ENA TO XELIDONI (Greek song)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

ENA TO XELIDONI (Greek song)

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

One of my favourite Greek songs is Ena To Xelidoni (One [is] The Sparrow). It represents to the Greeks struggle, hope and freedom. It is written by Odysseas Elytis, winner of the 1979 Nobel Prize in Literature for his work Axion Esti (Worthy It Is).

Here are the lyrics (in Modern Greek) to the song:

[b]ενα το χελιδόνι[/b]

ενα το χελιδόνι και η άνοιξη ακριβή για να γυρίσει ο ήλιος θέλει δουλειά πολλή. θέλει νεκροί χιλιάδες να είναι στους τροχούς θέλει και οι ζωντανοί να δίνουν το αίμα τους. θεέ μου πρωτομάστορα μ’έχτισες μέσα στα βουνά. θεέ μου πρωτομάστορα μ’έκλεισες μες στη θάλασσα. πάρθηκεν άπο τους μάγους το σώμα του μαγιού το’χουνε θάψει σ’ένα μνήμα του πέλαγου. σ’ένα βαθύ πηγάδι το’χουνε κλειστό μύρισε το σκοτάδι και όλη η άβυσσο. θεέ μου πρωτομάστορα μέσα στις πασχαλιές και εσύ. θεέ μου πρωτομάστορα μύρισες την ανάσταση.

The above lyrics were put to music by the great Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis and sung by Grigoris Bithikotsis. If you would like to listen to this song (in real audio format) go to http://kypros.org/Occupied_Cyprus/epikt ... /video.htm and click song no.7 "To Axion Esti - Ena to xelidoni."

Close your eyes... relax... and listen to how beautiful Greek sounds.

Enjoy. :)

εἰρήνη οὐ πόλεμος,

Peter
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Oh, great! It is one of MY favorite Greek song, as well. :D :D :D

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Hi Mingshey,

It is nice to hear from you. I hope you, your wife and baby are doing well.

Another Greek singer that you may like is Petros Gaitanos. His voice is as sweet as honey. I heard him chanting this lovely Byzantine hymn, Oh my sweet spring, this past easter and I have yet to get that chant out of my head -- it's that beautiful! Check some of his songs (especially his hymns) at www.gaitanospetros.gr

I have to run. The HBO show,The Sopranos, is playing in 5 minutes! :)

Take care,

Peter
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thanks! Enjoy the sopranos! ;)