Curses!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Curses!

Post by Thucydides »

Curses! Here I am trying to look up a simple word like "apatouria" in LSJ, and no matter which search I use on whatever mirror I always get nothing... just that damn spinning IE globe....

GRR
Last edited by Thucydides on Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've been having trouble with perseus lately too... they seem to be down more often than not. :(
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

ps: Middle Liddel says this for apatouria:

"a festival at Athens in the month Pyanepsion, lasting three days, during which the Athenians had their grown up sons enrolled among the citizens. (Prob. derived from pater or phratria, with a euphon.)"
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Yeah, it does seem to be down quite a bit, but the Berlin site isn't often down: http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hmmm, it is odd today. They must be in a big maintenance job.
The Somerville hote site and the Berlin mirror site doesn't respond for the tool tab. And the Chicago mirror doesn't respond for the search. :? :(

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Thanks for that Klewlis :D

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Damn you Perseus

Post by Lisa »

Hi, all,

I haven't received any reports of errors or dropped or slow connections over the past few days. We all have internal servers here we use for our work: we won't know if there is a problem on the main site unless the users report it! Please drop the webmaster a note.
What is happening now is being investigated: it may be a robot or a bug partcular to that tool. We don't typically have lots of traffic this time of year and none of the servers are down.

Also, we don't control the mirrors: problems at the mirrors can be reported to us and we'll relay them along to the appropriate people.

We were down over the holiday weekend, as we noted and announced, for the annual power shutdown on the Tufts campus. We posted this in advance and to our Yahoo! group.

Keep in mind, Perseus is not funded to provide the WWW site and we offer no warranty of service. Nor do we have any around the clock support staff.

Also, please don't damn us.

Best,
Lisa

Barrius
Textkit Member

Re: Damn you Perseus

Post by Barrius »

Lisa wrote:Also, please don't damn us.
:lol: I think someone attempting to use the site was frustrated - it seems many of us like Perseus. I used it for historical research long before I began Latin.

Many thanks for the site and all your efforts.

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Damn you Perseus

Post by Lisa »

Hi again,

I agree there is much about Perseus which can be frustrating. Until, however, we institute the psychic user support we can't know about a problem until it's brought to our attention.

What most upsets me is when I receive a report and then the note that "it's been acting up for a few days/weeks/months/forever." Please take a minute and let us know. If we know of the issue, or can't replicate it, we'll tell you. If it's simply a heavy traffic day, we'll tell you that, too.

There's no susbstite for a detailed error report.

Best,
Lisa

(P.S. This particular word search is the only one acting up that we can see so far: none of the other dictionary searches we've done a spot check on seem to be behaving this way.)

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Sorry. That was slightly unfair.

Some of us come to rely on Perseus so much (because it's so useful) that we get rather thrown out if it doesn't work.

Thucydides

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I have to agree, I was quite shocked by the damning of Perseus :shock:
Why would you damn an amazing free resource of such magnitude for the sake of a greek festival that is long gone? Thucy, your apology was great though :lol:

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Well you see I really really needed to know...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Did the topic name just change? :wink:

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

Episcopus wrote:Did the topic name just change? :wink:
:P Maybe Lisa won't be mad.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I agree that it's tough to fix the problem if you do not know about it... however, it's also tough for us to *report* the problem if we cannot access the site to get contact info! :)

We will keep trying. We love perseus!