Modern to Ancient Greek et alii

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Modern to Ancient Greek et alii

Post by Michaelyus »

I know nearly nothing about Modern Greek, and I have been wondering if one can make a Modern Greek word (say τηλεόραση) conform to the grammatical structure (and dignity) of Attic. I hear that Modern Greek still has a case system.

Oh, and could someone give me a definitive character map of SP Ionic, please.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Modern to Ancient Greek et alii

Post by benissimus »

Michaelyus wrote:Oh, and could someone give me a definitive character map of SP Ionic, please.
Representing Greek - Font Notes for New Users
You should also have a program called Character Map, which shows you the keys for any font installed on your computer:
Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map
Last edited by benissimus on Sat May 29, 2004 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

blue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blue »

modern greek does have a case system...but without a dative.

if you've got an interest in making modern greek more like ancient, you'd probably like katharevousa. most greeks don't though...it's not the official language anymore, and when it was, barely anyone spoke it anyways.

i don't know if there are any books on it, but there probably are.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

What is you want to do? If you want to just use a modern Greek word in an ancient Greek text composition (like the in the Agora) then yes, if the word doesn't exist in ancient Greek you can use the modern Greek equivalent. Don't decline it the way you would a modern Greek word though, as Blue already said they don't have the dative for example, just use it as if it were an ancient word. You might want to check out its Genitive though to work out which declension would be best.

blue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blue »

^ in modern, the dative is replaced by the accusative, with prepositions added before the article...se (or usually s')-to, and gia'- for. that's demotic; i don't know how katharevousa works.

(sorry, i don't know the right way to write that here yet)

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Michaelyus wrote:I know nearly nothing about Modern Greek, and I have been wondering if one can make a Modern Greek word (say τηλεόραση) conform to the grammatical structure (and dignity) of Attic.
All languages are "dignified."
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

All languages are "dignified."
Uhh... they are? I mean I suppose it depends what you class as a language and what not :wink: .

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Benissimus wrote: You should also have a program called Character Map, which shows you the keys for any font installed on your computer:
Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map
Because this computer is a Windows 98, the Character Map only gives the characters of the keyboard, but I've always used Microsoft Word's more expansive character map (Insert > Symbol).

Does anyone know a good kαθαρεύουσα site?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi michaelyus, i've posted this link before, but in case you missed it, here's the complete keyboard map for spionic:

http://www.bsw.org/fonts/SPIonic.htm

:)