Latina Poena Longa

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Latina Poena Longa

Post by Timothy »

I am suffering from Latin withdrawal symptoms. I can't get to my Latin texts and even if I could I have no place to put them. I'm venting, I know. I can't help it. In my own defense, I believe I have cause.

Last week we were scheduled to have new carpeting put in the house. We had spent the previous week preparing for the installation. We packed everything we own into boxes, emptied drawers, closets, hallways, moved all the furniture, knickknacks, bric-a-brac and...squashed it all into two rooms of the house. I mean everything. We were prepared. See, we had to move all of it out of those two rooms the next day so they could finish the installation. We thought we might try to just move it out on the lawn but we were advised against that. Here in Maryland we are having a biological event. Cicadas. Lots of cicadas. Millions, no,...billions of cicadas. Stupid bugs. They can't fly worth a as and don't see much better. They would like nothing better than to get into everything you have and make a incredible racket in order to get a date.

No, we didn't want that.

So we packed everything into two rooms and then we moved it all out that night. We packed carefully so that when we moved the second night most of the stuff would be in the right place so that when we unpacked after the installation we only had to move like half the stuff. (I mean, you really don't want to move a piano more than once or twice in a lifetime.)

Like I say, we were prepared. Now I'm a good legatus. I packed my Latin texts carefully so that when we unpacked the second night they would just sort of plop out there at the end and I would just pick up where I left off with but a brief two day interruptus.

Then: calumnitus maximus! They measured wrong! The carpet was too short. They would have to order new carpet. Argh!

Now I'm over here and D'Ooge is....<massive pile of stuff>.......over here.

I'm worried. I'm starting to forget what the third declension looks like. I am not sure I can conjuagte properly any more. I must have offended a god or maybe it was because I voted for Hera. I dunno. The place is starting to look like the Tullulium (sp?)

Home Depot can't do carpets. Least not mine.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

- Tim

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Poor you! I missed you already, the D'ooge forum is quiet...

You might try to work online, as you seem to have access to your computer?

Ingrid

PS:
miles
militis
militi
militem
milite

milites
militum
militibus
milites
militibus :P

ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ricelius »

I sympathize with your predicament! But I wonder, how did you manage to get on the internet? At least be thankful for that -- imagine a situation with neither D'Ooge nor Textkit!

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

ingrid70 wrote: PS:
miles
militis
militi
militem
milite

milites
militum
militibus
milites
militibus
Yeah! That's the stuff! :)

- Tim

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

ricelius wrote:But I wonder, how did you manage to get on the internet? At least be thankful for that -- imagine a situation with neither D'Ooge nor Textkit!
Well, I had it all planned out, you see. I had ordered the new DSL connection so that it would arrive after the carpet was done. And since Murphy's Law was in full effect, the DSL arrived before the carpet. So when I packed the computers I moved them last to the cellar and after the first day I jury-rigged them back together. But I've had to use a step ladder for a chair!

Anyway, while things may look grim for the home team, I take a page from Roman History and note that the Repubilc faced many periods of defeat but the strength of the Roman character was in determination and persistance.

- Tim

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm sure your local library has a couple of latin books... why don't you go hang out there? Or even at the bookstore.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

klewlis wrote:I'm sure your local library has a couple of latin books... why don't you go hang out there? Or even at the bookstore.
What? You would have me hanging around the library bumming latin books? :lol: And I do own a few books. The "Latin: An Intesive Course" book is sitting right next to D'Ooge and Collar and Danielle...on the other side of the room. :roll: Now tonight I'm picking up the restored Greenough "Second Year Latin", so I think I'm all set. :D

- Tim

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ricelius wrote:...imagine a situation with neither D'Ooge nor Textkit!
:shock: Plants would not survive

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

:lol:

Well, maybe a few plants.
Dull ones.
Lichen.

- Tim