neos tis

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Surion
Textkit Neophyte

neos tis

Post by Surion »

Good day!,

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading some posts from time to time previously but haven't registered till now.
I'm a student, studying inter alia classical lingustics at Warsaw University. Some say I'm blessed to know Polish language because its grammar is so similar to that of Greek & Latin. Well, maybe it's a bit more similar than English or German grammar due to its complex flection :) but we have only three tenses and it's still a hard work to get familiar with those instruments of torment :cry:
But, to be honest, I like them (i.e. Greek and Latin) like few other things and I am happy that someone had an idea to put all those books here. Especially the Greek Prose Composer which will assist my efforts during holidays. :)
I've seen something about dead languages :shock: Who did dare??!! Sed ad rem, I've read an article lately on modelling language death and it was stated that English is on its best way to die BECAUSE it has so many speakers. What do you think about it?

Haec igitur

PS. Sorry for any mistakes, if any, in my English, which I neglect for the sake of Latin&Greek :)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Re: neos tis

Post by Eureka »

G’day, and welcome to Textkit, Surion. Which dialect of Greek are you studying?
Surion wrote: I've read an article lately on modelling language death and it was stated that English is on its best way to die BECAUSE it has so many speakers. What do you think about it?
I guess it could mean that the different dialects of English could end up evolving into different languages (like vulgar Latin did). I doubt it, though. I suspect that, instead, the increased contact between speakers of the different dialects will result in the dialects merging (like the Greek dialects did).
Surion wrote: Some say I'm blessed to know Polish language because its grammar is so similar to that of Greek & Latin. Well, maybe it's a bit more similar than English or German grammar due to its complex flection :) but we have only three tenses and it's still a hard work to get familiar with those instruments of torment :cry:
Tenses are good, m’kay? :P

Surion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Surion »

Classical attic, of course. Though we've had lately Epistulam ad Diognetum, which is koine. Actually it's only "official" because we did learn something about other dialects, e.g. doric. You can't read dramas without them. :) It's just that we didn't really mastered them as we did attic. Shame

And why is this question? Do you learn ONLY one dialect there?

Salvete

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

salve
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Surion wrote:And why is this question? Do you learn ONLY one dialect there?
I'm studying Greek independently. My school had Latin, but not Greek.

I'm primarily looking at Attic, at the moment. I agree that other dialects are important, though.