Textkit Logo

Perseus on CD

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Perseus on CD

Postby chrisb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Postscript Books based in the UK are offering the Greek collection of Perseus 2.0 (4CD Roms) at the knock-down price of £19.99. They are also (confusingly) offering Perseus 2.0 (no number of CDs given) for £9.99.

The web address is:
http://www.psbooks.co.uk/

Select 'Browse' and History/Ancient and browse through.
chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Postby 1%homeless » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:19 pm

Wow, I didn't even know it was available in CDs. Can you install all CDs on a local hard drive? It would be quieter and sooo much faster than the website.

Wow... £220.00... that is a steep drop. Is this a really old version or a mistake in pricing?

Hmm... just visited the perseus site and can't find info about a buying it directly from them... I probably can't afford the lastest version, but it would be nice to know how to buy it when I can afford it. :)
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby mingshey » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:48 pm

I have the one CD version of Perseus. You install the browsing program on your local hard disk but the contens are accessible on the CD. It has most of the Perseus texts. The 4 CDs version contains all the other pictures of Greek relics, including buildings, potteries, scuptures, etc.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:28 am

1%homeless wrote:Wow... £220.00... that is a steep drop. Is this a really old version or a mistake in pricing?

If it is a pricing mistake it is a good chance to have a steal :P

Hmm... just visited the perseus site and can't find info about a buying it directly from them... I probably can't afford the lastest version, but it would be nice to know how to buy it when I can afford it. :)

see near the bottom of here

What I can't understand is, why do they have Mac-only version when they have platform independent one? :?
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby 1%homeless » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:00 am

I don't know, if this is latest version, there is something fishy going on... It sounds too good to be true....

Also, perseus has competition:
http://www.tlg.uci.edu/
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Raya » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:07 am

Yeah, they have competition - but have you seen how much the competition charges?! The *cheapest* is $300 for 5 years :shock:

Of course, TLG is a good deal more comprehensive - but what a shame that they, unlike Perseus, don't let you browse all their content unless you're a subscriber.
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby chrisb » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:21 pm

1%homeless wrote:

I don't know, if this is latest version, there is something fishy going on... It sounds too good to be true....

I have bought several books from Postscript, and all of them have been genuine bargains. It could be well worth browsing through Literature/Classics, as I have bought several volumes.

chrisb
chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Postby richc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:25 pm

Just recieved the cd's yesterday.
Took 2 and a half weeks to make it out here to the western U.S. from Europe.
I think they are definitely worth the ordering price. However it is not the same thing as
I've been accustomed to use on their web site. The texts come in a window, greek on the
left, english on the right. In order to access the vocabulary, I had to use a pull down menu
to access the desired word form in a new window, then use another pull down menu in
that window to get the english meaning. Furthermore, the arrow that moves me back and
forth in the text seems to be missing on this software, tho the documentation says it should
be there. I have to change the entry, for the chapter manually.
All this is not to say I'm disapointed in the product. I was still able to access the vocabulary
rather quickly once I figured out how, and the response times for the vocab are much
better than waiting for the hammered peseus server to respond.

Well that's my two cents on the product. I'd definitely recommend it.

cheers
richc
richc
Textkit Neophyte

Postby 1%homeless » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:34 pm

how much is it in dollars?
1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby richc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:24 pm

The full set was 19.99 altogether 24.09 with shipping
this came to 43.64 in dollars. I think it was well worth
the price, given the cost of the loebs..
So, were I to step on the CD tonight when I got home
from work I would probably order another one.

cheers
richc
richc
Textkit Neophyte

Postby klewlis » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:34 pm

richc wrote:The full set was 19.99 altogether 24.09 with shipping
this came to 43.64 in dollars. I think it was well worth
the price, given the cost of the loebs..
So, were I to step on the CD tonight when I got home
from work I would probably order another one.

cheers
richc

depending on what kind of protection the publishers instituted, most cds can be backed up onto secondary cds... in case you lose it or step on it.

43.64USD? So closer to $60CDN and probably more after all the stupid tariffs and junk. still, for all that lit it would be pretty cool.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board