fonts - greek, latin, semitic, hieroglyphs, and more!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

fonts - greek, latin, semitic, hieroglyphs, and more!

Post by klewlis »

First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

Wow!! :D The Sanskrit font is most welcome!

THANKS

chrisb

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Some cool stuff there - even things unavailable from my favourite ancient font site:

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/al ... fonts1.htm

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

That is amazing. Has anyone here ever created a font? Is it hard? I wouldn't mind making a font of my sloppy handwriting so that I can send it to everyone dear to me! :lol:
Last edited by Jeff Tirey on Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Making fonts isn't so much hard as *time consuming*!

Each letter, number, punctuation mark - and every version of it (uppercase, lowercase - sometimes even bold and italic) is a separate graphic you have to draw. And if you're creating fonts for other scripts, you have the fun of deciding on the character map...

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Raya wrote:Making fonts isn't so much hard as *time consuming*!

Each letter, number, punctuation mark - and every version of it (uppercase, lowercase - sometimes even bold and italic) is a separate graphic you have to draw. And if you're creating fonts for other scripts, you have the fun of deciding on the character map...
So they're scanned first, right? I should give that a try - it sounds like fun, but I bet they hard part is making the font look good. I have seen some fonts that just don't layout all that well. Even SPIonic has some problems with the spacings of accents and aspiration marks.
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

You *could* scan in each character first, but so far I find you get better results by drawing them as vector graphics. Or I suppose you can compromise by scanning in and then tweaking... but I think you're still left with one of the major troubles with font appearance, and that is when you scale fonts up and down. By using vector graphics, you're pretty much guaranteed for it to be smooth at all sizes.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

PfaEdit is a free true type font editor that runs on unix-like platforms. You can run it on Linux and Cygwin(on Windows), too.

See PfaEdit

To use it, you'll have to know how to deal with the Bezier curves.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

mingshey wrote:To use it, you'll have to know how to deal with the Bezier curves.
*shudder*

I hate those things.

:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote:
mingshey wrote:To use it, you'll have to know how to deal with the Bezier curves.
*shudder*

I hate those things.

:)
But the tool provides easy method to handle the curve. You can add control points and drag the handle to modify the curve. :)