Caesar

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Caesar

Post by Kerastes »

I know Textkit has the literal Gallic War translation, but is there any interest in a standard school edition of Books I-IV? Or is this need met elsewhere?

Kerastes

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

We plan on posting that as soon as we can. There are two out there that we're interested in. One by Allen and Greenough and the other by D'Ooge. We also have a lengthy Caesar section as part of the 'Second Year Latin' by Kitteredge, but we have not posted that section yet since we want to go after a full-blown Caesar reader.

thanks,

jeff
Textkit Founder

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I also own a book that's somewhat Pharr-like in that it teaches Latin by way of the Gallic wars: grammar notes, exercises and vocab directed at the text. After an intro to the sound and spelling system, pensum primum starts with this:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres;

Which is annotated with vocab and notes. First declension is introduced, then on to lesson two. :)

Bellum Helveticum for Beginners in Latin by Cornelius Marshal Lowe of Heidelberg University and Nathaniel Butler of Colby College. Bart of the Inter-Collegiate Classical Series from Scott, Foresman and Company, 1902.

I'll be sending this to Jeff in the next week or two. It's intense, but some people might like this approach best.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

I have the full 7 books of the Gallic War in a 1905 Macmillan & Co edition edited with notes and introduction by Bond and Walpole. It comes in at a hefty 400 or so pages, but it is fairly clean and I am willing to put it into pdf format and send it if desired.

I also intend, sometime, to finish working on Books 5 to 7 of the Dr Giles Key to the Classics edition and get that sent to Jeff.

chrisb