Salvete! (An introduction)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Fair Terentia
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete! (An introduction)

Post by Fair Terentia »

Salvete omnes!

My name is Terentia (well, it isn't really, but for the purpose of this board, Terentia will do very well :) ). I'm 17 years old and live in England. I'm studying Latin and Greek for A Level, and intend to carry them on at university.

I arrived here through the Latin club at http://www.portkey.org (a Harry Potter site) when I was trying to advertise my own web forum (http://lakeavernus.proboards28.com). This site is basically what I wanted to set up for myself. However, it's got taken over by a group of silly people from school. :evil: Finally, I've found a place where I really seriously can discuss Classics with like minded people. I'm the only person in my Greek class (everyone at my school wants to be doctors, for some bizarre reason) and I find myself sometimes feeling a little lonely, for lack of fellow enthusiasts. Raving to your teacher about Odyssey IX is one thing, but it would be nice to have a contempory as well. Anyway, enough self pity!

I don't know who you are, or what this board is really for, as I'm new, but if you're all as obsessed with the wonderful, exciting, inspiration Ancient World, then I'm sure to like it here! :D

Terentia (the Fair, because the real one it seems wasn't though she did live to 103!!)

ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ricelius »

Salve, and welcome! I do hope you'll like it -- a lot of people here are very dedicated :) (Not that silliness never happens... :lol:)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Welcome here!

It's very cool that they still allow the greek class to run with only one student! You are blessed!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Welcome aboard Terentia.

If it's any consolation to you, when I was doing A level Greek, Latin and Ancient History in the mid 1970s, there were 3 in my Greek class, 2 in my Latin, and just me in my Ancient History class.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote:Welcome here!

It's very cool that they still allow the greek class to run with only one student! You are blessed!
Indeed!

Welcome Terentia!

Fair Terentia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fair Terentia »

Thanks for the welcomes! :D

I know I'm really lucky that my school offers Greek even with only one person. Though how long that will last I don't know... since schools now have to consider whether subjects are 'worth running'. There are 5 in my Latin group, which is good.

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Welcome to textkit! I wish you well in your courses and hope that you are able to continue in your Greek studies.