Textkit Logo

Hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Hello

Postby Sopwith » Wed May 19, 2004 6:34 pm

Hello Everyone!

Well, I'm a total beginner at Latin. I've now got my textbooks (which I ordered through the Textkit site from Amazon), but I haven't started in on them yet. I am planning to begin this evening. I am going to try to learn it by myself, without taking an actual course, though hopefully with some of your help when I need it! I'm sure glad this website is here. Anyway, I just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers!
Sopwith
Textkit Neophyte

Postby solitario » Wed May 19, 2004 7:51 pm

Hello & welcome, Sopwith.
Yeah, this site is really good to those of us who struggle alone trying to learn Greek/Latin.
Good luck!
phpbb
solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Postby 1%homeless » Wed May 19, 2004 7:53 pm

Hi. :) Which books did you get? Interesting name you have, looks South-East Asian...?
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Hello

Postby Barrius » Wed May 19, 2004 8:04 pm

Salve Sopwith!

Welcome to the site. You say you are a total beginner - I'm trying to set a record for staying in the same section of the book (not enough time). I'll give you a few days, then I'll be asking you for help :lol:

Seriously, there are plenty of decent folks that are most than willing to help (as long as you make an effort yourself).

I do love the language (Latin) - it's beautful.
Barrius
Textkit Member

Postby eris » Wed May 19, 2004 8:09 pm

Greetings and welcome to the forum, Sopwith!!

There are many nice individuals here to help you with your Latin! I'm also curious as to which books you ordered.

Good luck in your studies!! ^_^
eris
Textkit Member

My Books

Postby Sopwith » Wed May 19, 2004 10:45 pm

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I did a little reading through the boards to find out what text would be the best to use. I read the debate about the advantages and disadvantages between the Wheelock's Latin book vs. the Moreland and Fleischer Latin: An Intensive Course. The Intensive Course sounded pretty good, but I wasn't sure about the intense part as I'm also doing this in my spare time. Then someone in the thread suggested maybe spending a good day with the Intensive Course on the weekend and then following that up during the week by working on the Wheelock's Latin. So I got both books and that's what I'm going to try to do. I've never attempted to teach myself a language before so it'll all be new to me, but from what I can tell from posts on the site, the most important thing is to study regularly even if it is only for a small amount of time a day rather than to wait long periods in between study sessions. Anyway, we'll see how it works out in the execution of the plan. I'm hopeful, but I also know it's going to be work to get somewhere at it. I guess I'm figuring that I won't go too quickly, but at more of a slow and steady pace. Then, maybe eventually sometime down the way, I may know enough Latin to read Ovid's poetry and The Aeneid in the original, and maybe even be able to translate some Latin poetry into English.

So that's my situation starting out. :)
Last edited by Sopwith on Wed May 19, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sopwith
Textkit Neophyte

P.S.

Postby Sopwith » Wed May 19, 2004 10:46 pm

My moniker is taken from the WWI aeroplane called the Sopwith Camel. It's the one Snoopy flew! :D
Sopwith
Textkit Neophyte

Re: P.S.

Postby JuliaP » Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 pm

Sopwith wrote:My moniker is taken from the WWI aeroplane called the Sopwith Camel. It's the one Snoopy flew! :D

I knew it! :)

Good luck with your studies, Sopwith. I'm glad you've found your way to Textkit.
JuliaP
Textkit Neophyte

Re: My Books

Postby annis » Wed May 19, 2004 11:22 pm

Sopwith wrote: I've never attempted to teach myself a language before so it'll all be new to me, but from what I can tell from posts on the site, the most important thing is to study regularly even if it is only for a small amount of time a day rather than to wait long periods in between study sessions.

Excellent advice, which is probably more important than the book you choose (ignoring for the moment truly awful books).

Of course you're not really learning on your own. Any question you ask here in the Latin forum is unlikely to go more than a few hours unanswered. :)

Welcome to Textkit.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Barrius » Thu May 20, 2004 8:18 pm

annis wrote:Of course you're not really learning on your own. Any question you ask here in the Latin forum is unlikely to go more than a few hours unanswered. :)

Sopwith, Annis is being quite the gentleman, he hasn't mentioned that he invents languages as a hobby!
Barrius
Textkit Member

Postby Sopwith » Fri May 21, 2004 1:53 am

Barrius wrote:Sopwith, Annis is being quite the gentleman, he hasn't mentioned that he invents languages as a hobby!

Invents them as a hobby, eh. Well, I figure I'll have enough trouble just learning one that exists already! :D

And thanks everyone for your posts. It's nice to be greeted in such a kind way.

Cheers!
Sopwith
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board