Hello (the officially sanctioned version)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Hello (the officially sanctioned version)

Post by atriades »

:oops: Some people really do take the biscuit - me for example. I have only just turned up here and I have already broken the rules by trying to introduce myself in someone else's thread. I always tell my pupils to read the instructions before they try to answer any of the questions...D'oh!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Welcome. :)

Just out of interest, what do you teach?

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:P Naturally I teach Latin and Classical Civilisation, maybe with some Greek to follow. I love my job! What about you, Eureka, what do you do?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

ARgh! A Latin teacher!

*goes and hides*

:wink:

Hehehe, Welcome to Textkit!

A friend of mine from the year above is studying to become a Greek teacher, so just half a year after leaving school she was back again doing her work experience here. She was actually studying Media-studies, but thought it was too boring. Did you have Greek and Latin at school or did you only start when you went to uni?

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Hello (the officially sanctioned version)

Post by mariek »

Hi! Welcome to Textkit!

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

8) I have been doing Latin since I was 11 and Greek since I was 13, so I suppose we go a long way back (at least from my limited perspective!). Latin and Greek are still taught a bit at a few schools in England, though it seems to be more and more the case that people are taking up the languages at University because they have not had access to them at school.

Does anybody know where I can find a copy of Pliny's letter to Hispulla about Calpurnia on the web for the test my fifth form are doing on Friday?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Does anybody know where I can find a copy of Pliny's letter to Hispulla about Calpurnia on the web for the test my fifth form are doing on Friday?
Nothing in perseus, although there are one or two here. Although being a teacher of Latin you are surely aware of the major sources of classical literature.

Have you the book/letter numbers? Difficult to search easily without them.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Certainly, here's bits of it in Latin: (under the link on the left called Texte)

http://buene.muenster.de/mauritz/projek ... eb/#/.html
Last edited by Emma_85 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:D Thanks very much for that, Turpissime, I was just hoping to find a way of making the document in one go tonight instead of having to cut and paste tomorrow but it is obvious that there is no way to avoid it now. It was 4.19, just for the record and the Vroma link you gave me was one I have used before but had forgotten about, but even that does not have it in a format that my pupils will find easy to relate to. Oh well, it was worth a try!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

They have 4.19 on the site I just posted the link to above.

Edit: It does of course use the Germany punctuation...
Last edited by Emma_85 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

And thank you too, Emma, but I must refer you to the reply I gave when you were very kindly trying to help me! :wink:

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

Mariek, can I ask you where your Latin tag line came from?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

What format are your pupils expecting the text to be in? the other link i know is http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/pliny.ep4.html

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:cry: They have it in the format of the Cambridge Latin Anthology - have you ever come across that, it's a vairly standard version for this age group in England - and as it is the first piece of Latin literature they have ever been tested on I am going to try and make it as user friendly as possible.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

atriades wrote:8) I have been doing Latin since I was 11 and Greek since I was 13, so I suppose we go a long way back (at least from my limited perspective!). Latin and Greek are still taught a bit at a few schools in England, though it seems to be more and more the case that people are taking up the languages at University because they have not had access to them at school.
I was just curious, hehehe, I’m always curious about everything :-P. So you're from the UK? I suppose they are desperately looking for Latin and Greek teachers there what with so few people studying it (or those that do don't go on to teach). I know they are desperately looking for Greek and Latin teachers in Germany, you can choose your school here if you've got Greek and Latin. You said you only occasionally teach Greek? So there's no ancient Greek A-level class where you teach?

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

Not at the moment :( but I hope there will be in the future :D . There should be a bit of a resurgence in the subject on the way because the Minimus project has opened up something like 2000 primary schools (age 7-11) to Latin where there was none before and that may help to counteract the years of the subject being worn down by any number of shortsighted attempts to kill the subject off. That may actually
see the subject grow as those pupils filter through to secondary level. :D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

atriades wrote::cry: They have it in the format of the Cambridge Latin Anthology - have you ever come across that, it's a vairly standard version for this age group in England - and as it is the first piece of Latin literature they have ever been tested on I am going to try and make it as user friendly as possible.
I'm afraid I've not come across that format, so (i've done my homework Turpissimus :wink: ) I googeled some sample pages. I don't think I've seen anything similar on the web though. All my Latin books had the commentary at the bottom of the page.

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Can I invite people to have a look at my blog? It is mostly for the pupils at school but there are obvious posts which anyone can comment on. It is at http://atriades.blogspot.com/ so all are welcome to come and have a look around!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

atriades wrote::P Naturally I teach Latin and Classical Civilisation, maybe with some Greek to follow. I love my job! What about you, Eureka, what do you do?
I'm a university student, studying Engineering and Science.

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

Dear Atriades,

I've got iv, 19, to Calpurnia Hispulla, in the Sherwin-White (1967) book, and could scan it for you (and maybe even OCR it for you) in time for Friday, if that would help? It's got good notes, too, which I could scan.

PM me if it would, else if you think it's a total arse of an idea, I shan't be in the least offended if you say so!

There is nothing quite so gratifying as panicking teachers :D :D :D !

Do say if I can help; it would be a pleasure for me to do so,
Sincerely,
Phylax

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Welcome hither :wink:

But I must warn you I emailed AQA telling them nice one for cancelling Latin and I plan to go up to the Highlands and remove Minimus then close Latin in all primary schools and then I will burn all Latin books including D'Ooge and then I will burn down textkit even though it's a website and can't really be burned and we throw eggs at Latin students because they're all geeks and losers. Down with Latin! :o

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

Thanks for the offer but I should already have sorted myself out with this bit of photcopying today - I did actually have exactly what I needed already just not at home at the time, so I was just being very lazy! Thanks for the kind offer, though, Phylax!

Episcopus, why are you so bitter? Have you not been enjoying Latin much then?

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

Episcopus, if you dislike Latin, would it not be better for you to spell your nickname "Episkopos"?

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:D Incidentally aren't you actually a Latin student? Surely you should then be chucking eggs at yourself first :twisted:

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

Dear Atriades,

Would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of your classical blog, which you mention in another thread? (If you've already posted its URL somewhere else - my apologies!)

Phylax

PS How did your class on "Cum sis pietatis exemplum ... " go?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

atriades wrote::D Incidentally aren't you actually a Latin student? Surely you should then be chucking eggs at yourself first :twisted:
I accidentally did that one morning when trying to boil an egg I tried to hold the egg on the spoon and it fell on my foot. So I licked it up like a dog in one of my latin stories. Very technically I am not a latin student for I pretty much ignore all poetry even if I have 'read' it, I write only. Plus I've never been to any latin class in my life. I intend to keep it that way with my imminent demolition of Minimus.

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

http://atriades.blogspot.com/ is the one you are looking for, Phylax, and the test on 4.19 went pretty well. What do you do, Phylax?

Demolition of Minimus seems harsh for a subject that can be so useful!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes useful for informing oneself of the way in which to acquire a 15 year old wife when you are an old man that's a great example of piety and one whence can many minimus students extract so much in the respect of learning: in a few years the little boys shall have to marry my granny.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

It seems Episcopus sense of humor is confusing you just a bit :P .

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

Many thanks, Atriades - a beautifully laid out site with some really good and useful things there! I have added it to my Favorites.
What do you do, Phylax?
I'm a web designer.
to acquire a 15 year old wife when you are an old man
It seems a pointless excercise, Episkopus, to judge the mores of ancient times by today's standards. In any case, Pliny was hardly an "old man" at the time - he was in his forties - to one of my vast age, that seems quite young! And 15 did not seem too young to the Romans for a girl to marry; indeed there are many places in the modern world where one can marry at that age. In New York, for example, a girl can marry at 13 with court permission.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

So does Pliny's say 40 at the youngest marrying a 15 year old mean that I can wed a -8 year old? And I'm not even going to hyperbolise here by mentioning the dynamin thereof, for it could get ugly and all erroneous up in this piece.

It seems that social acceptance of a certain doing is very important in the rancidity factor of the doing, for example some would say nowadays 40 on a 15 year old to be sick the romans would say she's a bit old like. I can't even say whether I'd like a 15 year old or not when I be 40 for I am not 40 yet and also I would be considered a criminal :?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Phylax wrote: In New York, for example, a girl can marry at 13 with court permission.
:shock: What sick people live in New York? You can't kiss or drink alcohol in public, but you can marry a 13 year old girl?

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

So does Pliny's say 40 at the youngest marrying a 15 year old mean that I can wed a -8 year old?
No.
you can marry a 13 year old girl?
Yes, Emma, but only with the permission of a court, apparently.

Apologies for the thread hijack, Atriades!

Phylax

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Post by atriades »

:) I am happy to be hijacked - this is providing me with useful knowledge for discussion of the Calpurnia letter - I suppose it's easy to assume that because such marriages do not happen in your own experience they don't, can't and shouldn't happen anywhere, when in actual fact there are places on earth which are probably still less culturally advanced than the Romans even though the Romans haven't been around for a millennium and a half!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Apologies, still a valid discussion. Especially about the -8 year old. I just became excited as I have actually read that piece intrigued by such an age difference.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Welcome to the board.....a lot of good chaps here. It's become a sort of home for me. BTW, you have the very job I would like to have....although it would be teaching Greek rather than Latin (a language I have yet to learn).