Reading Group

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Group

Post by Artemidoros »

I was wondering... would there be any people interested in creating a Reading Group of Classic Literature? We could just choose a book each month, read it and discuss it, just for sheer pleasure. I assume that some people would use translations (as I would! :oops: ), but it would be great to discuss so many masterworks as there are in Greek and Latin Literature.

Does it appeal to somebody? Any proposals for the books? I would propose Tacitus' Annales. It is a book that I find really interesting, with some very dark parts, and always entertaining.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

If you would like, we could run it through Textkit Groups.

Also, if the reading schedule is something I could keep up with - I have a 1 year old and I'm studying Spanish everyday - I would like to join!

jeff
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Sounds like an awesome idea, if we could start it in say about a month from now (I'd be done exams then! :D) that would work for me.

I propose Seutonius' Twelve Caesars for its entertaining prose and historical longevity.

What about switching between a Romana and a Greek author each month?

EDIT: Of course, using a book readily available on grand ol' textkit would make perfect sense...

Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Artemidoros »

I agree about switching Greek and Roman authors each month. I have also thought about a book available on Textkit... Otherwise, there are many editions available on the web. I love Suetonius. That would be also great.

kkkidder
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kkkidder »

Great idea! I'd join in.
I like the idea of alternating Greek and Latin authors.

Katrina

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I'd like to join, but it would depend on the timescale you work out and if the books are available at my school's library. I'd suggest Plato's Republic, it's really interesting - we did half of it at school (really annoying, I hat Zombie for starting and then not finishing books). But as I said, I like the idea, though I'm not sure I could find the time.

Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Artemidoros »

I'd like to join, but it would depend on the timescale you work out and if the books are available at my school's library.
I think we should discuss the timescale, in order to find something that would suit everybody. We may also begin with short works (as you, Emma, suggested, perhaps one of Plato's short dialogues, like Phaedo or Crito) or chop longer works off. About availability, I think most classics can be found everywhere (that is the advantage of being "classics"). Otherwise, there are many translations available on the web.

kkkidder
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kkkidder »

Most of these texts can be downloaded from

http://www.gutenberg.org

or

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu

Arturus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Arturus »

How about Plato's Symposium as an apt starting point? It is available right here on textkit.com, 81 pages, 20 page chunks, done in a month?

Arturus