Delayed Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Delayed Introduction

Post by ricelius »

Hello all!

Seeing that I signed up here almost a year ago, it seems a little late for an introduction. But I believe I never made one in the first place, and better late than never eh?

My name is Anders and I'm a Danish high school student primarily enrolled in math and physics courses, but I'm very interested in Latin and Roman culture and managed to get my Danish teacher (who also happens to have a master's in classics) to teach me Latin. So I've been "officially" learning it for almost a year now and have an exam just tomorrow... Wish me luck... :)

I noticed that some people here seem to have a very good grasp of Latin (better than I do of English), and I was wondering if you could disclose some hints about how you learned it that well? Is it mostly a matter of experience, i.e. reading a lot of classical works? What would you suggest to a newbie who's very enthusiastic but who doesn't necessarily know the language that well yet? Also, I was wondering, what do all the Latin (and Greek) sharks do for a living? I know that Latin's far from a dead language, but still, what can you actually do with a classics degree besides teaching? I would really like to go to university and study Latin, but I'm not sure which use I could actually put it to.

So, here I am, old member but new face! I'm happy to be here, this is a very friendly community.

Valete!

ricelius

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Good teachers. Good teachers. Good teachers.

A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

Salve Ricelius! I'll be asking you for help :lol:

ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ricelius »

Barrius wrote:Salve Ricelius! I'll be asking you for help :lol:
:lol: I'm not sure how much "help" I can offer, but I'll try my best!

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Welcome to the forum, ricelius! :)

Study Latin everyday, even if it is only 15-30 minutes. Better to do a little bit daily than hours once a week.

Good luck in your studies! By the way, you seem to have a fine grasp of the English language...I look forward to reading your Latin!

lindylars
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lindylars »

Welcome to Textkit!
Surion wrote:Sed ad rem, I've read an article lately on modelling language death and it was stated that English is on its best way to die BECAUSE it has so many speakers. What do you think about it?
Wasn't it Winston Churchill who commented on England and the United States by saying - "Two peoples separated by a common language"? I don't know the effect of having too many English speakers in the long term beyond having local colloquialisms that hardly anyone outside a particular geographical area would be able to completely understand. However, having well educated speakers from different cultural backgrounds does cause for a near "Tower of Babel" level of confusion in certain situations, despite the "common" language being spoken.

I am an American by birth but still fall into the odd category having lived most of my life overseas. I would like to believe that because of my "internationalization," for lack of a better term, has enabled me to be more attuned to the patois that can pass for English in some parts of the world. Most Americans (and this is not a put down, just a factual observation) who are not oriented to the study of other languages (thus, it is safe to say, an overwhelming majority) cannot get past a speaker's "accent" and thus wind up concentrating on the "sound" of the words being said which unfortunately obliterates any hope of processing the "meaning" of what was actually said.

This often happens in reverse as well, when it comes to "modern" language study. Take the audio portions of most language courses, such as the tapes/CDs/software sound bites. Comprehension is stellar, over time, when listening to sentences or conversations spoken with a deliberate pace and emphasis on enunciation for clarity. However, through the same student into a situation with native speakers and every bit of knowledge usually gets thrown out the window -- "Wow Ron, holy <fill-in-the-blanks>!?#! Are they speaking Russian/Mandarin to you? Naah, no way...bet you wish you were somewhere else right now, eh?" Heck, they (the native speakers) could be saying the very same material you've been working on but since it is being thrown at you, like it would be on the street, the synapses don't make as clear of a connection as they would have in the classroom/language lab setting.

That's why I've always been a fan of "immersion" methods of learning whenever possible. Assuming one is given the chance to recuperate and mull over things from time to time, there are some definite benefits to the "sink or swim" technique. Unfortunately, that isn't readily available in Latin or Homeric/Attic Greek.
Surion wrote:PS. Sorry for any mistakes, if any, in my English, which I neglect for the sake of Latin&Greek :)
Trust me, your written English is fine -- better than many Americans I know (which isn't odd for me because I know that my English classes overseas were, in some ways, much more comprehensive than corresponding classes here in the States). But that is true of folks truly interested in learning a "foreign" language, they pay more attention to detail than most native speakers and thus are aware of things that are otherwise usually taken for granted.

Apologies for the rant...

Regards,
Ron

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Welcome son.

If I could write latin as you do english, Ich would be proud :wink:

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Welcome!

Yes immersion is ideal! Massachusetts is the worst place for studying Spanish because you NEVER get an opportunity to talk to actual Spanish speakers, but every once in a while you catch a conversation around a corner, in a changing room, on the other side of a street...you know, horrible temptation...

Honestly, 95% of people who've said "Please forgive my English" I would never guess weren't native speakers (after all those 'hey my stomech feels wierd' conversations on other forums, you're just pristine)

Lawyers, I think, do major in Classics, as well as librarians and um...authors? J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter) did. Or double-major if you can do that in Danish university?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Delayed Introduction

Post by benissimus »

Salve Riceli,

It's never too late, I should probably write my intro one of these days... :D
ricelius wrote:I noticed that some people here seem to have a very good grasp of Latin (better than I do of English), and I was wondering if you could disclose some hints about how you learned it that well? Is it mostly a matter of experience, i.e. reading a lot of classical works? What would you suggest to a newbie who's very enthusiastic but who doesn't necessarily know the language that well yet? Also, I was wondering, what do all the Latin (and Greek) sharks do for a living? I know that Latin's far from a dead language, but still, what can you actually do with a classics degree besides teaching? I would really like to go to university and study Latin, but I'm not sure which use I could actually put it to.
Back in the good old days, I used to spend 8 or more hours per week doing Latin. This is impossible unless you have a lot of material, so it requires a book with a lot of exercises (until you get to the point where any piece of writing is legible to you). I also owe an enormous debt to my absolutely amazing teacher; I can honestly say he is the best teacher I have ever had in my entire life and the fact that he taught me my favorite subject gave me the zeal I needed to devote myself to it.

That's my advice anyways. Some of it you can't control, like how good your teacher is (hopefully you like him), but other things, like your devotion and studiousness are your own faculties. I don't plan on getting a degree with my Latin, but it has brought me some interesting (and weird) opportunities. I have taught, tutored, and translated, making quite a bit of money along the way. I think the most satisfying part is helping others and maybe even speaking it with them, which you will hopefully enjoy soon too.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae