Does Kindle work with large image-PDFs

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Does Kindle work with large image-PDFs

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I am thinking about buying a Kindle e-book-reader because I am looking for a way to read image-PDFs from Archive.org and Google-Books (plus several other sources), and I want to read them comfortably (i.e. without having to sit in front of a computer) and without the health hazard associated with too much staring at a computer monitor. I am wondering, however, whether Kindle is really up to the task of handling image-PDFs (= PDFs containing only concatenated images) containing up to a thousand (or even more) pages with file sizes of (sometimes) up to 140 MB (e.g. Kepler's Epitome astronomiae copernicanae".

Does anyone have any experience? I would appreciate your comment.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus.
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

flamendialis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Does Kindle work with large image-PDFs

Post by flamendialis »

you can read pdf in kindle,but it's not kindle strong point , it can be sometimes a frustrating effort, it comes with a zoom option and rotating the screen improves the text, sometimes is needed to cut the margin with a program like briss to make the pdf readable, another option is to convert the pdf to mobi format with calibre, may be other ebooks like sony are better prepared to read pdf's i think
respecting big pdf , i have lewis latin dictionary 100 mb, and has no problem in use it, except readibility as i said

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

I have both the Kindle and iPad and find the iPad to be clearly superior in reading pdf documents. Much easier to adjust the viewing parameters, navigate through large documents and annotate text. Haven't tried the Kindle Fire or an android tablet but I think they also would be superior to the regular Kindle.

The screen size for the Kindle Fire is a little too small for may taste. Also not sure how well the Android pdf apps match up against the iPad apps. The GoodReader app is the best one I have found.

I know there are a lot of claims about how much better the E ink screens are compared to backlit screens, but there is not to my knowledge any scientific evidence to back up those claims. Most of the eyestrain issues related to reading on a computer screen are due to poor ergonomics. My eyes are well past middle-age and I have found reading on the iPad to be as comfortable as on the Kindle.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete Ahab & Flamendialis!

Thank you for your help. I think that based on your replies the "Kindle" isn't quite what I am looking for.

Have a nice week,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

beerclark
Textkit Neophyte

Post by beerclark »

I know this is late but the Nook reads pdf's if you are interested in that. If you don't mind talking to a salesman, you can go to a Barnes and Noble and try it out or have them show you.

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

beerclark wrote:I know this is late but the Nook reads pdf's if you are interested in that. If you don't mind talking to a salesman, you can go to a Barnes and Noble and try it out or have them show you.
Have never used a Nook myself, but there is an android app call RepliGo Reader that, based on the reviews I've read, will do a pretty good job with displaying and annotating pdf docs. So it looks like it would be worthile investigating that option. Although it has a smaller screen, the Nook is quite a bit cheaper than the iPad.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs