Netscape and SPIONIC

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Netscape and SPIONIC

Post by Paul »

Hi All,

A simple question for any of you using a Mozilla browser to view textkit: do you see SPIONIC text as greek glyphs?

If so, would you be so kind as to post the requisite browser settings?

I cannot get NN 4.7 or 7.0 to behave. I have no difficulties with IE.

Thanks.

Cordially,

Paul

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

If you already have SPIonic font installed on your computer, did you try, at the Mozilla(or Netscape) menu "Edit", selecting "Preferences..." at the bottom, and in the dialog box that pops up? Look at the "Category" box at the left, click and expand "Appearance" tab, and select "Fonts" and look closely near the bottom of the shaded, right-side area, to see if the "Allow documents to use other fonts" option is checked.

Er, if you tried this already, let it be answered by a more c-literate person. :)

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Thank you Mingshey. I have indeed tried what you suggest, to no avail.

I will keep hacking.

There've got to be some Netscape users out there who see greek glyphs in textkit!

-Paul

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

It seems that early Mozilla offerings were poor with respect to font, css, etc.

But Firebird and Firefox seem better in this respect.

Cordially,

Paul

xn
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Netscape and SPIonic

Post by xn »

Paul: I’m using Mozilla 1.6 on Windows 98 SE. I just installed SPIonic (merely by copying the SPIONIC_.TTF file to the \WINDOWS\FONTS directory), and the quote in mingshey’s signature appears Greek. The bulletin board software uses <span style="…"> to specify the typeface, so Netscape 7 ought to know what to do with that HTML element.

As an experiment, here’s the Unicode equivalent (via HTML numeric entities) of mingshey’s Greek text:

πίθου καφεΐνης δέομαι

Netscape 4.7 probably wouldn’t know what to make of it, but Netscape 7 ought to be able to cope with it (if you have a typeface that supports Unicode characters in the Greek range).

xn