Tolkien's "The Hobbit" in Latin to be published 13 Sep 2012

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Tolkien's "The Hobbit" in Latin to be published 13 Sep 2012

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

While perusing the article about hobbits, Tolkien's creatures known from his novels, I stumbled upon a footnote leading on to an Amazon-page announcing the publication of Hobbitus Ille: The Latin Hobbit, translated by Mark Walker.

Some stats:
  • Publisher: HarperCollins
  • Pages: 320
  • Due to published on: 13 Sep 2012
I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Re: Tolkien's "The Hobbit" in Latin to be published 13 Sep 2

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

It irritates me to no end to see "the" so needlessly translated - first "Winnie ille Pu", now "Hobbitus Ille". Sure, the translation of the article may have some place somewhere, but surely not here. It sounds even less Latin than Winnie, Pu and Hobbitus in this context.

If they were so determined to get some authentic Latin in the title, they could have included the alternate title "There and Back Again".
mihi iussa capessere fas est

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

YES. Well....part of me wants it...the other part is telling me off for wanting it due to the utterly facetious "ille" there, judging from some of the authors other work he certainly doesn't seem like the talented sort. Hmm...I suspect it will be an utter waste of cash and a crap job, but....look at the cover. It has Smaug in mosaic form....how...non possum resistere....:( ...help.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

If it helps, I still might give it a go. I am just irritated by the title :p
mihi iussa capessere fas est

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I am rather astounded by the venom with which you react to this book. Don't you think that it is a bit too early (and certainly rather harsh) to judge the quality of his translation, just from a small word from the title?

I had a peek at the Internet to find out more about the translator, Mark Walker. His previous books dealing with Latin have been anthologies giving Latin texts and snippets, so they do not help in gauging his translation skills. I did find, however, one piece (actually three short pieces) of his translation efforts which might be used to judge his capabilities.

Mark Walker is the editor of a small journal of New Latin Poetry called "Vates" (four issues so far). In the fourth edition he presents 3 Carmina ex Hobbitto Illo, that is three short songs appearing in the Tolkien's book The Hobbit.

Another example is a metrical experiment titled Dinosauria which can be found in Vates #2.

I'm not an expert (and certainly no lover of poetry). So I leave it to others to judge Mr. Walker's abilities.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.