Vulgate?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Vulgate?

Post by solitario »

SALVETE OMNES!
Jeff, I don't know if you have it yet, but what about the Vulgate? It certainly is public domain.
VALETE BENE!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That's up to Jeff, but the Bible is a huge book and it's already been written, scanned, and translated in many places on the Web, so I wouldn't recommend it :shock:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Furthermore I doubt that the text be beneficial to latin learners since there are so many texts better written. It's quite monotonous and annoying.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:Furthermore I doubt that the text be beneficial to latin learners since there are so many texts better written. It's quite monotonous and annoying.
Its value does not lie in its grammatical beauty. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I would like to see Textkit have as wide a variety of Greek and Latin text as possible. Benissimus is right that it's out there now and we try not to reduplicate content. But if I could find a good reader with line notes, vocab and other instruction content then i would post a Vulgate Latin reader indeed.

Good suggestion.

Thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

jeff wrote:I would like to see Textkit have as wide a variety of Greek and Latin text as possible. Benissimus is right that it's out there now and we try not to reduplicate content. But if I could find a good reader with line notes, vocab and other instruction content then i would post a Vulgate Latin reader indeed.

Good suggestion.

Thanks,
jeff
How about a Greek-Latin parallel edition of just the NT? I have one and it's so great. I can't figure out the copyright stuff though... it has several dates but the text is in german so I can't tell... but the first date listed is 1906. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kerastes »

klewlis wrote:How about a Greek-Latin parallel edition of just the NT?
An interested reader could just about make one from available, already scanned texts on Perseus.
I have one and it's so great. I can't figure out the copyright stuff though... it has several dates but the text is in german so I can't tell... but the first date listed is 1906. :)
It's generally the latest date you have to look for.

Kerastes

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

klewlis wrote: How about a Greek-Latin parallel edition of just the NT? I have one and it's so great. I can't figure out the copyright stuff though... it has several dates but the text is in german so I can't tell... but the first date listed is 1906. :)
Klewlis, would you mind posting some general information about this edition you have? I mean, the name of the publisher, the name(s) of the editors, etc.? I would like to search bookstores to find a copy of this edition.

By the way, the vulgate is available on the Web here: http://www.sacred-texts.com I'll bet it's available at lots of other sites, too.