What's a "ship's timber"?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
tico
Textkit Member

What's a "ship's timber"?

Post by tico »

Hi,

Reading a text, I've found an expression that I can't really understand: a ship's timber. Is this a part of a ship? Or is it a material (wood) used to make ships? Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks a lot for helping,
Tico

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: What's a "ship's timber"?

Post by edonnelly »

It's a part of the ship. I think it's the curvy wood that comes up vertically from the keel, but I'm a landlubber and don't know my ship anatomy that well. Hopefully you'll get a better answer.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello tico!

Mr. Donnelly is right. Webster's New Ecnyclopedic Dictionary gives the following definition:
timber n [...] 4: a curving frame branching outward from the keel of a ship that is usually composed of several pieces united: RIB [Old English, "building, wood"]
For a glossary of shipbuilding terms, see here: http://www.parl.ns.ca/woodenships/terms.htm

Bye,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Hence the phrase "Shiver me timbers!", from when a cannonball hits a ship, and makes the wood shake.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!