Textkit Logo

Looking for languages with nasal vowels

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Postby Lex » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:16 am

benissimus wrote:How many people here can understand IPA, ahem!

I dunno. I can't, without the help of something like this.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: IPA representation

Postby xn » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:00 am

Lex: For ASCII encoding of IPA, my preference would be for X-SAMPA, which would allow as narrow (i.e. detailed) a transcription as might be desired. I too am unfamiliar with those other representation schemes. Yet another ASCII representation is the “IPA Number” scheme from the IPA, which assigns a three-digit number to each IPA symbol.

benissimus: I can usually understand the IPA symbols that are commonly used in western European languages. I find that the consonants are easier to distinguish than the vowels. I only remember a few of the IPA diacritics (e.g. small vertical line for primary stress, “triangular colon” for length, tilde for nasalization), but definitions for the rest of them should be readily available on the Web.

All: For those of you whose native language isn’t English, do your mother-tongue dictionaries use the IPA for representing pronunciation?

xn
xn
Textkit Neophyte

Re: IPA representation

Postby Lex » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:48 pm

xn wrote:Lex: For ASCII encoding of IPA, my preference would be for X-SAMPA, which would allow as narrow (i.e. detailed) a transcription as might be desired. I too am unfamiliar with those other representation schemes. Yet another ASCII representation is the “IPA Number” scheme from the IPA, which assigns a three-digit number to each IPA symbol.

Since you and William are familiar with it, which leads me to believe that it is the most standard standard of the bunch, X-SAMPA seems the way to go. The main thing to me is that there is a convention that we can agree upon, so we don't have to go through this again in the future. :wink:
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Postby N30F15H » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:54 pm

verdana at size 10 is the best
phpbb
N30F15H
Textkit Neophyte

Postby diogo » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:29 pm

Just for the record, if anybody is still interested, I'd like to add that apart from French and Portuguese Polish is another European language with nasal vowels. There are two of them actually.
diogo
Textkit Neophyte

Previous

Return to Open Board