Say hello to everybody

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
meta
Textkit Neophyte

Say hello to everybody

Post by meta »

One more introduction.

Just read Peter's thread "Greek Textbooks".
PeterD wrote:Also, textkit.com is a godsend for us autodidacts -- BRAVO to William (but you may call him Annis), Benissimus, Raya, et al.
???????yu2 wo3 xin1 you3 qi1 qi1 yan1':)'
Actually, I've been hanging here for quite a while. Though I'm not a hard working autodidact, this place really teaches me a lot.

Around two years ago, I opened a large box left in the corner of grandma's home more than 20 years, expecting to find some old books. Luckily it didn't disappoint me.
Most of them were in Russian: Alexander Pushkin and various textbooks(what a pity,its beyond me to read them':(').The others, which are more lovely, were Species Plantarum, E.Johnson's Latin Words of Common English, Allen & Greenough, J.B.Allen's An elementary Latin Grammar and Teach Yourself Greek by Smith&Melluish(1947).

In the first half year of 2002 I almost went through Smith&Melluish slowly and happily while sometimes I felt frustrated. I used to wonder whether it would also give my grandfather such a fun as I enjoyed when he was a student. The portable pamphlet omits accents (because "Sappho and Plato did not need them") and doesn't intend to distinguish Classical and Koine strictly and was not thorough at all. However, as a 'child' before Classical Greek, it's the first time I was absorbed by this beautiful language. In addition to that, the authors have a sense of humor in words and the selected texts are quite curious and readable. To some extent, people could read it as a Book rather than a text book.

Before long a friend sent me Langenscheidt and Ancient Greek(another Teach Yourself,by Gavin Betts&Alan Henry), so I could often check the former but much less the latter.
Unfortunately it seems that once u are absent on business for 1-2 weeks it is very hard to restart it or, more exactly, it is not easy to resolve to spend so many hours on that again. So when first seeing the study groups, I was very happy but immediately feel bad because my time is limited, and I'm afraid I can hardly express myself clearly in English.

Anyhow, although I've almost forgotten those declensions, knowing a little Greek brings me reading experience much pleasure and benefits. It is said that Petrach didn't understand Greek but he treasured an original edition of Humer as holy thing(right?).

For me, reading Plato in Loeb, reciting
[size=134](η δε ἡ τελευτη, ὠ )εχεκρατες,του ἑταιρου ἡμιν ἑγενετο, ἁνδρος,ὡv ἡμεις φαιμεν ἀν, των τοτε ὡν ἐπειραθηεν ἀρισρου και ἀλλωv φρονιμω τατου και δικαιοτατου.[/size]
feels good.

After checking a lot URL from Greek Grammar
http://perswww.kuleuven.ac.be/~u0013314/greekg.htm,
I haven't found a very detailed and convenient pronunciation instruction resource (in English) for free. It's an old problem. After all, teachers can not be replaced by Data for ever. I always hope people could learn AG as a live language, taste the subtle feelings in meter in tone. Like reading some classical masterpieces in Chinese .

hoho, I talked too much and began to worry about grammar :wink: . Maybe one day I could restart a self teaching program diligently. Anyhow being an amateur is something enjoyful.
Thanks for all textkiters. Here is a great website.

p.s. Would u be so kind as to tell me when\how u began to become interested in Greece and Rome? Maybe we can talk about various books in this open board. That's interesting.

Probably my beginning is H.D.F.Kitto's The Greeks in high school...
Recently I skimmed over Plato and the Founding of the Academy: Based on a Letter from Plato, Newly Discovered by John Bremer , an interpretation of Plato with a novel narrative style, but the most lovely part is the story of "bookfinds" goes as a introduction. The lucky guy met Stephanus edition in the dust of an old bookstore in South Africa! In fact it didn't stimulate his appetite yet, other treasures waited for him :shock:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi meta and welcome to Textkit!
I'm afraid I can hardly express myself clearly in English.
Where are you from then? I'm guessing Europe :P ... Langenscheidt points towards Germany or some other German speaking country...

Hope you can find some time to learn Greek, you're certainly interested in it :-).

meta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by meta »

Langenscheidt's Pocket Dictionary,Classical Greek-English

Danke schon. Only know several words in Deutsch. :wink:

Don't u think perhaps I come from China? Maybe I should begin to learn German first. :wink:

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Say hello to everybody

Post by mariek »

Hi Meta,

Welcome to Textkit! I'm glad you finally decided to post an introduction... like they say, better late than never.

meta wrote:???????yu2 wo3 xin1 you3 qi1 qi1 yan1':)'
This looks like Mandarin to me. ?? Unfortunately I don't understand it. I know a bit of Cantonese; Mandarin is on my "to learn" list.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ni shi zhongguo ren ma?

meta
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Say hello to everybody

Post by meta »

mariek wrote: This looks like Mandarin to me. ?? Unfortunately I don't understand it. I know a bit of Cantonese; Mandarin is on my "to learn" list.
That's an idiom from Mencius. Idiom is what lost in translation,isn't it? :wink: Could Textkit forum show Chinese character(GB or Big5 font)?

lei hou lei hou. Cantonese song is great. Although this looks like Greek to me.
Episcopus wrote:Ni shi zhongguo ren ma?
shi a. ni ne? I guess "Episcopus"(zhu jiao) is a pun, u see jiao zhu is...one of my old schoolmates has the same nick name.
Wish u have a good dream. :wink:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Wo bu zhi shuo zhongguo de yu (I think!)

But I do know Zhu3jiao4, and how to write it.

I am still doing the characters - how to write, radicals. Almost finished, then the grammar :lol:

How strange :)

meta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by meta »

Episcopus wrote:Wo bu zhi shuo zhongguo de yu (I think!)
What do u mean? A: I'm not only speak Chinese.
B: I don't know how to speak Chinese.
zhi3--only; zhi1--know :P Which one do u prefer?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

:lol: Obviously B

In 3 days I will begin my grammar course, I hope to speak to you online when I can speak properly :wink:

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Episcopus wrote::lol: Obviously B

You could just say:

Wo bu shuo zhongguohua for that. ;)

And a late welcome to meta! Welcome aboard!

meta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by meta »

Thanks mingshey. Nausicaa is so cute! I guess her second word would be métér.8)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thanks. Nausicaa sounds to say "Nau-" or "Au" for her next word. But it is not clear if she's really trying to say her own name. ;)