How much time do you spend studying?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

How much time do you devote to studying?

Less than 1 hour per week
10%
1 to 4 hours per week
30%
5 to 10 hours per week
40%
11 to 15 hours per week
5%
More than 15 hours per week
15%

Total votes: 20

mariek
Global Moderator

How much time do you spend studying?

Post by mariek »

Just curious. How much time do you spend studying Latin or Greek?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

This poll seems vaguely familiar but I suppose the last one was a really long time ago...

I probably spend about 2 hours a week doing my actual Latin schoolwork. As probably everyone can tell, I also spend a lot of time at Textkit and in that time I learn a lot from other people and by answering other people's questions (and occasionally being corrected :oops: ), probably about 1-2 hours a day. I also have a habit of looking up English words in the dictionary when I get curious about their etymology, so I learn both English and Latin words that way, along with random words that I sometimes remember from other languages. On top of that, I just signed up for Latin tutoring at my school (cha-ching!), so I think it's safe to say I spend at least 5-10 hours a week studying.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

5-10 hours, usually, but the boss is away next week, so hopefully 40! :)

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

I spend about an hour a day now on Latin.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

phil wrote:5-10 hours, usually, but the boss is away next week, so hopefully 40! :)
lol. that's quite the job you must have!

(yeah, I do latin on the job too... except on those overnight shifts when my brain gives out!)

ps phil: i'm on the SA for 37. almost there!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

5 days a week, 4 hours a day of Greek
this on my own; additionally 5-7 hours of lessons per week with my tutors
and it stays that way - perhaps getting more intense - until my exams in May.

Mind you,
that isn't all language work; my course involves literature and historical/cultural study as well.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

4 hours a day? The most I do is about 2 hours and that is in holidays and seldom that much even then. Nowadays I do about 3 hours per week...yesterday for example I just came in to the house ate then slept, too tired.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Too freakin much!! Right now....I reading Greek about 1-2 hours per day, and Hebrew about 2 hours per day! This is my last year of required languages though....but I plan on keeping the Greek reading around an hour or two a day. It's kind of nice, because I'm finally at the place where it's not just "studying" and it's starting to become "reading"....thank goodness!! BTW, if I counted all of my study time (classes other than languages) I'd be way over 15

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

About an hour per day except Saterdays, then anywhere from 3 to 6 hours.

SilentFlight
Textkit Neophyte

How much time do you devote to studying?

Post by SilentFlight »

In praesenti, I'm grateful if I can set aside 4 hrs. per week... certainly not enough to become accomplished in a (foreign) language. :?
~ SilentFlight

Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Evito »

I'm currently in university doing Religionstudies but its evident I spend more time reading Latin than I do studying Religion (and I do not read Latin a lot :o)