You know that you're into Latin when ...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

You know that you're into Latin when ...

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

while shaving you are thinking about a quote from a Terry Pratchett-novel and wonder, whether in Latin one would use a clause of characteristic for one of the quote's constituent parts.

Actually, I was at the time just remembering this wonderful quote from "The Colour of Magic":
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos were lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a mountain in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting "All Gods are bastards!"
I was wondering about the part "he'd be..." and what sort of construction would be used in Latin, especially if expressed not as the apodosis of a conditional sentence but as a stand-alone affair, like "He's the sort to stand..." In that case I thought that a clause of characteristic should be used. Only then did I realize that I'm dissecting a wonderful quote. Is this a good sign, or am I barbaric ;-?

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.