Textkit Logo

Intro and a Latin translation on an old German toy

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Intro and a Latin translation on an old German toy

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:15 pm

Hello , My name is Rick, father of three children who also is an avid antique lover and I also restore old automobiles as a hobby.
I live in cold Ohio near the great lakes and long for a warm 70 degree spring day.
I came across an old antique toy said to be from a German Separatist society who formed a small village in Ohio called Zoar. This item is an a childs washstand with mirror and has marking on the back that appear to be Latin. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to direct me in its translation. The markings read ..."mecca Sepreco"
Heres a pic of the stand and the mark. Thanks !

Heres the Back

heres the mark

Heres the front
Rick
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Jeff Tirey » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:49 pm

Hi Rick, I'm from the Cleveland area - Strongsville in fact.

Thanks for joining us,
jeff
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benissimus » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:51 pm

Hi Rick.

I can't read the image very well, but if it says meccas epreco then it is not any Latin that I know of or can find in any of my dictionaries.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:34 pm

Benissmiss, No the markings actually read ..."mecca Sepreco"
I believe maybe Sepreco was or is a French or Italian city at one time. Maybe an Art school. I have seen reference to it on google but only as a location relating to a school. ?????
Rick
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:30 am

Whoops, sorry about the typo. It still doesn't make any sense to me and neither of those words can be found in the Oxford Latin Dictionary or Cassel's or an online dictionary. I am not sure if it might be Medieval Latin... preco looks like an active form of precor (to pray), but it would classically be only in the passive voice. "Mecca" is obviously a city, but I am skeptical of whether this is actually Latin (or correct Latin).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:57 am

Well, I'm not sure, but I think I can see an "i(or I)" in front of "mecca". I hope this gives a clue.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board