Hi! I'm new...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
SilentFlight
Textkit Neophyte

Hi! I'm new...

Post by SilentFlight »

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here. This is my first attempt to learn Latin... :idea: :!: I'm taking this on as an independent learner simply because I find the origin of word(s) to be interesting. I'm interested in the sacred aspects that cultivated written languages. I hope this doesn't sound too weird :shock:
I would be interested in hearing from any of you who have studied language origins, and the ancient intent of such.
Last edited by SilentFlight on Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

xn
Textkit Neophyte

Hi! I'm new...

Post by xn »

Hello there!

I can appreciate your interest in word origins. The quest for aspects of the sacred in seemingly mundane subjects has inspired people for millennia, so if it be weird, at least you’re upholding a fine tradition. :) The Oxford Latin Dictionary is a marvelous source for Latin word origins; if you have a large book budget, I’d recommend it.

xn

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

welcome here! and all the best in your new endeavour. be sure to ask any questions you may have.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Salve SilentFlight!
Hello and welcome to TextKit.
Vale bene!

Helen of Troy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helen of Troy »

I can't think of better place for a good etymological discussion then Texkit! People here are very eager to discuss all kind of linguistic and filological metters and are very good in doing it too. Since coming from all over the world, they all have a different approach to the problem. That is what I find more then useful!

So, WILLKOMMEN :D !

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Welcome to textkit SilentFlight! Any questions regarding etymology feel free to post since someone usually has the answer you're looking for! Good luck with the latin.

N30F15H
Textkit Neophyte

Post by N30F15H »

Hi and welcome to Textkit...

I am a robot

Anyway

I agree, im interested in culture etc

SilentFlight
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks!

Post by SilentFlight »

[face=Verdana]Hello!
Thanks for the nice "Welcome." :D
I just want to let you all know that I really do intend to participate. Unfortunately, I am at the beginning of the beginners level. :wink:
All that I have managed to do thus far was gather some learning materials. Wow! I'm amazed to find several great resources-- such as complete texts, that are free to download.
Currently, I don't feel that I have much to contribute. :oops: However, I'm sure that I'll have many questions as I progress in my studies. It's great to know that I can come here to get support, feedback, and info.

Deus vobiscum,

~SilentFlight[/face]

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

no worries, we have lots of beginners here, and in fact everyone is at a slightly different level, so don't worry about where you're at!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bourbon vanilla
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bourbon vanilla »

what a pleasure to discover this! currently i'm procasinating my final paper, and etymology could be a winner!

perhaps we can learn together?

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Hi! I'm new...

Post by mariek »

Hi SilentFlight. Welcome to Textkit!

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Welcome, indeed! ;)
SilentFlight wrote:I'm interested in the sacred aspects that cultivated written languages.
What, exactly, do you mean by this?
The influence of religion in shaping written languages?
Sounds fascinating!

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Raya wrote:Welcome, indeed! ;)
SilentFlight wrote:I'm interested in the sacred aspects that cultivated written languages.
What, exactly, do you mean by this?
The influence of religion in shaping written languages?
Sounds fascinating!
The Germanic runes originally stood as sacred / spiritual symbols. They were later adopted to be phoenetic representations of sounds, influenced by the Greek script which had made its way through trade to the north. Originally they did not function as representations of sounds but rather as expressions of sacred visions and concepts.

I presume this is the kind of thing that he means. :)