Looking for medical dictionary with etymology

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Looking for medical dictionary with etymology

Post by 1%homeless »

I'm trying to find a medical dictionary (specifically for human anatomy and physiology) that has pronunciation guides and etymology. Anglicized Latin and Greek pronunciation is wacky and isn't always predictable. I think I should ask for a botanical dictionary with the same requirements as well while I'm at it, since I'm going to need one in a few years... I wonder if each scientific discipline pronounce word roots differently... I suppose it's too much to ask for a reform in pronunciation...

Am I stuck with just using Latin and Greek dictionaries?

Anna Coluthon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anna Coluthon »

Bantam used to publish a pocket medical dictonary with both pronunciations and classical derivations. It was in print as recently as 15 years ago, so if a version of it is not still in print you still ought to be able to find a copy used pretty easily.

I don't know about the most recent editions, but my inherited Britannica Dictionaries are full to overflowing with medical, anatomical and botanical terms, and likewise give derivations and pronunciations. It might be worth looking at an unabridged Britannica to see if it has what you need.

Cheers!

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Well! Thanks for the head start. :)