Textkit Logo

Toughest Greek you've read....?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Toughest Greek you've read....?

Postby Kopio » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:06 am

I thought I'd ask y'all what the toughest Greek you've ever read is? For me...if would probably have to be Sophopcles (O.R.) or Philo. As far as the New Testament goes....I just read through Hebrews and it kicked my butt fairly well....Lukan stuff isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be (IMHO), and James can be a bit thick.

Well......how about you??
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ptolemaios » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:53 am

Pericles' Funeral Oration (Thucydides 2. 35-46), with Aeschylus Agamemnon shortly following on second place.

Ptolemaios
Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Raya » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:23 am

Pindar, hands down!
(Shame really; I like Pindar.)

I find Aristotle's syntax tricky at times, and - though it might just be that I read Greek slowly - I often get the impression that it causes him great pain to finish a sentence.

I haven't read any Thucydides, but you (Ptolemaios) wouldn't the first person to warn me about Pericles' Funeral Oration...
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby klewlis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:47 pm

I tried to read a bit of Aristotle's Metaphysics once... it was completely impossible. Of course, I am a beginner in classical greek so it is all difficult to me. :P

as for NT, I haven't attempted Hebrews yet but hear it's the toughest of the lot. I haven't had any troubles with Luke whatsoever. It seems to me that Jude was more difficult... but it's been a long time since I attempted that one. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board