Te mihi inducam???

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Te mihi inducam???

Post by Michaelyus »

SALVETE TODO

Te mihi inducam. Meum nomen "Michael Ly" in lingua britannica est. Nunc, tredecim annos vitae habo,et linguam latinam in domu studeo, solitas.

Is my Latin correct? If not, please correct me. My Latin is really quite bad, and to think I shall be starting a GCSE course in it next year! Me miserum!

Does anyone here know what a British GCSE course in Latin consists of, please?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Welcome!

Regarding the GCSE course, if you go to a school wherein Latin is actually taught you should be fine. If you study it at home and have the full 2 years you'll do it easily. Be aware however of the astounding difference between the unseen translations and the set texts, particularly the verse. Orpheus et Eurydice or "Gaius magnum corpus habebat" ? That's why the majority of GCSE Latin students in school memorize a good English translation for them. I hope you will not do that, you would be missing so much brilliance; it is planned for you to be exposed to them, not dull English translations alone.

Vobis me inducam (I will introduce myself to you [pl.]). (You could use inferre, lit. to bring against [in- prefix to a verb means onto, against since ferre means to carry, bear], hence to introduce as one of its meanings)
Nomen mihi est anglice "Michael Ly". (lit. The name to me Englishly is...)
Tredecim annos sum natus (lit. I am having been born for 13 years. The numeral tredecim agrees although without inflexion with annos. The accusative of extent: duration (time), extent of space is used here to convey "for". natus comes from the deponent verb [having thrown away its active forms for passive] nascor, nasci [-i form of passive infinitive], natus - to be born.)
et domi linguam latinam disco. (Some special words like humus, -i; rus, ruris; and domus, -us [which is irregular] have old locative case forms. This has generally been replaced by the ablative of place apart from singular nouns of the first declension whose locatives come in the form of the genitive singular: Romae, at Rome. So humi, on the ground [note humus, -i to be feminine of the second declension. ruri, in the country; domi, at home. The ablative of domus is domu or domo, but domo is used to mean "from home. Disco, discere, didici means to learn. Studere (+dative) means "to be eager for".) For GCSE Latin however unlike the pathetic robot like modern languages system (if you choose to go that way) is not all terrible. That's to say, for example, you'd have to know all the above and a great deal more to fare well in the higher end of GCSE Latin. Particularly the "Prose Composition" which will be extremely fun.
But it's still eerily easy.

I would NOT follow the Cambridge Latin Course. In fact, please do not! Follow that of D'Ooge instead! He is the MAN!
http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/108/author_id/13/
Last edited by Episcopus on Wed May 05, 2004 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi and welcome to Textkit!
No sorry, I'm afraid I don't know what's in the Latin GCSE course, but maybe Episcopus can help you there. I think there are some websites where you can find out too, or you could always ask your Latin teacher :-P. I honestly doubt most people's Latin will be better than yours on that course... wouldn't they start right at the beginning and not be expecting any knowledge of the language at all?

edit: ah... there's Episcopus already... :wink:

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Welcome!
I just posted in your other thread, realized there already was one, deleted it, haha. One comment: salvete todo? Sounds like Spanish :wink: "Hello everyone" would be "Salvete omnes".
If you've been convinced not to do Cambridge Latin, you don't have to worry about finding another class. Honestly, with textkit, you don't miss much self-studying. So please stick around~
Good luck!