Naming the Flat

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Naming the Flat

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salvete, Chaireteke!

I and my roommates recently moved into our new flat on campus, and we've been trying to come up with a catchy name for it -- it's already a popular hangout for others, so giving it a neat, memorable appellation would let it have a very singular identity.

It's rather unique an appartment. We're on the very top floor of our upperclassman residence hall, the sixth, and have perhaps the best view of the city downhill and the campus uphill of any location in the area. My engineering roommates know of my linguistic affinity, so they suggested I translate "The Penthouse" or "Penthouse Suite" or an equivalent into some cool language.

Well, Latin obviously didn't have many high-rises or actual penthouses, but there might be some other word or expression which fits the description of our high look-out apparment. And I don't know any significant amount of Ancient Greek, so I have no idea what cool words might be hiding there.

Any thoughts? Suggestions or ideas of any kind would be most appreciated; I'm open to any language and any word. Gratias vobis maximas!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't think I've ever heard of someone naming their apartment before. University students are so strange. ;)

(sorry I don't have any suggestions)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

klewlis wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of someone naming their apartment before. University students are so strange. ;)

(sorry I don't have any suggestions)
Here in the Netherlands it's quite usual for student houses to have names. Some are official enough to be in the phone book.

Rome had high rises - well, not exactly skyscrapers, but there where multiple story buildings, called insulae. Perhaps you can do something with that?

Ingrid

Lucan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lucan »

insulae! That's the word I was looking for :D

Ostia had them too. Lots in fact...

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

hm.. didn't Juvenal write about those? Maybe he had a name for top-floor tenants.. (not that living on the top floor of an insula was good)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Well, thanks anyway, guys. We've resolved to call it Casa Excelsa, appropriately.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Indeed, that should suit the 'lofty hut' to a tee.

~D