QUARK CHICKEN
I used to read latin grammars, not for fun, I had to play music to bear them.
If you have so much love inside write some latin also. And how come there are people over there who actually want to learn latin? o teach me latin like. Go home son go home.
benissimus wrote: I am amazed by the renown of Textkit now, even my school's new Latin teacher knew of Benissimus before I met him in person. Apparently I am infamous among Latin teachers now due to my unofficial Wheelock's key :shock: jurassic park.
Depends what jurassic park really. No 3. was shocking. I personally believe that all major classics institutions occasionally spy on textkit as guests Herr DIGGLE ICH WEISS DAß SIE UNS ANSEHEN!
benissimus wrote:I also want to learn a lot of other languages, but my interest is for some reason mainly in those that are no longer spoken.
Well you're not doing very well at the moment. Every time I tell him steven learn swedish steven learn french steven learn spanish stephen learn czech he says ooh I am scared ooh I am puffywuffy ooh I have to tutor a granny for 4 bucks an hour even though I just received a cheque in the mail for no reason for triple the cube of aforementioned amount.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Thanks for that charming analysis of my intro Episcope :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ck%27s+key

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 7s+answers

yeah, we get lots of traffic for that key. I even get contact requests that go something like, "hiya. where's the wheelock key? can you email it to me. I'm like so in need of some help here. thanxs."
Textkit Founder

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

About me:

15 male, Sophmore at co-ed highschool
Black Wavy Hair, Chinese, Polish, Irish, Scottish (maybe)
I've taken piano for 11 years
I've trained in taekwondo for 11 years
Currently in 2nd year of latin
Lucky number: 2
Favorite Color: Red. (lucky chinese color)
Favorite band/music: the Cure / Queen
Pets: 2 kittens Yogi and BuBu
Favorite Hobby: Golf
Huge Red Sox Fan ("Revenge is a dish best served cold.")
Love going to the Ocean
Love to talk about our origins and philosophy
Play with Legoes
Origami
Favorite Place: Bermuda Islands
FAvorite Book: A Breif History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Devoted Roman Catholic
Bush/Republican Supporter
Really bad typist
Current Status: single (not that im suggesting anything)
Next summer job: Maintenance at the local golf course
Current Favorite Song: Lullaby - the Cure
Loves to play cards games (for fun)
Future Goals: No drugs, No smoking, No alchohol, Make people happy, Have a wonderful family, degree in a chemistry or physics field, speak fluent chinese (cantonese), learn the art of chinese calligraphy

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

physics. again. I read here somewhere a lot of poeple here are aspiring Physicists. So is another Latin student I know.

I'm not. It makes my head hurt. (Physics that is)