Blood in the Bath

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cadoro
Textkit Neophyte

Blood in the Bath

Post by cadoro »

Not directly related to Latin learning but an amusing incident I thought you'd enjoy

Last night I settled in the bath with some Beethoven playing on the radio, a decadent glass of Fitou by my side and a Loeb classic edition of Ovid's Metamorphoses...to savour..true luxury.I read through the legend of Acteon and Diana (he's the one who is mauled by Diana's dogs as he inadvertently spies her bathing, you remember),put the book down on the side ansd drifted into a heat-inspired doze.The horror when I wake up and see the bath as streaked with blood as if the book was exuding the sheer horror of Acteon's death

On closer inspection, of course,I see the red ink from the cover of the book is running after my pawing it with wet hands.I cannot recall the last time any book's ink ran after reading it in the bath.Has Harvard Press never thought about upgrading to a waterproof ink?!

Fredericus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fredericus »

The book is obviously defective. I would return it for a new one.

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Last night I settled in the bath with some Beethoven playing on the radio, a decadent glass of Fitou by my side and a Loeb classic edition of Ovid's Metamorphoses...to savour..true luxury.I read through the legend of Acteon and Diana (he's the one who is mauled by Diana's dogs as he inadvertently spies her bathing, you remember),put the book down on the side ansd drifted into a heat-inspired doze.The horror when I wake up and see the bath as streaked with blood as if the book was exuding the sheer horror of Acteon's death
My friend, you have made my day. That is hilarious.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

:lol: GREAT anecdote. I recommend this be moved to the Open Forum so more Texkit fans can enjoy.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Blood in the Bath

Post by PeterD »

cadoro wrote:Last night I settled in the bath with some Beethoven playing on the radio, a decadent glass of Fitou by my side and a Loeb classic edition of Ovid's Metamorphoses...drifted into a heat-inspired doze...when I wake up and see the bath as streaked with blood...
WARNING: See what happens when you bathe alone? :)

PeterD

P.S. I'd love to narrate one of my bathing stories, but I'm afraid it would not get past the moderators -- tant pis.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Now for a completely anally retentive post......

I am a very BIG bathtub reader (I am speaking of frequency rather than girth...although I am a rather large fellow) I ALWAYS put dustjacket covers on my hardbacks for this very purpose, although I prefer to read a paperback in the tub, cuz I'm very protective with my hardbacks (plus they can be so large and unwieldly that it's just not confortable). With my paperbacks I ALWAYS laminate the covers. Go to your local Home Depot, or Lowe's and look for contact paper....like the kind that you line your kitchen drawers with, there is almost alway a clear one...it isn't perfectly clear, but it still looks pretty good, and it will make your paperback last forever. Clear contact paper is also a VERY cheap route to go....you can buy a huge roll of it for 5 bucks or so....actual book laminte is much more expensive.

FWIW I get my dustjacket covers from here http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/default.htm they are archival quality, and I use them on virtually all of my reference books, plus it makes my "library" actuall look like a "library"....yeah I know, I'm a geek, but hey so are all of you for reading this and thinking, "that's not a bad idea!"
:lol:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Kopio wrote:Now for a completely anally retentive post...
Hi Kopio,

Excellent suggestion about the dustjacket covers, but, if a may digress for a moment, I am surprised that the word 'anally' is not censored by the moderators, yet when I tried to write the word 'ass' (see what I mean?) it gets bleaped. I am just wondering.

Again, excellent suggestion, Kopio.

PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Couldn't tell you....I was very surprised when I previewed it and it was still there :shock: Nice to know we can slip one by every now and then :D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"Anally" is from the Latin 4th declension word anus, -us "an old woman". Had it come from the 2nd declension word, Mariek and Jeff would be knocking down your door :P
Last edited by benissimus on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

The red ink on blue-prints (red-prints??.... Whatever) does not stand up to water very well either. Not to rain water anyway, I have never tried it in bath tub.
I have never read any thing in a bath tub other than the label on a champoo bottle. (The ink is okay on it.)

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bert wrote:I have never read any thing in a bath tub other than the label on a champoo bottle.
Ain't it the truth, Bert.

The words RINSE, REPEAT shall forever be etched in my memory.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

A bathroom is a better place for meditation than reading. IMHO.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

PeterD wrote:I am surprised that the word 'anally' is not censored by the moderators
This is off-topic, but just so you know:
While moderators move and delete posts frequently enough, it is rare that they actually censor words as such; for that, the forum has automatic filters (which even they cannot bypass). At any rate, you'll see a message at the bottom of your post telling you if a moderator has touched it...

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

My friend, that is humorous.

mercutio
Textkit Neophyte

bloody baths

Post by mercutio »

So that means that after your bath you had to clean yourself by having another bath?
And while I sympathise with you waking up to think yourself in a bath of your own blood, it could have been worse:)
Imagine if you'd been reading a Greek Loeb... then what would you have thought?:) Green blood? Or what?

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Well, it could be disconcerting for a Vulcan reading a Greek Loeb in the bath.

cadoro
Textkit Neophyte

Re: bloody baths

Post by cadoro »

mercutio wrote:So that means that after your bath you had to clean yourself by having another bath?
And while I sympathise with you waking up to think yourself in a bath of your own blood, it could have been worse:)
Imagine if you'd been reading a Greek Loeb... then what would you have thought?:) Green blood? Or what?
Actually I wonder if some scientist among you would care to test that..? Not being one of the Hellenophiles in this class I have no sample to try.
(someone is going to be reckless enough to dip his Green Loeb in the water,I know)

Isn't it interesting the more off topic, salacious or silly the more this board gets busy?
And the general public regards classics scholars as dry bones..